LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

Randy Russon's latest column from www.hockeynewsnorth.com talks about another missed opportunity and loss for Lake Superior State and head coach Damon Whitten, who has steered the good ship Laker to four straight losing seasons.

http://www.hockeynewsnorth.com/nojhl...ve/#more-26827

It is not the Ontario Hockey League. But there are players aplenty who get to the OHL via the Northern Ontario Jr. Hockey League.

For those who haven’t noticed — and for those who are blinded by the bright lights of the southern Ontario junior A loops — the NOJHL is a really good league with really good players.

Just from one team alone — the Soo Thunderbirds — current OHLers who got there from the NOJHL include Soo Greyhounds star left winger Boris Katchouk, Kitchener Rangers standout goalie Mario Culina, Erie Otters recently-turned-pro defenceman Owen Headrick, Sudbury Wolves pepper pot forwards Darian Pilon and Drake Pilon and Guelph Storm rookie pivot Keegan Stevenson.

I have had a reputable OHL general manager in Dave Drinkill of Saginaw tell me how impressed he is with the NOJHL and how happy he is with the way top Spirit prospect Camaryn Baber has developed as a rookie centre with the Thunderbirds.

“We are beyond thrilled with how Cam has developed in the NOJHL and under a good coach such as John Parco,” Drinkill relayed to me a while back. “The NOJHL is good league.”

Why it is not more widely respected is mind-boggling.

I mean, you would think, having seen how many players that are developed by the NOJHL for the OHL, that there would be some level of interest shown by Division 1, National Collegiate Athletic Association schools, including the nearby Lake Superior State Lakers, Northern Michigan Wildcats and Michigan Tech Huskies.

Let’s be serious and honest and up front here.

That is, if a player from the NOJHL is good enough to make it to the OHL, then he is certainly good enough to play in the Division 1, Western Collegiate Hockey Association, of which Lake Superior State, Northern Michigan and Michigan Tech are all a part of.

Ah, Lake Superior State, which has two NOJHL teams (Soo Thunderbirds and Soo Eagles) within two miles of it and a third (Blind River Beavers) a mere hour-and-a-half away.

What is Lakers coach Damon Whitten — who has been at the helm of four straight losing seasons at Lake Superior State — thinking by turning a blind eye and a deaf ear to those who tell him over and over again how many good NOJHL players there are right in his own back yard?

Oh well.

What’s the old saying? You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.

At any rate, the OHL does rather well by the NOJHL.

It’s just a pity that the WCHA — especially Lake Superior State — chooses not to.

I guess it’s just another loss for the Lakers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Truth Serum View Post
      Randy Russon's latest column from www.hockeynewsnorth.com talks about another missed opportunity and loss for Lake Superior State and head coach Damon Whitten, who has steered the good ship Laker to four straight losing seasons.

http://www.hockeynewsnorth.com/nojhl...ve/#more-26827

It is not the Ontario Hockey League. But there are players aplenty who get to the OHL via the Northern Ontario Jr. Hockey League.

For those who haven’t noticed — and for those who are blinded by the bright lights of the southern Ontario junior A loops — the NOJHL is a really good league with really good players.

Just from one team alone — the Soo Thunderbirds — current OHLers who got there from the NOJHL include Soo Greyhounds star left winger Boris Katchouk, Kitchener Rangers standout goalie Mario Culina, Erie Otters recently-turned-pro defenceman Owen Headrick, Sudbury Wolves pepper pot forwards Darian Pilon and Drake Pilon and Guelph Storm rookie pivot Keegan Stevenson.

I have had a reputable OHL general manager in Dave Drinkill of Saginaw tell me how impressed he is with the NOJHL and how happy he is with the way top Spirit prospect Camaryn Baber has developed as a rookie centre with the Thunderbirds.

“We are beyond thrilled with how Cam has developed in the NOJHL and under a good coach such as John Parco,” Drinkill relayed to me a while back. “The NOJHL is good league.”

Why it is not more widely respected is mind-boggling.

I mean, you would think, having seen how many players that are developed by the NOJHL for the OHL, that there would be some level of interest shown by Division 1, National Collegiate Athletic Association schools, including the nearby Lake Superior State Lakers, Northern Michigan Wildcats and Michigan Tech Huskies.

Let’s be serious and honest and up front here.

That is, if a player from the NOJHL is good enough to make it to the OHL, then he is certainly good enough to play in the Division 1, Western Collegiate Hockey Association, of which Lake Superior State, Northern Michigan and Michigan Tech are all a part of.

Ah, Lake Superior State, which has two NOJHL teams (Soo Thunderbirds and Soo Eagles) within two miles of it and a third (Blind River Beavers) a mere hour-and-a-half away.

What is Lakers coach Damon Whitten — who has been at the helm of four straight losing seasons at Lake Superior State — thinking by turning a blind eye and a deaf ear to those who tell him over and over again how many good NOJHL players there are right in his own back yard?

Oh well.

What’s the old saying? You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.

At any rate, the OHL does rather well by the NOJHL.

It’s just a pity that the WCHA — especially Lake Superior State — chooses not to.

I guess it’s just another loss for the Lakers.
      Why would those players want to come to LSSU? Why would an up and coming coach want to come to LSSU where resources are non-existent. Do you think a Minnesota State assistant, making $123,500 would take a pay cut for the opportunity to coach a career killer?
      Last edited by RapidsCity; 03-31-2018, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
        A week from today (April 2) will mark the 30 year anniversary of the Lakers first NCAA National Championship when Mark Vermette scored the game winning goal against St. Lawrence in Lake Placid. I would love to hear Bill Crawford's call on Vermette's overtime winner.
        That would be nice. The TV broadcast with Tom Mees doing the play-by-play and Bill Clement doing the color was excellent from what I can remember though. I always thought Tom Mees was great as a college play-by-play guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
          That would be nice. The TV broadcast with Tom Mees doing the play-by-play and Bill Clement doing the color was excellent from what I can remember though. I always thought Tom Mees was great as a college play-by-play guy.
          I agree with you Bill. I'm hoping they will honor the 30th anniversary of the 1988 championship team during GLSW this coming season.
          LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

College Hockey News is reporting that former Lakers coach Scott Borek will be the new head coach at Merrimack.

Comment

College Hockey News is reporting that former Lakers coach Scott Borek will be the new head coach at Merrimack.
              Of all the names I never expected to be named a head coach, that is one of them.
              Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by jsmithe View Post
                Of all the names I never expected to be named a head coach, that is one of them.
                He has a reputation as a pretty good recruiter. But yeah, it's a bit surprising to see him get another Div 1 head coach gig. Seems like assistant/associate coach is more of his niche. He spent a long time at UNH and then more recently at Providence so I guess Merrimack is willing to give him another shot as a head coach.
                Last edited by Bill; 04-09-2018, 02:48 PM.

Comment

The D1 signing period opens up again on Wednesday. I think there will be off-season Laker Hockey Talk shows (held monthly) starting in May. Perhaps Damon will have some NLIs to announce on the May show.

Comment

The Lakers have a new recruit, D-man Alec Semandel, from Janesville of the NAHL. I'm guessing it's for next season although he's a 98 birth date so he could play another season of Junior hockey. I think he's already signed his NLI.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=283884

Also, I saw that Dustin Manz has signed his NLI.
                    Last edited by Bill; 04-12-2018, 08:36 AM.

Comment

More NLIs have come in. Pete Veillette, Mitch Oliver, Miroslav Mucha, Jacob Nordqvist

Comment

More NLIs have come in. Pete Veillette, Mitch Oliver, Miroslav Mucha, Jacob Nordqvist
                        Man, I hope that Veillette's skillset transitions into college hockey. Those are some big points he has consistently put up.
                        LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Spencer DenBeste has also now signed his NLI.

Comment

A couple of things of note from Pocket's Sports Corner show where Damon was a guest of Matt Pocket:

Matt McArdle won't be back with the Lakers this coming season. He will get his degree from LSSU this summer. He could still play college hockey somewhere else for a season while pursuing a graduate degree (he has a year of eligibility left).

It sounds like Denver will be making a trip to the Soo sometime in the next few years to play the Lakers. Nothing firm yet as to year/dates.

Comment

It sounds like Denver will be making a trip to the Soo sometime in the next few years to play the Lakers. Nothing firm yet as to year/dates.
                              Is Notre Dame still supposed to come up to the Soo sometime in the future?
                              LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                                Is Notre Dame still supposed to come up to the Soo sometime in the future?
                                I haven't heard anything new about that; I assume that still may happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X