X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    People mess this up all the time:

The percentage of U.S. households with guns has been trending downward for years. However, gun-owning households have more firearms than they used to — 8 on average vs 4 in 1994 — so the number of guns in the U.S. has actually gone up, per an analysis of multiple polls.

https://www.axios.com/the-percentage...91641d80f.html
    This guy was talking specifically about MN, and IIRC it was not households, it was permits/etc, so actual individuals.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
      you mean under 21

Dicks also called for a complete ban on assault style weapons, a universal database of those banned from owning firearms, and more comprehensive background checks that include all interactions with police and mental health screening

all the trumptards on Facebook are saying they'll never shop there again
      The Story

That is quite the stand to take and is a huge middle finger to the NRA and the Gun Fellators.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
        Dicks sporting goods will stop selling assault rifles and not sell guns to anyone under 18.

Gun people can drown in their tears. It won’t hurt dicks. No ones rights are being infringed
        I hope it works for Dick's and they have my business and support.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          I hope it works for Dick's and they have my business and support.
          Yup. I might go browse and buy stuff this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
            Dicks sporting goods will stop selling assault rifles and not sell guns to anyone under 18.

Gun people can drown in their tears. It won’t hurt dicks. No ones rights are being infringed
            Didn’t they do this after Newtown? I think this might be old news and they’re trying to get a little publicity out of it.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              This guy was talking specifically about MN, and IIRC it was not households, it was permits/etc, so actual individuals.
              The household data is very shaky. I believe it is cited because there isn’t much more to go on. Demographics have changed so much I don’t think you can get much out of it. If you look at permit data from different states they have gone way up in the last 10 years.

Comment

Nothing is going to happen on guns until people vote on that issue, and do it en masse.

Currently elected officials have no reason to move on this.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  Didn’t they do this after Newtown? I think this might be old news and they’re trying to get a little publicity out of it.
                  If you actually read anything you would know that was a temporary ban after Sandy Hook so no it is not old news. Get that from the same source you got your "the kids and parents arent being genuine about their feelings on gun control" BS?
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    If you actually read anything you would know that was a temporary ban after Sandy Hook so no it is not old news. Get that from the same source you got your "the kids and parents arent being genuine about their feelings on gun control" BS?
                    I knew there was a ban, didn’t realize it was temporary. Apologies to anyone I may have upset.

Comment

they did stop selling assault style weapons in Dick's after Sandy Hook but the continued to sell them in their Field & Stream Shops. They are pulling them from Field & Stream Shop now, in addition to calling for a complete ban. I thought the no sales to those under 21 was new policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        I don't think Dicks has sold AR style weapons since Sandy Hook. They did continue to sell them in their Field & Stream Shop subsidiary, which has far fewer locations.

Comment

They did. They stopped selling AR-15s in Dick's and moved all sales to Field & Stream stores. They obviously ended that embargo. The CEO this time said he's done with it.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Perhaps. Would you say there are some 'I'm not coming out of my bunker' types freaking out about the uptick in mass shootings? I'd say the 0.7% of Hennepin county residents signing up for conceal permits is surprisingly low in that context.

Problem with increases in the use of conceal permits is that the presence of guns puts everyone in danger. This as evident by this study discussing their presence at home:

Those persons with guns in the home were at greater risk than those without guns in the home of dying from a homicide in the home (adjusted odds ratio = 1.9, 95% confidence interval: 1.1, 3.4). They were also at greater risk of dying from a firearm homicide, but risk varied by age and whether the person was living with others at the time of death. The risk of dying from a suicide in the home was greater for males in homes with guns than for males without guns in the home (adjusted odds ratio = 10.4, 95% confidence interval: 5.8, 18.9). Persons with guns in the home were also more likely to have died from suicide committed with a firearm than from one committed by using a different method (adjusted odds ratio = 31.1, 95% confidence interval: 19.5, 49.6).

American Journal of Epidemiology

https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/160/10/929/140858
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

45% more people believe we should ban firearms from all workplace locations than those who don't (50% vs. 37%). 95% more people believe we should ban firearms from all schools and universities than those who don't (60% vs. 31%).

A majority advocates 'requiring all gun buyers demonstrate a "genuine need" for a gun, such as a law enforcement job or hunting'.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...arkland-430099
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                                I don't think Dicks has sold AR style weapons since Sandy Hook. They did continue to sell them in their Field & Stream Shop subsidiary, which has far fewer locations.
                                Article I read said the ban was only temporary in 2012 and I found nothing to contradict that but either way it is a technicality since F&S still did. Mea culpa if I chose to read the wrong source (I think it was ABC News)
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X