Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    Just found out my folks are planning a vacation to Florida next year. They're renting one of those 4-bedroom beach houses from an Airbnb-type site for a week and inviting the whole family (themselves, my sister/her husband/two kids, me.)

We'll be in Ormond Beach, a few miles north of Daytona Beach. We're right on the ocean.

Want to hit Universal Studios because I didn't get there last time I went and I want to see the Harry Potter and Simpsons worlds. Also want to get down to Tampa for Busch Gardens because I'm a coaster geek. I'm also in range of Cape Canaveral/Kennedy Space Center, and it would be cool to catch a NASA/SpaceX launch if I'm lucky. Also want to squeeze in snorkeling/scuba diving (bucket list item, still kicking myself for not going to Seabase when I was in Boy Scouts.)

Sister's husband is a huge Left Turn Contest fan, so Daytona International Speedway is probably on the list as well. I'd like to find a performance driving school I can tool around at for a day if I can.

Sister's family is planning to kowtow to the talking mouse - I've been there once, I can take a miss on that.

Any tips for survival in Floridaland, or places worth a look?
    Take a day trip to St. Augustine, the oldest European settlement in the U.S.
    "If you're waiting for hell to freeze over, you're skating on thin ice."

southpaw

Spending 3 nights in late May in either the Netherlands or Belgium. Anybody been to either? Any one better than the other?

Quote Originally Posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
    Spending 3 nights in late May in either the Netherlands or Belgium. Anybody been to either? Any one better than the other?
    Been to the Netherlands. Would have rather been in Belgium.

Was there for work, so didn't really have time to see any of the sites. I just know that Cantillon and 3 Fonteinen are in Belgium, so that wins it for the Flemish.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Iíve been to Amsterdam several times, also The Hague and Utrecht. I love Amsterdam and will always recommend

Still upright

Well depends on what you want, but the museums in Amsterdam are fantastic and worth several days. There is so much to do there you couldn't do it in a month.I recommend the free tours that leave from the main square in downtown Amsterdam as well. You can find them on line. If you want to go to the Anne Frank House you need to make reservations several months ahead.
    In Belgium there is also a lot to do, but again depends. Bruges has a lot of history and plenty to do and is easily accessible by train. There are lots of history type sites in Belgium as well and every town has something good.( such as the home of Peter Paul Rubins in Antwerp),The people are really into biking and bike races there so you could certainly do that. You do not need a car in either place.
    The cost of things in both these places is not cheap but it's worth going to. A good bit of research on line is worth it's weight in gold to save money on lodging and transportation. Planning ahead gets you a lot of cheaper options that are not available inside two months out.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Selected Air-Ground communications for SWA 1380.

https://youtu.be/FkVTdvcghHc

Kicizapi Cetan

If a bus scheduled to leave Cleveland at 0230, east-bound, for NYC actually departs at 0600, what time will it arrive in Toledo ... wai...wha?

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...rk-late-toledo
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

TDS Index Case FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Austin was hella fun, even for a week-long work trip. If nothing else, it's an outstanding food city (but it's more than that). I'd go back, but not between May and September unless my employer told me to. Monday and Tuesday were in the mid-80s, and even the locals were saying, "Oh you're so lucky to be here before the heat really starts..."
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Capt

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Austin was hella fun, even for a week-long work trip. If nothing else, it's an outstanding food city (but it's more than that). I'd go back, but not between May and September unless my employer told me to. Monday and Tuesday were in the mid-80s, and even the locals were saying, "Oh you're so lucky to be here before the heat really starts..."
    Having worked in Houston during the summers (admittedly in the climate controlled portion of the boat, mostly)... they aren't kidding. And that's coming from a resident of Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    Having worked in Houston during the summers (admittedly in the climate controlled portion of the boat, mostly)... they aren't kidding. And that's coming from a resident of Florida.
    From what I gather, Houston gets the worst of the humidity. Austin/San Antonio are drier, but being inland, they get plenty hotter to make up for it.

The bad news - I might be going back in August to kick-off Phase 2. :-/
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

there's a good buck in that racket.

Humidity makes all the difference

Made in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    If a bus scheduled to leave Cleveland at 0230, east-bound, for NYC actually departs at 0600, what time will it arrive in Toledo ... wai...wha?

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...rk-late-toledo
    Was going to say, reminds me a bit of South Park's Canadian Christmas episode. They're in Ontario, end up in Quebec, and I'm immediately thinking they need to turn around.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

"Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    There really are some good places for food and drinks down there. The music scene was kind of disappointing given itís supposed to be a claim to fame.

Get out to Pedernales Falls. That was a favorite of mine.

Anyone know anything about starting a business venture in India - specifically cultural issues? 60% likelihood I'll be doing such a thing.
    Go Gophers!

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Get out to Pedernales Falls. That was a favorite of mine.
    Thanks. If I end up having to go back in August, no question I'm going to need to get out to Lake Travis, or something a bit cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Anyone know anything about starting a business venture in India - specifically cultural issues? 60% likelihood I'll be doing such a thing.
    I don't know about starting a business in India, but I can tell you from my F500 experience that doing business with Indians is very hierarchical. Seniority and ability to speak English matter a lot. Also, I've definitely witnessed that a lot of Indian men struggle with answering to American female managers. Of course, this still happens in white America too, but with Indians it is much more palpable.

As a female at director level here I can tell you that working with India makes me want to pull my hair out. Women are just not viewed the same over there

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    As a female at director level here I can tell you that working with India makes me want to pull my hair out. Women are just not viewed the same over there
    Yeah, it's bad. Now imagine a full-on New Yawker, trans-woman driving the project and dictating the action items.

That's my situation with one client, and the India employees we have working for them, right now.

Kicizapi Cetan
    Just remember to walk on the right and two steps behind with your eyes and head down. KIDDING! KIDDING! But Iíve worked with enough from Mumbai and Pune to confirm what you report.

The board of directors I serve on, I address the chair as Madam Chair. Sheís old school like me and likes it. First time I did it some in the room were aghast. Madam Chair said she couldnít think of any better way to address the chair.

there's a good buck in that racket.

how racist .... tsk tsk tsk
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Thread Information