X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Having worked in Houston during the summers (admittedly in the climate controlled portion of the boat, mostly)... they aren't kidding. And that's coming from a resident of Florida.
    From what I gather, Houston gets the worst of the humidity. Austin/San Antonio are drier, but being inland, they get plenty hotter to make up for it.

The bad news - I might be going back in August to kick-off Phase 2. :-/

Comment

Humidity makes all the difference
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
        If a bus scheduled to leave Cleveland at 0230, east-bound, for NYC actually departs at 0600, what time will it arrive in Toledo ... wai...wha?

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...rk-late-toledo
        Was going to say, reminds me a bit of South Park's Canadian Christmas episode. They're in Ontario, end up in Quebec, and I'm immediately thinking they need to turn around.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Austin was hella fun, even for a week-long work trip. If nothing else, it's an outstanding food city (but it's more than that). I'd go back, but not between May and September unless my employer told me to. Monday and Tuesday were in the mid-80s, and even the locals were saying, "Oh you're so lucky to be here before the heat really starts..."
          There really are some good places for food and drinks down there. The music scene was kind of disappointing given it’s supposed to be a claim to fame.

Get out to Pedernales Falls. That was a favorite of mine.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Anyone know anything about starting a business venture in India - specifically cultural issues? 60% likelihood I'll be doing such a thing.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Get out to Pedernales Falls. That was a favorite of mine.
              Thanks. If I end up having to go back in August, no question I'm going to need to get out to Lake Travis, or something a bit cooler.

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              Anyone know anything about starting a business venture in India - specifically cultural issues? 60% likelihood I'll be doing such a thing.
              I don't know about starting a business in India, but I can tell you from my F500 experience that doing business with Indians is very hierarchical. Seniority and ability to speak English matter a lot. Also, I've definitely witnessed that a lot of Indian men struggle with answering to American female managers. Of course, this still happens in white America too, but with Indians it is much more palpable.

Comment

As a female at director level here I can tell you that working with India makes me want to pull my hair out. Women are just not viewed the same over there

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                  As a female at director level here I can tell you that working with India makes me want to pull my hair out. Women are just not viewed the same over there
                  Yeah, it's bad. Now imagine a full-on New Yawker, trans-woman driving the project and dictating the action items.

That's my situation with one client, and the India employees we have working for them, right now.

Comment

Just remember to walk on the right and two steps behind with your eyes and head down. KIDDING! KIDDING! But I’ve worked with enough from Mumbai and Pune to confirm what you report.

The board of directors I serve on, I address the chair as Madam Chair. She’s old school like me and likes it. First time I did it some in the room were aghast. Madam Chair said she couldn’t think of any better way to address the chair.
                    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

how racist .... tsk tsk tsk
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        how racist .... tsk tsk tsk
                        *** are you talking about

Comment

Worked in medicine for years, the last 13 or so in an all female practice. All sorts of cultural issues that varied depending on the part of India, how much exposure to others outside culture, whether family was involved (increased pressure for traditional roles, worse if the upper generations were involved). It was acceptable that we care for the pregnant woman as long as it didn't interfere with what the man felt was right. We could care for the children but if the child was male that became an issue as they grew past kindergarten. There were more than a few cases that the male felt he had dominion over all females (as did his young son), including the person caring for his wife. It could get very interesting when the man assumed he (or another male) would get what he wanted.

This held true for men who worked in the business world at a fairly high level. I always wondered how they got on dealing with 'mixed' groups in their job. It wasn't that they were malicious. They truly believed that it was their rightful place and responsibility to be in charge, just as it was the females place and responsibility to defer. Many of them had little if no flexibility. The concept of considering a female's point of view, needs or wants was inconceivable. Even if they were assimilated into this culture when stressful situations arose they would revert to needing to be in charge.

This wasn't everybody. There were some people who did not have this attitude at all and many of them told me it was because the others came fro different areas of the country. If you are considering business and it will be people based, you would do well to investigate the culture in the area you are entering into.

Comment

I work with many Indians, and have never seen any hint of that kind of behavior in the workplace. I have no idea about my coworkers' home life, but at work they do not exhibit that kind of attitude in the slightest.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

A high level guy in our company who happens to be Indian once said that all he wants in his assistants is to have a pretty smile. My jaw literally dropped. He said he might have to step out from my meeting with him to attend the interview.

He introduced her to me after he came back and proceeded to tell her the same thing he told me.

I just about fell out of my chair. I couldn’t believe it.

Now, that might just be old man syndrome, but I’ve never heard anything like that in a professional setting.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                A high level guy in our company who happens to be Indian once said that all he wants in his assistants is to have a pretty smile. My jaw literally dropped. He said he might have to step out from my meeting with him to attend the interview.

He introduced her to me after he came back and proceeded to tell her the same thing he told me.

I just about fell out of my chair. I couldn’t believe it.

Now, that might just be old man syndrome, but I’ve never heard anything like that in a professional setting.
                                Or he just watched a Mad Men marathon the previous weekend.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X