X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

Reset.

Gunman walked into Great Mills HS (Chopticon, (St. Mary's County) MD) and opened fire. Reports say a male and female student were hit. Their conditions at this time are unknown.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Reset.

Gunman walked into Great Mills HS (Chopticon, (St. Mary's County) MD) and opened fire. Reports say a male and female student were hit. Their conditions at this time are unknown.
      Sounds like the female student was targeted.
      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
        Sounds like the female student was targeted.
        Appears that an armed "school resource officer" (ie cop) did his/her job.

http://bsun.md/2HO3IqF
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Appears that an armed "school resource officer" (ie cop) did his/her job.

http://bsun.md/2HO3IqF
          I thought their "job" was to prevent the shooting in the first place. In that, they failed.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            I thought their "job" was to prevent the shooting in the first place. In that, they failed.
            Not really. They respond. It's pretty much all anybody can do against a surprise attack.

It's the old Nero Wolfe line: I cannot take the job to prevent your murder, but I will take the job to catch the murderer. Gun control and access control can stop a shooting. The physical responders can only stop some murders from turning into more.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Not really. They respond. It's pretty much all anybody can do against a surprise attack.

It's the old Nero Wolfe line: I cannot take the job to prevent your murder, but I will take the job to catch the murderer. Gun control and access control can stop a shooting. The physical responders can only stop some murders from turning into more.
              Allowing teachers to pack would provide another level of protection. Not only would shooters either stay away or get shot dead, students would be inspired to see their teachers saving lives with guns and would become packers themselves, possibly saving untold lives in the future. A pyramid scheme of safety that really really works!

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                Allowing teachers to pack would provide another level of protection. Not only would shooters either stay away or get shot dead, students would be inspired to see their teachers saving lives with guns and would become packers themselves, possibly saving untold lives in the future. A pyramid scheme of safety that really really works!
                I say we start a pilot program in every red district in the country. Just let me move my daughter first.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  I say we start a pilot program in every red district in the country. Just let me move my daughter first.
                  I thought all parents taught their kids to draw.

Comment

The gun industry want's to award you with a special NRA tribute with that idea.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                      EEK! Put guns in the school - fine. Not in the classroom.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Why does no one want to focus on the associated responsibility that comes with such a privilege? Weapon usage is a last resort, and it is important for all carriers to understand the proper usage of the same, including regular visits to practice ranges. Fictitious media commonly portrays the "gotta have it" mentality, and it's pushed on so many that the notion of irresponsible usage seems to take over in people's minds. Not only would I want to see armed people everywhere, but I would also encourage rifle clubs, where students would be able to learn not only to care for the weapon, how to carry adn use it responsibly, but also have a way to practice marksmanship.

Comment

Here's what happens when you aren't given stand down orders: https://www.infowars.com/report-arme...d-high-school/

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Put guns in the school - fine.
                            How many deaths before we do something about keeping guns out of schools? Would another 100 be enough?
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                              How many deaths before we do something about keeping guns out of schools? Would another 100 be enough?
                              They are already gun-free zones. Yes, you have to look at that also. Yes, it hurts. Yes, you might have to admit that gun-free zones are targets in this mess.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                They are already gun-free zones. Yes, you have to look at that also. Yes, it hurts. Yes, you might have to admit that gun-free zones are targets in this mess.
                                Guess so.

Sorry, but guns are the problem. We must get them off the streets permanently.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X