LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

Kris Bindulis has been recalled by the Hershey Bears (AHL) from the South Carolina Stingrays (ECHL).

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
      Kris Bindulis has been recalled by the Hershey Bears (AHL) from the South Carolina Stingrays (ECHL).
      Always good to see former players playing in the NHL/AHL, but taking a look at the standings, the Bears are at the bottom of their division, with a record of 25-29-4-5, for 59 points, so it's basically garbage time for the team.

Hopefully he gets a good & fair look while back up so that he'll be playing for the Bears next season, rather than the Stingrays.
      LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Bump
        BLEED BLUE

Comment

Six months plus and back to hockey .

Comment

Nice article by Randy Russon of www.hockeynewsnorth.com and www.saultthisweek.com on Joe Shawhan and the Michigan Tech Huskies winning the WCHA title.

http://www.hockeynewsnorth.com/ncaa/heres-joe-shawhan/

In his first season as a head coach in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association after a multi-year apprenticeship as an assistant, Sault Ste. Marie native Joe Shawhan has guided the Michigan Tech Huskies to a playoff championship.

Shawhan and the Huskies won an all-Upper Peninsula showdown on Saturday with a 2-0 road decision over the Northern Michigan Wildcats.

The 55-year old Shawhan was an assistant with Northern Michigan and his hometown Lake Superior State Lakers before going to Michigan Tech, first as an assistant, then as the bench boss.

The personable, likeable Shawhan had hoped to return to Lake Superior State — where he also spent his collegiate career as a goalie — four years ago but the Lakers instead opted to hire Damon Whitten as head coach.

As the Lakers have continued their losing ways under Whitten, Shawhan has re-defined his status as a top coach from back to when he had a spectacular decade-long run with the erstwhile Soo Indians of the North American Hockey League.

As for the WCHA championship title in which no. 5 seed Michigan Tech was able to shut down and upend no. 2 ranked Northern Michigan, Shawhan gave full credit to his players.

“You can’t say enough about these guys,” Shawhan relayed. “I’m just blessed to be around them and coach them. To play the way that they played is remarkable.”

With the win, Michigan Tech gets an automatic berth as WCHA champions into the National Collegiate Athletic Association championship tournament.

Comment

I think we all know that Shawhan would have been a great fit at Lake State .

Comment

• Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                I think we all know that Shawhan would have been a great fit at Lake State .
                How well would he have done with the peanut budget at LSSU. At Tech, he has one of the top recruiting budgets in the league and the program has had that since they hired Mel Pearson, while our Lakers have been swimming near the bottom of the pond.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                  How well would he have done with the peanut budget at LSSU. At Tech, he has one of the top recruiting budgets in the league and the program has had that since they hired Mel Pearson, while our Lakers have been swimming near the bottom of the pond.
                  We don't know but we did know he had years and years of head coaching experience and successful as well .

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                    We don't know but we did know he had years and years of head coaching experience and successful as well .
                    The Roquettes hated Shawhan. The pay at Tech is double that of Lake State and the money/support for the program is much higher.
                    "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

• Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                      The Roquettes hated Shawhan. The pay at Tech is double that of Lake State and the money/support for the program is much higher.
                      Shawhan also had a lot more to work with talent wise when he took over compared to what Whitten had to work with when he took over.

Comment

Bump 52 pages of spam posts, ridiculous.

Comment

Shawhan also had a lot more to work with talent wise when he took over compared to what Whitten had to work with when he took over.
                          Shawhan also didn't have his Bachelors when he applied to Lake State, right?
                          LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Deman View Post
                            Shawhan also didn't have his Bachelors when he applied to Lake State, right?
                            I don’t remember hearing for sure, but when he didn’t make the cut I was wondering if that was the reason.

Comment

I don’t remember hearing for sure, but when he didn’t make the cut I was wondering if that was the reason.
                              Gotcha, I just remember reading that somewhere. I was just a casual fan during that time period, and have read some of the past threads, but it seemed like a cluster.
                              LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Comment

I believe he earned it when he went to Northern after Roque let him go.
                                BLEED BLUE

Comment

Working...
                                X