X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    You literally threw a number?
    Yep. I threw it out. Way out. So far out.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Yep. I threw it out. Way out. So far out.
      Far out is more like 1969. Maybe 1980 in Minnesota.

Comment

The hostage situation is over. Three women and the suspect are dead.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          The hostage situation is over. Three women and the suspect are dead.

Had a feeling it wasn't going to end well. No reason other than a gut feeling.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

That is why I said I was just throwing out a number. I literally (yes, I used that word correctly) was throwing out a number.
            Maybe the number you chose wasn't the issue. I'm guessing you could have gone with 10 or 30 and the result would be similar.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
              Maybe the number you chose wasn't the issue. I'm guessing you could have gone with 10 or 30 and the result would be similar.
              Exactly. I could have said 50, 100, the number really didn't matter. The thought behind the post is what I was really getting at.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                Exactly. I could have said 50, 100, the number really didn't matter. The thought behind the post is what I was really getting at.
                So the number being total made up BS pretty much negates any "thought" being put forth.

So we need to end the violent thoughts people have? As your number shows, those violent thoughts haven't led to increased gun deaths, though you seem to think those thoughts are on the increase. Any ideas why? Any ideas on how to reduce them?

Or are you just throwing that "thought" out there as well?
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  Tell him to quit writing so much stupid sh1t on here, and we'll be good.
                  I dont have to tell him anything. He is posting his thoughts...you are acting like a child.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Our thought process and attitudes towards violence needs to change. Downgrade that violent attitude.
                    No question. Love this. I just have no idea how to do it.

Make more asylums? Have less violent content? More drugs? Less drugs? Different drugs?

Unintended people would be put into asylums, we would legislating all sort of content (free speech), we would end up medicating those who don't need it and/or taking away critical medicine from those who need it. All that because we're trying to optimize these remedies to the 10% of violent people rather than for the greater population for which they are intended.

I believe American violent populous has been 10%? of its total forever. Its just recently that a) we've become more aware of them via mass media b) they've figured out that they can vent technology/weapons. As it has been there forever and because its such a small percentage, I can't imagine there will be any realistic solution to stop violent thinking.

One thing we can do is make it more difficult for the violent to take it out on others though. The best way to do that is to identify the weapon of choice and make it more difficult to use. If that weapon changes...great and then we look at that weapon. At the end of the day...we need to do something.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      I dont have to tell him anything. He is posting his thoughts...you are acting like a child.
                      His thoughts are deep. Based on no facts or evidence. Offering no solutions to any of the complex issues he "thinks" about.

But he's a brilliant thinker and we should all do more to understand him and where he's coming from.
                      Last edited by rufus; 03-10-2018, 09:32 AM.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                        No question. Love this. I just have no idea how to do it.

Make more asylums? Have less violent content? More drugs? Less drugs? Different drugs?

Unintended people would be put into asylums, we would legislating all sort of content (free speech), we would end up medicating those who don't need it and/or taking away critical medicine from those who need it. All that because we're trying to optimize these remedies to the 10% of violent people rather than for the greater population for which they are intended.

I believe American violent populous has been 10%? of its total forever. Its just recently that a) we've become more aware of them via mass media b) they've figured out that they can vent technology/weapons. As it has been there forever and because its such a small percentage, I can't imagine there will be any realistic solution to stop violent thinking.

One thing we can do is make it more difficult for the violent to take it out on others though. The best way to do that is to identify the weapon of choice and make it more difficult to use. If that weapon changes...great and then we look at that weapon. At the end of the day...we need to do something.
                        We can't decrease violent thoughts, I agree. It's the actions/venting we need to change. I also have no clue how to do this. It's very difficult to change a culture. Just spitballing here, we're trying to move a boulder, so let's chip away at it. A bit more gun control is chipping at that boulder. Identifying mental illness is another chip. Those FLA students (and younger generation) marching and protesting is yet another chip.

Hopefully sooner than later, that boulder becomes small enough where it can be moved.

Comment

We can't decrease violent thoughts, I agree. It's the actions/venting we need to change. I also have no clue how to do this. It's very difficult to change a culture. Just spitballing here, we're trying to move a boulder, so let's chip away at it. A bit more gun control is chipping at that boulder. Identifying mental illness is another chip. Those FLA students (and younger generation) marching and protesting is yet another chip.

Hopefully sooner than later, that boulder becomes small enough where it can be moved.
                          I know this sounds crazy, but if you want to get back to the days of fist fights instead of shootings, you take the guns away. It is just that simple. You could make it illegal to carry them in public if you don't want to take them away, leave it so they may be owned and stored at peoples homes but only be transported to and from ranges unloaded and locked in a case. To stop shootings you need to disarm people, this isn't rocket science.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            His thoughts are deep. Based on no facts or evidence. Offering no solutions to any of the complex issues he "thinks" about.

But he's a brilliant thinker and we should all do more to understand him and where he's coming from.
                            You don't have to like what he says (I don't) but you might want to act like an adult not a seven year old. Trust me you sound no more "brilliant" than him.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Justice Department moves to classify bump stocks as "machine guns".

I can't imagine it's that easy.
                              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

I’ve always liked unofan’s post about things like this

Again, executive orders fill in the gaps left by Congress.

The pecking order is:
                                Constitution
                                Statutory law
                                Executive actions

Laws cannot violate the Constitution, and executive actions cannot contradict the Constitution or statutory law. But if the law says "people wearing red are banned," the President can define what constitutes red if Congress didn't. Maybe it includes maroon, or pink, or orange, or anything that includes a bit of red in the digital color scale.

The judiciary gives wide berths on immigration and national security issues, but if this doesn't count as enacting a law respecting religion (as brent argues) or violating the national origin provision of the 1965 law, then the court is simply being a rubber stamp at this point.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X