Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Lucia Apologist

Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Iím nonsomeone who likes details but living in Berlin for a year, I got accustomed to things being done ON THE DOT
    Iím ornery enough to worry about German-level punctuality. I trust in peopleís ability to prioritize. Then again I have no direct reports yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Iím ornery enough to worry about German-level punctuality. I trust in peopleís ability to prioritize. Then again I have no direct reports yet.
    I'm weird with punctuality. I HATE being late myself, but usually don't care one bit if others are (unless others being late are causing me to be late).
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I'm weird with punctuality. I HATE being late myself, but usually don't care one bit if others are (unless others being late are causing me to be late).
    Iím pretty similar. I know life happens. So I might take a heap joke at the personís expense, but will hardly hold it against them.

Very Un-Dude

I trust in peopleís ability to prioritize. Then again I have no direct reports yet.
    Keeps one busy.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by Greyeagle View Post
    Keeps one busy.
    The trusting part, the direct reports part, or both?

Either way, I can only imagine. This year I told my boss I want to go the management route and explore black belt positions. Probably not a coincidence I got tagged.

I need to talk to one of the managers in my dept and ask him if heíd be interested in being a formal or informal mentor.

Very Un-Dude

The trusting part, the direct reports part, or both?

Either way, I can only imagine. This year I told my boss I want to go the management route and explore black belt positions. Probably not a coincidence I got tagged.

I need to talk to one of the managers in my dept and ask him if he’d be interested in being a formal or informal mentor.
    Direct reports - I have 13, five of whom are in CA.
    Good team so the trusting/delegating portion is not an issue.
    I interviewed for a LSS position before I got this one. I was basically told to apply because it was only open to people from my organization with an M rating, glad I didn't get an offer because I know LSS not a role for me. Plus, I really like this position.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Greyeagle View Post
    Direct reports - I have 13, five of whom are in CA.
    Good team so the trusting/delegating portion is not an issue.
    I interviewed for a LSS position before I got this one. I was basically told to apply because it was only open to people from my organization with an M rating, glad I didn't get an offer because I know LSS not a role for me. Plus, I really like this position.
    Happiness is zero direct reports.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Iím nonsomeone who likes details but living in Berlin for a year, I got accustomed to things being done ON THE DOT
    Oh yeah, I've heard about that. To be early is to be on-time, to be on-time is to be almost late, and to be even a minute late? Es ist sehr unhŲflich.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

He fixes the cable?

Talked with a German who stated that he was fired from a job because he was five minutes late. First day after training, something caused his train to be slightly delayed. A few others in his training class lived in the same area and were on the same train. Done. Spent all that money training 4-5 people just to can them on the first day.

Edit: Of course the five minutes may have been 45-60, and the other people in his training class may have numbered 0.
    Last edited by state of hockey; 04-28-2018 at 12:19 AM.

southpaw

Quote Originally Posted by state of hockey View Post
    Talked with a German who stated that he was fired from a job because he was five minutes late. First day after training, something caused his train to be slightly delayed. A few others in his training class lived in the same area and were on the same train. Done. Spent all that money training 4-5 people just to can them on the first day.

Edit: Of course the five minutes may have been 45-60, and the other people in his training class may have numbered 0.
    I've noticed Germans are very concerned with punctuality when it directly affects them (upset at others being late, the trains/buses almost always being late, etc...) but don't give two ****s if their being late affects others.

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by state of hockey View Post

If you are 15 minutes early, youíre five minutes late

Where in Germany will you be going?
    I think Iím going to head there in August. Definitely concentrating on Berlin but might take a few day trips

Lucia Apologist

Where in Germany will you be going?
    I think Iím going to head there in August. Definitely concentrating on Berlin but might take a few day trips
    Munich, Gendorf, and Frankfurt. Iím looking to get a side trip down to Herrsching to visit the place I stayed last year (Gastof Zur Post).

In an unfair twist, we have to be back before 6/15 otherwise the CEO gets involved because of a hold on international travel. So I get screwed out of an extra weekend. :-/

I wouldnít mind making this trip once every year or two. Itís not a terribly expensive trip.
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 04-28-2018 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    If you are 15 minutes early, youíre five minutes late
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Lucia Apologist

Flights booked. Now I have a free weekend starting from Munich on 6/8 and need to be in Frankfurt on Sunday night/Monday morning.

Considering a weekend trip to Oslo. Others on the short list are Lucerne, Prague, trying to be the first American in 150 years from my family to get back to the town we came from. Or just bum around Munich again.

Flights booked. Now I have a free weekend starting from Munich on 6/8 and need to be in Frankfurt on Sunday night/Monday morning.

Considering a weekend trip to Oslo. Others on the short list are Lucerne, Prague, trying to be the first American in 150 years from my family to get back to the town we came from. Or just bum around Munich again.
    If you're doing Norway, don't do Oslo. Do Bergen instead.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

there's a good buck in that racket.

Following mookieís weekend in Bangkok in three, he will be spending the weekend following that in Istanbul.

southpaw

Prague is a fantastic city and I've enjoyed it both times I've visited. Since you're already south in Germany, I would recommend heading to Sud Tirol in northern Italy. Beautiful country with lots of outdoor things to do and see. Plus, it gives you a chance to slow down, especially if you're trying to squeeze in a bunch of places for the work part of the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Following mookieís weekend in Bangkok in three, he will be spending the weekend following that in Istanbul.
    I'm guessing Istanbul is not new to you. What do you do when there for a weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I'm guessing Istanbul is not new to you. What do you do when there for a weekend?
    IINM somebody here has a daughter living there. It may be mookie.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Thread Information