Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    And yet it's a bandaid that works pretty much everywhere else in the world.
    Yeah, but just look at the brutal dictatorships in places like Australia, Scandinavia and Germany because they have no guns!!

Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

And yet it's a bandaid that works pretty much everywhere else in the world.
    With as many guns that are out there at this very moment, good luck with banning certain guns and confiscating the guns that would be banned (that are already out there). I am for more restrictive laws, remember, but the bigger issue is, IMO, our general attitude towards guns. It's an American attitude, and it stinks.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Just a boring user.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    *sigh* once again, that is a band-aid, and even with my preference for mental health screenings, in this case, it *probably* wouldn't have made a difference. The only thing I can think of is that cool-down law, where the police can confiscate weapons for 48 hours (?) if they thought there was a threat.
    Seriously, how successful do you REALLY think that mental screening will be? How many more times do we need to hear the familiar refrain "he was the nicest guy that we knew in the neighborhood" after another mass shooting?

And HOW is restricting someone because of some potential risk not violating other rights?

Whereas good thinking gun laws can really make people THINK before they get a gun, because it's not as easy. And magazine limits will keep damage to a minimum, just like firing rate limits.

But since you want your precious guns, none of that can ever be talked about. Thank you for yet another multiple murder. When is this ever going to get old to YOU???

Just a boring user.

With as many guns that are out there at this very moment, good luck with banning certain guns and confiscating the guns that would be banned (that are already out there). I am for more restrictive laws, remember, but the bigger issue is, IMO, our general attitude towards guns. It's an American attitude, and it stinks.
    Then be more proactive in restrictions. That's pretty easy. Just like about 2/3 of the public right now.

If enough people get on board, then banning whatever makes sense can be easy.

Are you serious, alfa? Mental screenings could help. The 48hour confiscation would only happen with probable cause. Closing all the little loopholes in background checks would help.

BTW, I don't own any guns, I have no reason to.

You are really looking like a witch-hunter right now.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

And you don't think your attitude towards getting rid of them is part of the "American attitude?"

For fark's sake, we used to regularly confiscate guns at the town border in the wild west. Don't tell me it can't be done, because history and the majority of the rest of the world disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    What part of "shall not be infringed" do people not get?
    You do understand that we've long since abandoned the founding father's Second Amendment. Right?

Here is Madison’s first draft of the Second Amendment:

“The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, a well-armed and well-regulated militia being the best security of a free country.” The intention of Madison (father of the Constitution) was obvious - bearing arms is just a means to an end.

The evidence? Of all the 13 state Constitutions, only one — Pennsylvania’s — granted the right of an individual to own a gun. And even that Constitution gave the state the right to disarm people “for crimes committed” or “real danger of public injury from individuals.” As always, our American forefathers limited any and all freedoms when they clashed with public safety.

In 2008, Justice Antonin Scalia, ruling for the Majority, said that it was. Ignoring over 200 years of precedent, historical context, the Framers’ Intent and the D.C. laws of its elected officials, Scalia relied solely on the text, arbitrarily dividing the Amendment into two parts. The first – “a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State” — he called the prefatory clause. The second part – “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed” — he called the operative clause. Claiming that second part was all that really mattered; Scalia discarded as irrelevant that inconvenient reference to a “state militia.”

https://www.salon.com/2017/12/16/sor...n-gun-control/
    Go Gophers!

It never works to confront the Impotence Militia directly. We can keep the 2nd Amendment and also ban most weapons. We already do it with rocket launchers and explosives and mines and tanks. Military grade rifles fall into the same category as every judge except for a handful of NRA appointees understands.

We're in a weird time interval in which SCOTUS has fallen behind the rest of the country by more than a generation. Arguably that was the Founders' intent: before making significant changes, discover whether a movement is a generational fad or something lasting. But while the Plutes and the Thumpers have managed to freeze time for 40 years, it won't last forever. Changes in America tend to fester for a long time while the power elite hangs on like grim death, finally bursting forward in a period of national hope and confidence. God knows we are due for another after the last fifty years of clever, empty, actionless liberal irony and right wing brutality.
    Last edited by Kepler; 04-05-2018 at 10:38 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    It never works to confront the Impotence Militia directly. We can keep the 2nd Amendment and also ban most weapons. We already do it with rocket launchers and explosives and mines and tanks. Military grade rifles fall into the same category as every judge except for a handful of NRA appointees understands.

We're in a weird time interval in which SCOTUS has fallen behind the rest of the country by more than a generation. Arguably that was the Founders' intent: before making significant changes, discover whether a movement is a generational fad or something lasting. But while the Plutes and the Thumpers have managed to freeze time for 40 years, it won't last forever. Changes in America tend to fester for a long time while the power elite hangs on like grim death, finally bursting forward in a period of national hope and confidence. God knows we are due for another after the last fifty years of clever, empty, actionless liberal irony and right wing brutality.
    Gun control was much more popular 40 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew S. View Post
    Gun control was much more popular 40 years ago.
    Your days of fondling are numbered. Enjoy them.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Your days of fondling are numbered. Enjoy them.
    Life will go on either way. There are plenty of other things I find enjoyment in if the government takes away that right.

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    You must learn to investigate more closely. What you state are the only ones that make national news attention. Consider why that is...
    so there's cases of cops shooting unarmed black men that don't make national news attention?
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

And you don't think your attitude towards getting rid of them is part of the "American attitude?"

For fark's sake, we used to regularly confiscate guns at the town border in the wild west. Don't tell me it can't be done, because history and the majority of the rest of the world disagree.
    And you realize that back then, there were a lot less guns, right? The only way you're going to be able to confiscate guns in this day and age would be a major military operation. Sure, some would turn in their guns, but many many others would go Ruby Ridge on it. Then you play right into their hands of "Gub'ment gonna take our guns!"

Banning all/most guns is not a feasible option. Period. It will not work.

In my perfect world, everyone who is qualified to own a gun, could own a gun, and they would use those guns responsibly. Unfortunately, it's not a perfect world.

Someone gets mad? Gonna go do some shooting. Someone's mental condition acts up a little? Gonna do some shooting.
    Nah, I won't keep my gun in a safe, I'll just put it on top of the fridge, my child can't get to it.
    Better yet, I'll keep it in my nightstand drawer, so I have easy access to it in case my house gets broken into while I'm sleeping.

Stuff like that is what really needs to change.

rock and roller

but the bigger issue is, IMO, our general attitude towards guns. It's an American attitude, and it stinks.
    and why is that solely an American attitude?
    why do the Brits, the Aussies, the Canadians, the Sedes, etc., have the attitudes they do toward guns? What can we be doing to change that 'peculiarly American' attitude towards guns?

tell me, what's your attitude towards covered wagons?

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    and why is that solely an American attitude?
    why do the Brits, the Aussies, the Canadians, the Sedes, etc., have the attitudes they do toward guns? What can we be doing to change that 'peculiarly American' attitude towards guns?

tell me, what's your attitude towards covered wagons?
    I don't know why they have the attitudes they do, and why we have a "shoot 'em up" attitude. It's the million dollar question.

Stop with the snark, please (covered wagons remark). Not helpful.

And you realize that back then, there were a lot less guns, right? The only way you're going to be able to confiscate guns in this day and age would be a major military operation. Sure, some would turn in their guns, but many many others would go Ruby Ridge on it. Then you play right into their hands of "Gub'ment gonna take our guns!"
    Good - that will help us root out the unhinged lawbreakers.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Good - that will help us root out the unhinged lawbreakers.
    1. Funding for such an operation.
    2. Try and figure that situation out without bloodshed on both sides.
    3. Spinning in such a way where the government looks like the good guys.
    4. And of course ensuring that operation is not only successful at the beginning, but remains successful, since Mexico has quite a few guns that they can black-market over the border. You know, like drugs, which we also can't seem to stop. (I'm sure some Canadians have some guns too, but let's be honest: more in MX).
    5. And let's say I have 5 illegal guns. I turn in 4; huh, looks like I'm complying. It's the old house party trick when cops busted you. You have 4 kegs? Give 'em the open one, and one more....still have 2 kegs.

rock and roller

I don't know why they have the attitudes they do, and why we have a "shoot 'em up" attitude. It's the million dollar question.

Stop with the snark, please (covered wagons remark). Not helpful.
    no, it is. the reason why you have no attitude towards covered wagons, is you've never been in one, used one, maybe even seen one.

the reasons why those countries have the attitudes they have towards guns, is their people haven't touched them owned them, used them. because they aren't allowed to. you won't miss what you've never had.

and precisely why we have such a soot 'em up attitude toward them. cause everyone and his re-tarded brother can own one. and not just a pistol. but a full-blown weapon of war.

you raise a couple generations of Americans who have never held an assault rifle, and no one's gonna be clamoring to be allowed one.

I was being facetious.

Since Brent isn't, then on a serious note - if they're willing to attack government officials who have a warrant, fck them.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    no, it is. the reason why you have no attitude towards covered wagons, is you've never been in one, used one, maybe even seen one.

the reasons why those countries have the attitudes they have towards guns, is their people haven't touched them owned them, used them. because they aren't allowed to. you won't miss what you've never had.

and precisely why we have such a soot 'em up attitude toward them. cause everyone and his ******** brother can own one. and not just a pistol. but a full-blown weapon of war.
    You seriously think that no one in those countries have ever touched a gun. Ever. Never mind armed forces of those countries (they have the same gung-ho soldier types, too).

I don't have the shoot 'em up attitude. I have shot guns. I could get a gun. I have a spotless record/clean background. There are many gun owners that are the same way, a few on this board. I'd venture to guess that a majority of gun owners are responsible. Now, you and I know that a majority shouldn't be good enough. That should be the bare minimum.

Thread Information