X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Guns, Guns, And More Guns

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    Perhaps because guns are so easily accessible?
    *sigh* once again, that is a band-aid, and even with my preference for mental health screenings, in this case, it *probably* wouldn't have made a difference. The only thing I can think of is that cool-down law, where the police can confiscate weapons for 48 hours (?) if they thought there was a threat.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      *sigh* once again, that is a band-aid, and even with my preference for mental health screenings, in this case, it *probably* wouldn't have made a difference. The only thing I can think of is that cool-down law, where the police can confiscate weapons for 48 hours (?) if they thought there was a threat.
      And yet it's a bandaid that works pretty much everywhere else in the world.

Comment

Learn from the example of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. http://www.thedailysheeple.com/marti...o-do-so_042018

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
          Didn’t her family tip off the police that they were worried she was going to go shoot up the place? I would think that would be enough probably cause to take the proper precautions.

I’m okay with a drivers license type scheme but it shouldn’t cost any money. It cost me a couple hundred dollars to be able to have some of my guns in mass which wasn’t a problem for me, but not everyone is as lucky as I have been. You don’t have to pay to vote and shouldn’t have to pay for any constitutional right.

I’m nowhere close to being as extreme as you would like me to be.
          Drivers license scheme is not a right. What part of "shall not be infringed" do people not get?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
            and yet, whenever they shoot and kill an unarmed black man, they are completely justified, and should not be second-guessed.

support our men in blue.
            You must learn to investigate more closely. What you state are the only ones that make national news attention. Consider why that is...

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
              Yeah, but just look at the brutal dictatorships in places like Australia, Scandinavia and Germany because they have no guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                With as many guns that are out there at this very moment, good luck with banning certain guns and confiscating the guns that would be banned (that are already out there). I am for more restrictive laws, remember, but the bigger issue is, IMO, our general attitude towards guns. It's an American attitude, and it stinks.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Seriously, how successful do you REALLY think that mental screening will be? How many more times do we need to hear the familiar refrain "he was the nicest guy that we knew in the neighborhood" after another mass shooting?

And HOW is restricting someone because of some potential risk not violating other rights?

Whereas good thinking gun laws can really make people THINK before they get a gun, because it's not as easy. And magazine limits will keep damage to a minimum, just like firing rate limits.

But since you want your precious guns, none of that can ever be talked about. Thank you for yet another multiple murder. When is this ever going to get old to YOU???

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    With as many guns that are out there at this very moment, good luck with banning certain guns and confiscating the guns that would be banned (that are already out there). I am for more restrictive laws, remember, but the bigger issue is, IMO, our general attitude towards guns. It's an American attitude, and it stinks.
                    Then be more proactive in restrictions. That's pretty easy. Just like about 2/3 of the public right now.

If enough people get on board, then banning whatever makes sense can be easy.

Comment

Are you serious, alfa? Mental screenings could help. The 48hour confiscation would only happen with probable cause. Closing all the little loopholes in background checks would help.

BTW, I don't own any guns, I have no reason to.

You are really looking like a witch-hunter right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        And you don't think your attitude towards getting rid of them is part of the "American attitude?"

For fark's sake, we used to regularly confiscate guns at the town border in the wild west. Don't tell me it can't be done, because history and the majority of the rest of the world disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          What part of "shall not be infringed" do people not get?
                          You do understand that we've long since abandoned the founding father's Second Amendment. Right?

Here is Madison’s first draft of the Second Amendment:

“The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, a well-armed and well-regulated militia being the best security of a free country.” The intention of Madison (father of the Constitution) was obvious - bearing arms is just a means to an end.

The evidence? Of all the 13 state Constitutions, only one — Pennsylvania’s — granted the right of an individual to own a gun. And even that Constitution gave the state the right to disarm people “for crimes committed” or “real danger of public injury from individuals.” As always, our American forefathers limited any and all freedoms when they clashed with public safety.

In 2008, Justice Antonin Scalia, ruling for the Majority, said that it was. Ignoring over 200 years of precedent, historical context, the Framers’ Intent and the D.C. laws of its elected officials, Scalia relied solely on the text, arbitrarily dividing the Amendment into two parts. The first – “a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State” — he called the prefatory clause. The second part – “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed” — he called the operative clause. Claiming that second part was all that really mattered; Scalia discarded as irrelevant that inconvenient reference to a “state militia.”

https://www.salon.com/2017/12/16/sor...n-gun-control/
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

It never works to confront the Impotence Militia directly. We can keep the 2nd Amendment and also ban most weapons. We already do it with rocket launchers and explosives and mines and tanks. Military grade rifles fall into the same category as every judge except for a handful of NRA appointees understands.

We're in a weird time interval in which SCOTUS has fallen behind the rest of the country by more than a generation. Arguably that was the Founders' intent: before making significant changes, discover whether a movement is a generational fad or something lasting. But while the Plutes and the Thumpers have managed to freeze time for 40 years, it won't last forever. Changes in America tend to fester for a long time while the power elite hangs on like grim death, finally bursting forward in a period of national hope and confidence. God knows we are due for another after the last fifty years of clever, empty, actionless liberal irony and right wing brutality.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 04-05-2018, 10:38 AM.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              It never works to confront the Impotence Militia directly. We can keep the 2nd Amendment and also ban most weapons. We already do it with rocket launchers and explosives and mines and tanks. Military grade rifles fall into the same category as every judge except for a handful of NRA appointees understands.

We're in a weird time interval in which SCOTUS has fallen behind the rest of the country by more than a generation. Arguably that was the Founders' intent: before making significant changes, discover whether a movement is a generational fad or something lasting. But while the Plutes and the Thumpers have managed to freeze time for 40 years, it won't last forever. Changes in America tend to fester for a long time while the power elite hangs on like grim death, finally bursting forward in a period of national hope and confidence. God knows we are due for another after the last fifty years of clever, empty, actionless liberal irony and right wing brutality.
                              Gun control was much more popular 40 years ago.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                Gun control was much more popular 40 years ago.
                                Your days of fondling are numbered. Enjoy them.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X