Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 161

Thread: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

  1. #141
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sault Ste. Siberia, MI
    Posts
    249

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    College Hockey News is reporting that former Lakers coach Scott Borek will be the new head coach at Merrimack.
    Of all the names I never expected to be named a head coach, that is one of them.

  2. #142
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,777

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jsmithe View Post
    Of all the names I never expected to be named a head coach, that is one of them.
    He has a reputation as a pretty good recruiter. But yeah, it's a bit surprising to see him get another Div 1 head coach gig. Seems like assistant/associate coach is more of his niche. He spent a long time at UNH and then more recently at Providence so I guess Merrimack is willing to give him another shot as a head coach.
    Last edited by Bill; 04-09-2018 at 02:48 PM.

  3. #143
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,777

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    The D1 signing period opens up again on Wednesday. I think there will be off-season Laker Hockey Talk shows (held monthly) starting in May. Perhaps Damon will have some NLIs to announce on the May show.

  4. #144
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,777

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    The Lakers have a new recruit, D-man Alec Semandel, from Janesville of the NAHL. I'm guessing it's for next season although he's a 98 birth date so he could play another season of Junior hockey. I think he's already signed his NLI.

    http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=283884

    Also, I saw that Dustin Manz has signed his NLI.
    Last edited by Bill; 04-12-2018 at 08:36 AM.

  5. #145
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,777

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    More NLIs have come in. Pete Veillette, Mitch Oliver, Miroslav Mucha, Jacob Nordqvist

  6. #146
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    202

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    More NLIs have come in. Pete Veillette, Mitch Oliver, Miroslav Mucha, Jacob Nordqvist
    Man, I hope that Veillette's skillset transitions into college hockey. Those are some big points he has consistently put up.
    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

    Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

  7. #147
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,777

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Spencer DenBeste has also now signed his NLI.

  8. #148
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,777

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    A couple of things of note from Pocket's Sports Corner show where Damon was a guest of Matt Pocket:

    Matt McArdle won't be back with the Lakers this coming season. He will get his degree from LSSU this summer. He could still play college hockey somewhere else for a season while pursuing a graduate degree (he has a year of eligibility left).

    It sounds like Denver will be making a trip to the Soo sometime in the next few years to play the Lakers. Nothing firm yet as to year/dates.

  9. #149
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,893

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post

    It sounds like Denver will be making a trip to the Soo sometime in the next few years to play the Lakers. Nothing firm yet as to year/dates.
    Is Notre Dame still supposed to come up to the Soo sometime in the future?
    LSSU hockey-NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

    Arenas visited:
    Taffy Abel Arena (LSSU, 1992)
    Ewigleben Arena (Ferris State, 1997)
    Munn Ice Arena (Michigan State, 1997)
    Berry Events Center (NMU, 2007)
    Lawson Ice Arena (Western Michigan, 2009)
    John McInnes Ice Arena (Michigan Tech, 2009)
    Yost Ice Arena (Michigan, 2010)
    Joyce Ice Center/Compton Family Ice Arena (Notre Dame, 2010/2014)
    BGSU Ice Arena (BGSU, 2013)
    Kohl Center (Wisconsin, 2013)
    Ralph Engelstad Arena (North Dakota, 2014)

  10. #150
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,777

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
    Is Notre Dame still supposed to come up to the Soo sometime in the future?
    I haven't heard anything new about that; I assume that still may happen.

  11. #151
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I haven't heard anything new about that; I assume that still may happen.
    Damon has been pretty mum about it. Hope Jeff Jackson keeps his word.
    Last edited by LSSULaker889294; 04-13-2018 at 06:16 PM.

  12. #152
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,777

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    We have a new recruit, forward Melvin Karlsson from Sweden. Not sure if he's coming next season or the following one.

    http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=231619

  13. #153
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,855

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Seems like a lot of new players coming in again at one time and makes you wonder who will not be coming back .

  14. #154
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,777

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sm2pk View Post
    Seems like a lot of new players coming in again at one time and makes you wonder who will not be coming back .
    From this past season's roster, we know we have at least 7 guys that won't be back. Wright, Chatham, Renz, McArdle, Henke, Hayes and Nenadal. So it's likely we'll have at least 6 or 7 (maybe a couple more) new guys. We can't assume that all of the newer commitments are for this coming season either, despite what the recruiting web sites may project.

  15. #155
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    202

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    From this past season's roster, we know we have at least 7 guys that won't be back. Wright, Chatham, Renz, McArdle, Henke, Hayes and Nenadal. So it's likely we'll have at least 6 or 7 (maybe a couple more) new guys. We can't assume that all of the newer commitments are for this coming season either, despite what the recruiting web sites may project.
    I think that Karlsson will need to clear eligibility too, since he's played a few professional games in Sweden.

    Also, looking at this past season, I think you'll be seeing a couple of extra guys come in, in case of injury. We saw how thin the team got with all the injuries we had this season, hopefully that won't happen again.

    One more thing: Supposedly Bengert got cleared to play next season, so we'll likely see one heck of a fight for the #1 & #2 spots in net this season.
    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

    Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

  16. #156
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,777

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Deman View Post
    I think that Karlsson will need to clear eligibility too, since he's played a few professional games in Sweden.
    Yeah, I saw that too. Could be that they figure he'll be able to practice with the team next season, but have to sit out a year (hopefully less), having 3 years of eligibility. I'm not sure what the timing is of eligibility appeals to the NCAA; probably they've already started that process, maybe they've already had some informal feedback from the NCAA, who knows. It doesn't seem like they would have proceeded as far as having him sign his NLI unless they figured he would be cleared to play at some point.

  17. #157
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,777

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    An NLI has come in from Jesse Tucker; he's 2 or 3 seasons away from joining the Lakers.

  18. #158
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,777

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Press release from LSSU on the guys signing NLIs during this signing period. Although the article refers to this group as the "2018-19 Lakers Hockey class", I don't believe all these guys will be joining the Lakers for the upcoming 2018-19 season. I think Manz, Tucker and DenBeste are at least another season out. We'll have to see about Karlsson.

    http://www.lssulakers.com/sports/m-h...20180417q5wer3
    Last edited by Bill; 04-17-2018 at 05:38 PM.

  19. #159
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sault Ste. Siberia, MI
    Posts
    249

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Press release from LSSU on the guys signing NLIs during this signing period. Although the article refers to this group as the "2018-19 Lakers Hockey class", I don't believe all these guys will be joining the Lakers for the upcoming 2018-19 season. I think Manz, Tucker and DenBeste are at least another season out. We'll have to see about Karlsson.

    http://www.lssulakers.com/sports/m-h...20180417q5wer3
    Does anybody happen to remember who all was signed during the fall signing period?
    Go Lakers!

    Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

  20. #160
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,777

    Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jsmithe View Post
    Does anybody happen to remember who all was signed during the fall signing period?
    Louis Boudon is the only guy I can remember.

    I think Mike Mannara will be coming in this season although he signed his NLI a year or more ago. Same with Ashton Calder and Owen Guy.
    Last edited by Bill; 04-17-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •