X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

Originally posted by burd View Post
    No meaningful difference in degree? To use a sloppy metaphor: All autism is the same, regardless of where the patient falls on the spectrum?
    Of course there is a difference in degree. My post was trying be as cynical as possible. However.........let's not kid ourselves here. Just because the Rs have turned corruption into an art form the Ds did not become saints. The lesser of two evils is still evil. The highly functioning autistic is still autistic.
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Groucho Marx
    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
    Ron White
    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
    Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
      Of course there is a difference in degree. My post was trying be as cynical as possible. However.........let's not kid ourselves here. Just because the Rs have turned corruption into an art form the Ds did not become saints. The lesser of two evils is still evil. The highly functioning autistic is still autistic.
      This is sadly true.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        This is sadly true.
        It's meaningless you meant.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          For guns, yes, it's all on R. I'm talking any issue. No D or R goes for "what's best." They go for "what will it take for me to keep my job?" Right now it's guns and that issue. Neither "side" is innocent. It makes me sad.
          Although you may be right on both Ds and Rs sucking up to special interests.

I think you misrepresent the outcomes engineered by the two parties. The Ds have largely still done what's best for the majority of the people of this country - and based on the Obama and Clinton administrations do not overly hose either the rich or business. The Ds happen to side with special interests in also supporting interests of the American people - while the Rs side with special interests to deliver great outcomes for special interests. In terms of integrity of outcomes, the two parties cannot be compared.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Follow up on the gun seizure in Vadnais Heights:
            http://kstp.com/news/families-give-d...4812122/?cat=1

Mark Stowe confirmed the family has many guns and said they are part of a collection. He said most of them are unloaded and are kept in safes.

Um........I think Mr Stowe needs to not be owning guns.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I asked the questions because the "They both do it" lament is used in different contexts. Some use it as a conclusion, a passive defense of conduct they do not want to defend directly. Used that way, it adds nothing to the discussion, since it just states the obvious. "There is corruption on both sides of the aisle" adds nothing to the discussion unless it is followed by a discussion of specifics applicable to the issue at hand. Saying that high functioning autistic is still autistic does nothing to help determine which social situations we should place any one autistic in and under what circumstances.

I don't recall enough of your past posts to know what you meant by your post, buster, so I may be out of line. But it seemed to be a form of false equivalency--an attempt to lump all sinners together. That is increasingly commonplace these days, and it is a very easy but dangerous way for people to avoid exercising judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                I asked the questions because the "They both do it" lament is used in different contexts. Some use it as a conclusion, a passive defense of conduct they do not want to defend directly. Used that way, it adds nothing to the discussion, since it just states the obvious. "There is corruption on both sides of the aisle" adds nothing to the discussion unless it is followed by a discussion of specifics applicable to the issue at hand. Saying that high functioning autistic is still autistic does nothing to help determine which social situations we should place any one autistic in and under what circumstances.

I don't recall enough of your past posts to know what you meant by your post, buster, so I may be out of line. But it seemed to be a form of false equivalency--an attempt to lump all sinners together. That is increasingly commonplace these days, and it is a very easy but dangerous way for people to avoid exercising judgment.
                How can you not recall my past posts? Is it because my career output of posts is a bad week for some here?

I was simply trying to point out that I agreed with Brent. Both sides ARE bad. One side being worse does not make the other good and deserving our praise (or more importantly, our vote). Hell, I've been voting the lesser of two evils for longer than many here have been alive. That being said, at some point (11/16), it reaches at point where the lesser of the two evils is evil enough that I can't accept it.
                "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                Groucho Marx
                "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                Ron White
                Milo Bloom

Comment

How can you not recall my past posts? Is it because my career output of posts is a bad week for some here?

I was simply trying to point out that I agreed with Brent. Both sides ARE bad. One side being worse does not make the other good and deserving our praise (or more importantly, our vote). Hell, I've been voting the lesser of two evils for longer than many here have been alive. That being said, at some point (11/16), it reaches at point where the lesser of the two evils is evil enough that I can't accept it.
                  I'll defend burd here. A couple posts here and there are not enough to understand a poster's style, personality, views overall, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                    No meaningful difference in degree? To use a sloppy metaphor: All autism is the same, regardless of where the patient falls on the spectrum?
                    If you were to ask someone, “would you rather have autism on the mild end of the spectrum or the severe end of the spectrum,” most people will respond, “I’d rather not have it at all.” And that’s why fringe candidates can get elected.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      I'll defend burd here. A couple posts here and there are not enough to understand a poster's style, personality, views overall, etc.
                      Sorry. A poor attempt at joking. (and proving your point at the same time)
                      Groucho Marx
                      Ron White
                      Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        If you were to ask someone, “would you rather have autism on the mild end of the spectrum or the severe end of the spectrum,” most people will respond, “I’d rather not have it at all.” And that’s why fringe candidates can get elected.
                        True. And if you were to tell someone "you will have autism on either the mild or the severe end of the spectrum but you must choose," and they refuse to choose, claiming all forms of autism are alike--that is another way fringe candidates can get elected.

What is much more likely, of course, is that the person who is given the choice cannot choose mild autism because requires him to change a preexisting belief, so he justifies his choice by claiming that all degrees of autism are alike and that it makes no difference which choice he makes.

edit: OK, I guess I've beaten the autistic horse death.
                        Last edited by burd; 03-04-2018, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Sorry. A poor attempt at joking. (and proving your point at the same time)
                          No worries, man.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            The second article proved my point...Trump is already backing off because that stance was a death knell for him if he kept it.
                            Trump's backing off only in the sense that his views reflect only the views of the last person or group he meets with. As I think it was Handy who said, he's a leaf in the wind.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              Trump's backing off only in the sense that his views reflect only the views of the last person or group he meets with. As I think it was Handy who said, he's a leaf in the wind.
                              That was Wash.

Last edited by Kepler; 03-05-2018, 09:02 AM.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

You know what I find funny? People keep talking about R's liking guns and D's not. Wasn't it just a few months ago that BLM were wanting to arm themselves to defend against their opposition? Doesn't Antifa, which was pretty much created as a response to Trump's election, wish to be armed to defend against their opposition? And now, all of a sudden, you want to make yourselves defenseless because of one incident heavily played up in the media?

Talk about easily manipulated.

Comment

Working...
                                X