Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ECAC Playofffs: RPI @ Colgate (3/2, 3/3, and maybe 3/4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ECAC Playofffs: RPI @ Colgate (3/2, 3/3, and maybe 3/4)

Frankly, I don’t even think there was any traffic on front of him when he took the penalty. The RPI forward was just trying to press the puck behind the net when Point interefered with him. If it wasn’t at such a crucial juncture in the game, it would have been comical. I have no idea why he did it.

Comment

Just watched the clip, and now I think I know why he did it. Just prior to the penalty a Colgate defenseman toppled an RPI forward into Point causing him to lose his stick. He was probably irked from that. Still, no reason to lose your cool and take a dumb penalty.

Anyway, enough with that issue, what do people think of the upcoming series?

Comment

Originally posted by Marmot View Post
        Just watched the clip, and now I think I know why he did it. Just prior to the penalty a Colgate defenseman toppled an RPI forward into Point causing him to lose his stick. He was probably irked from that. Still, no reason to lose your cool and take a dumb penalty.

Colgate in two.
        COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
          Colgate in two.
          That would certainly make the most sense. But they will play the games anyway.
          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
          Benjamin Franklin
          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
          Gary Player

Comment

Ralph, you watching thru rose colored glasses ? My word, he barely touched the guy, he pushed him a little. The guy didn't have to skate that close to him either. The dirtiest play ever, a suspension ??? Wow !
            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

If you slow it down and look more closely, Point ends up with an RPI #11 stick coming down on his upper back/neck area during the netfront scrum, #11 is then knocked down by the Colgate defenseman on top of Point as well. He then proceeds to not bother picking up his stick and taking out the wrong guy in revenge. Dumb penalty on his part which was called correctly IMO. Go to the settings tab on the lower right of the video and chose "speed", you can slow it down to .25 speed.
              Last edited by LTsatch; 02-25-2018, 12:39 PM.
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

Maybe an innocent penalty, but you don't know that it will end up that way when you intend to do it. RPI player could have gone head-first into the boards, Point gets a game DQ for the first playoff game...there's no room for that crap when it affects an unassuming player or our entire team.

Would like to give kudos to the RPI tv feed. It is consistently one of the best in the league (Qpac is good too, IMO, with great commentators) if not the country. One announcer made a poignant comment that I have believed all year, "Too bad Point is such a good goaltender on a team that only gets him a 13-14-6 record." It was a very keen observation as I have often wondered if - and why - Point will stay.
                C O L G A T E
                2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                1990 NCAA FINALS
                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                  Ralph, you watching thru rose colored glasses ? My word, he barely touched the guy, he pushed him a little. The guy didn't have to skate that close to him either. The dirtiest play ever, a suspension ??? Wow !
                  You do have a Point.

I didn't say dirtiest ever.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Point has six total penalty minutes on the year (including none against Merrimack) so I think his propensity to have a temper is overstated. He took a really dumb penalty last night (particularly in the context of the game situation), but that’s all it was. No way in the world was “the dirtiest play from a goalie in a long time” warranting a suspension. It was a minor for goodness sakes. And not even a roughing minor!
                    Should have been an unsportsmanlike misconduct. And then he got away with a clear trip, which further justifies. Of course, the refs weren't calling anything on you all night, so of course he'd think that he could get away with it.
                    Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 02-25-2018, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Flaggy....you drunk ? Again ?
                      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Flaggy....you drunk ? Again ?
                        No, the keg kicked. And both the tackle and trip were right in front of me. Not the first time we've been screwed over playing you on Senior night. I believe Fridgen's kick mark is still visible on the RPI bench.

Comment

Note to self: sshablak thinks you shouldn't skate close to the net when the puck is behind the net. Stick was on the ice, unbroken, no desire to even pick it up. That's clear unsportsmanlike conduct. You are an idiot.

Comment

It's a little after 2:11 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lggNUIVAPC8 including a couple of replays from different angles. Watching it again, I am even more irritated than before. I am not saying that I haven't seen RPI goalies doing similar things (e.g., Don Cutts). As Flaggie said, he also had ample opportunity to pick up his stick while a teammate had possession.

Anyway, that game is over.
                            Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-26-2018, 07:24 AM.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              Anyway, that game is over.
                              Dang! Now we’ve gone from talking about Colton Point to talking about his brother, “Moot” Point.

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                                Dang! Now we’ve gone from talking about Colton Point to talking about his brother, “Moot” Point.

BTW I asked my brother who has no connection to RPI except through me about the penalty. He has been to two or three RPI games while I was a student and used to be a Ranger season ticket holder. He thought that the penalty was correct. Of course, he was probably going by NHL rules.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X