Clear All

Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Preferably not
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Who else wants to nap after a long trip?
      Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
      —H. L. Mencken

Comment

mookie is the only one at the poolside bar here in Doha wearing bib overalls
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          mookie is the only one at the poolside bar here in Doha wearing bib overalls
          mookie, that could be said at pretty much any poolside bar outside of Omaha.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Just found out my folks are planning a vacation to Florida next year. They're renting one of those 4-bedroom beach houses from an Airbnb-type site for a week and inviting the whole family (themselves, my sister/her husband/two kids, me.)

We'll be in Ormond Beach, a few miles north of Daytona Beach. We're right on the ocean.

Want to hit Universal Studios because I didn't get there last time I went and I want to see the Harry Potter and Simpsons worlds. Also want to get down to Tampa for Busch Gardens because I'm a coaster geek. I'm also in range of Cape Canaveral/Kennedy Space Center, and it would be cool to catch a NASA/SpaceX launch if I'm lucky. Also want to squeeze in snorkeling/scuba diving (bucket list item, still kicking myself for not going to Seabase when I was in Boy Scouts.)

Sister's husband is a huge Left Turn Contest fan, so Daytona International Speedway is probably on the list as well. I'd like to find a performance driving school I can tool around at for a day if I can.

Sister's family is planning to kowtow to the talking mouse - I've been there once, I can take a miss on that.

Any tips for survival in Floridaland, or places worth a look?
            Last edited by Twitch Boy; 04-09-2018, 11:24 AM.
            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
              Just found out my folks are planning a vacation to Florida next year. They're renting one of those 4-bedroom beach houses from an Airbnb-type site for a week and inviting the whole family (themselves, my sister/her husband/two kids, me.)

We'll be in Ormond Beach, a few miles north of Daytona Beach. We're right on the ocean.

Want to hit Universal Studios because I didn't get there last time I went and I want to see the Harry Potter and Simpsons worlds. Also want to get down to Tampa for Busch Gardens because I'm a coaster geek. I'm also in range of Cape Canaveral/Kennedy Space Center, and it would be cool to catch a NASA/SpaceX launch if I'm lucky. Also want to squeeze in snorkeling/scuba diving (bucket list item, still kicking myself for not going to Seabase when I was in Boy Scouts.)

Sister's husband is a huge Left Turn Contest fan, so Daytona International Speedway is probably on the list as well. I'd like to find a performance driving school I can tool around at for a day if I can.

Sister's family is planning to kowtow to the talking mouse - I've been there once, I can take a miss on that.

Any tips for survival in Floridaland, or places worth a look?
              Take a day trip to St. Augustine, the oldest European settlement in the U.S.
              "If you're waiting for hell to freeze over, you're skating on thin ice."

Comment

Spending 3 nights in late May in either the Netherlands or Belgium. Anybody been to either? Any one better than the other?

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                  Spending 3 nights in late May in either the Netherlands or Belgium. Anybody been to either? Any one better than the other?
                  Been to the Netherlands. Would have rather been in Belgium.

Was there for work, so didn't really have time to see any of the sites. I just know that Cantillon and 3 Fonteinen are in Belgium, so that wins it for the Flemish.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I’ve been to Amsterdam several times, also The Hague and Utrecht. I love Amsterdam and will always recommend

Comment

Well depends on what you want, but the museums in Amsterdam are fantastic and worth several days. There is so much to do there you couldn't do it in a month.I recommend the free tours that leave from the main square in downtown Amsterdam as well. You can find them on line. If you want to go to the Anne Frank House you need to make reservations several months ahead.
                      In Belgium there is also a lot to do, but again depends. Bruges has a lot of history and plenty to do and is easily accessible by train. There are lots of history type sites in Belgium as well and every town has something good.( such as the home of Peter Paul Rubins in Antwerp),The people are really into biking and bike races there so you could certainly do that. You do not need a car in either place.
                      The cost of things in both these places is not cheap but it's worth going to. A good bit of research on line is worth it's weight in gold to save money on lodging and transportation. Planning ahead gets you a lot of cheaper options that are not available inside two months out.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Crusin' on the Mouse.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/0...c-bahamas.html
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Selected Air-Ground communications for SWA 1380.

https://youtu.be/FkVTdvcghHc
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

If a bus scheduled to leave Cleveland at 0230, east-bound, for NYC actually departs at 0600, what time will it arrive in Toledo ... wai...wha?

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...rk-late-toledo
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Austin was hella fun, even for a week-long work trip. If nothing else, it's an outstanding food city (but it's more than that). I'd go back, but not between May and September unless my employer told me to. Monday and Tuesday were in the mid-80s, and even the locals were saying, "Oh you're so lucky to be here before the heat really starts..."

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                Austin was hella fun, even for a week-long work trip. If nothing else, it's an outstanding food city (but it's more than that). I'd go back, but not between May and September unless my employer told me to. Monday and Tuesday were in the mid-80s, and even the locals were saying, "Oh you're so lucky to be here before the heat really starts..."
                                Having worked in Houston during the summers (admittedly in the climate controlled portion of the boat, mostly)... they aren't kidding. And that's coming from a resident of Florida.

Comment

Working...
                                X