Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 237

Thread: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

  1. #101
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    207

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I see that LSSU has a new president, Dr. Rodney Hanley. I hope he is strong supporter of hockey.
    Taking a quick look at the TV6 release, it looks like he worked in Thunder Bay, Winnipeg & NoDak. Hopefully he'll have seen how important Hockey is for those areas (especially NoDak), and work to 1)maintain the program and hopefully if enrollment grows 2) grow the program.
    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

    Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

  2. #102
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,829

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Press release from Alberni Valley (BCHL) on Mitch Oliver's recent commitment to the Lakers.

    http://www.albernivalleybulldogs.ca/...2018-19-season

  3. #103
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    207

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Press release from Alberni Valley (BCHL) on Mitch Oliver's recent commitment to the Lakers.

    http://www.albernivalleybulldogs.ca/...2018-19-season
    I wonder what his critiques are. A defenseman that can find the back of the net? Hell, he has 6 points (3-3) in 7 games so far in the playoffs. There has to be some kind of catch, right?

    I mean, hopefully there isn't one, and he'll solidify the blueline, just seems odd that nobody picked up on this kid.
    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

    Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

  4. #104
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    230

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Methinks the good ship Laker will need a lot of new players coming in after hearing that Whitten is around for another four years, man.

  5. #105
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,829

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Deman View Post
    I wonder what his critiques are. A defenseman that can find the back of the net? Hell, he has 6 points (3-3) in 7 games so far in the playoffs. There has to be some kind of catch, right?

    I mean, hopefully there isn't one, and he'll solidify the blueline, just seems odd that nobody picked up on this kid.
    He did spend last season in the AJHL before going back to the BCHL this season so maybe he slipped through the cracks a bit. And his numbers this season have easily been his best. Most of the big name programs recruit younger players and have a pretty good idea of what their roster will be from season to season, and they don't always have room for late bloomers. They tend to be more concerned with who they may need to push back a season or two because they don't have room for them.

    I think it's likely we'll have 3 new D-man this Fall and my main concern is that with their addition I'm hoping the Lakers will improve their skating at that position (speed, mobility).

  6. #106
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,829

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Kris Bindulis has been recalled by the Hershey Bears (AHL) from the South Carolina Stingrays (ECHL).

  7. #107
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    207

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Kris Bindulis has been recalled by the Hershey Bears (AHL) from the South Carolina Stingrays (ECHL).
    Always good to see former players playing in the NHL/AHL, but taking a look at the standings, the Bears are at the bottom of their division, with a record of 25-29-4-5, for 59 points, so it's basically garbage time for the team.

    Hopefully he gets a good & fair look while back up so that he'll be playing for the Bears next season, rather than the Stingrays.
    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

    Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

  8. #108
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Laker Country
    Posts
    1,342

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Bump

  9. #109
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,886

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Six months plus and back to hockey .

  10. #110
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    230

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Nice article by Randy Russon of www.hockeynewsnorth.com and www.saultthisweek.com on Joe Shawhan and the Michigan Tech Huskies winning the WCHA title.

    http://www.hockeynewsnorth.com/ncaa/heres-joe-shawhan/

    In his first season as a head coach in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association after a multi-year apprenticeship as an assistant, Sault Ste. Marie native Joe Shawhan has guided the Michigan Tech Huskies to a playoff championship.

    Shawhan and the Huskies won an all-Upper Peninsula showdown on Saturday with a 2-0 road decision over the Northern Michigan Wildcats.

    The 55-year old Shawhan was an assistant with Northern Michigan and his hometown Lake Superior State Lakers before going to Michigan Tech, first as an assistant, then as the bench boss.

    The personable, likeable Shawhan had hoped to return to Lake Superior State — where he also spent his collegiate career as a goalie — four years ago but the Lakers instead opted to hire Damon Whitten as head coach.

    As the Lakers have continued their losing ways under Whitten, Shawhan has re-defined his status as a top coach from back to when he had a spectacular decade-long run with the erstwhile Soo Indians of the North American Hockey League.

    As for the WCHA championship title in which no. 5 seed Michigan Tech was able to shut down and upend no. 2 ranked Northern Michigan, Shawhan gave full credit to his players.

    “You can’t say enough about these guys,” Shawhan relayed. “I’m just blessed to be around them and coach them. To play the way that they played is remarkable.”

    With the win, Michigan Tech gets an automatic berth as WCHA champions into the National Collegiate Athletic Association championship tournament.

  11. #111
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,886

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    I think we all know that Shawhan would have been a great fit at Lake State .

  12. #112
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Soo, Mich
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by sm2pk View Post
    I think we all know that Shawhan would have been a great fit at Lake State .
    How well would he have done with the peanut budget at LSSU. At Tech, he has one of the top recruiting budgets in the league and the program has had that since they hired Mel Pearson, while our Lakers have been swimming near the bottom of the pond.

  13. #113
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,886

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RapidsCity View Post
    How well would he have done with the peanut budget at LSSU. At Tech, he has one of the top recruiting budgets in the league and the program has had that since they hired Mel Pearson, while our Lakers have been swimming near the bottom of the pond.
    We don't know but we did know he had years and years of head coaching experience and successful as well .

  14. #114
    Blistering Drive
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Maple Bush
    Posts
    462

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sm2pk View Post
    We don't know but we did know he had years and years of head coaching experience and successful as well .
    The Roquettes hated Shawhan. The pay at Tech is double that of Lake State and the money/support for the program is much higher.
    "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

    óBrett Hull

  15. #115
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,829
    Quote Originally Posted by eye4talent View Post
    The Roquettes hated Shawhan. The pay at Tech is double that of Lake State and the money/support for the program is much higher.
    Shawhan also had a lot more to work with talent wise when he took over compared to what Whitten had to work with when he took over.

  16. #116
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie MI
    Posts
    92

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Bump 52 pages of spam posts, ridiculous.

  17. #117
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    207

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Shawhan also had a lot more to work with talent wise when he took over compared to what Whitten had to work with when he took over.
    Shawhan also didn't have his Bachelors when he applied to Lake State, right?
    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

    Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

  18. #118
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Deman View Post
    Shawhan also didn't have his Bachelors when he applied to Lake State, right?
    I donít remember hearing for sure, but when he didnít make the cut I was wondering if that was the reason.

  19. #119
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    207

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I donít remember hearing for sure, but when he didnít make the cut I was wondering if that was the reason.
    Gotcha, I just remember reading that somewhere. I was just a casual fan during that time period, and have read some of the past threads, but it seemed like a cluster.
    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

    Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

  20. #120
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Laker Country
    Posts
    1,342

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    I believe he earned it when he went to Northern after Roque let him go.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •