Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
    College hockey news shows 15 players coming in for the Lakers in 2018 . That is a lot of players. It also shows just 2 players so far for 2019 .
    That's not very accurate. I think there will likely be between 6-8 new players next season. Some of the guys on their 2018 list won't be with the Lakers until 2019 or later. I think a couple of guys on their list aren't even the picture anymore to become Lakers.
    Last edited by Bill; 03-10-2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

You have to hand it to the new coach at Northern. In his very first season he seems to have righted the ship and made contenders out of the Wild cats . Under Walt Kyle Northern did very little for 15 years and now in one year they are playing better then they have in years.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
        You have to hand it to the new coach at Northern. In his very first season he seems to have righted the ship and made contenders out of the Wild cats . Under Walt Kyle Northern did very little for 15 years and now in one year they are playing better then they have in years.
        Kyle’s record was 265-263-68, with 6 20 win seasons and 6 trips to the Joe and an NCAA tourney appearance. Last year, NMU had the best record in the WCHA after New Years and included a 9 game unbeaten streak. Of all the current head coaches in the WCHA at the end of last year, only Michigan Tech’s Mel Pearson, Bemidji’s Tom Serratore and Minnesota State’s Mike Hastings had better career winning percentages.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          Kyle’s record was 265-263-68, with 6 20 win seasons and 6 trips to the Joe and an NCAA tourney appearance. Last year, NMU had the best record in the WCHA after New Years and included a 9 game unbeaten streak. Of all the current head coaches in the WCHA at the end of last year, only Michigan Tech’s Mel Pearson, Bemidji’s Tom Serratore and Minnesota State’s Mike Hastings had better career winning percentages.

So your going on record saying that Walt should still be coaching the Cats.
          BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
            That wasn’t in there anywhere. Simply refuting the statement that NMU had done “nothing” under Kyle and illutrating that in comparison to other coaches in the league, his record compares favorably.

Potulny has been a terrific hire for NMU and has done an outstanding job.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              That wasn’t in there anywhere. Simply refuting the statement that NMU had done “nothing” under Kyle and illutrating that in comparison to other coaches in the league, his record compares favorably.

Potulny has been a terrific hire for NMU and has done an outstanding job.

Hmm
              BLEED BLUE

Comment

We picked up a new commitment, forward Jesse Tucker, a northern Ontario kid currently playing for North York of the OJHL. He's a 00 birth date so is probably 2-3 seasons away from being with the Lakers.

http://northyork_ojhl.wttstats.point...seasonid=17351

http://pointstreaksites.com/view/nor...02/news_500960
                Last edited by Bill; 03-11-2018, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PerkyforPrez View Post
                  Let's face it, I think the big reason why Kyle isn't coaching the Cats this year is because of the legal issues his ex brought up against him last season. If that doesn't happen, I'm not sure they get rid of him.
                  LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
                    Let's face it, I think the big reason why Kyle isn't coaching the Cats this year is because of the legal issues his ex brought up against him last season. If that doesn't happen, I'm not sure they get rid of him.
                    Completely disagree, that was an after thought and came out to be a bunch of BS. Two things caused his time to go and those charges were not one of them.

Comment

• Re: LSSU Lakers 2018 off-season thread

I see that LSSU has a new president, Dr. Rodney Hanley. I hope he is strong supporter of hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                        I see that LSSU has a new president, Dr. Rodney Hanley. I hope he is strong supporter of hockey.
                        Taking a quick look at the TV6 release, it looks like he worked in Thunder Bay, Winnipeg & NoDak. Hopefully he'll have seen how important Hockey is for those areas (especially NoDak), and work to 1)maintain the program and hopefully if enrollment grows 2) grow the program.
                        LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Press release from Alberni Valley (BCHL) on Mitch Oliver's recent commitment to the Lakers.

http://www.albernivalleybulldogs.ca/...2018-19-season

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                            Press release from Alberni Valley (BCHL) on Mitch Oliver's recent commitment to the Lakers.

http://www.albernivalleybulldogs.ca/...2018-19-season
                            I wonder what his critiques are. A defenseman that can find the back of the net? Hell, he has 6 points (3-3) in 7 games so far in the playoffs. There has to be some kind of catch, right?

I mean, hopefully there isn't one, and he'll solidify the blueline, just seems odd that nobody picked up on this kid.
                            LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Comment

Methinks the good ship Laker will need a lot of new players coming in after hearing that Whitten is around for another four years, man.

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
                                I wonder what his critiques are. A defenseman that can find the back of the net? Hell, he has 6 points (3-3) in 7 games so far in the playoffs. There has to be some kind of catch, right?

I mean, hopefully there isn't one, and he'll solidify the blueline, just seems odd that nobody picked up on this kid.
                                He did spend last season in the AJHL before going back to the BCHL this season so maybe he slipped through the cracks a bit. And his numbers this season have easily been his best. Most of the big name programs recruit younger players and have a pretty good idea of what their roster will be from season to season, and they don't always have room for late bloomers. They tend to be more concerned with who they may need to push back a season or two because they don't have room for them.

I think it's likely we'll have 3 new D-man this Fall and my main concern is that with their addition I'm hoping the Lakers will improve their skating at that position (speed, mobility).

Comment

Working...
                                X