Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

The Original Dope Detector theprofromdover's Avatar

Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Just booked a trip to South Korea in April to meet my new granddaughter!

Quote Originally Posted by theprofromdover View Post
    Cool!

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by theprofromdover View Post
    Should be there already

That was fun. Always good to remember bacon & booze is only a quick flight away

@drgridlock: United flight had to be diverted because it accidentally had a dog onboard http://wapo.st/2plDzYT

Getting ready to head out. This place is packed. The amount of cars and people at 130a last night was unseen by mookie. Even cities like Bangkok and nyc tend to thin a bit by then

Love worthless money.

Get in a cab and driver confuses Marriott with marriooooooot.

So we go over an extra 2 bridges and have to cut through a security gate, but mookie gets to see a street with coffee shops and the fare comes to 20 LE instead of 10 LE ($1.15 vs 60 cents)

Good to be paid in usd (for now).

If they drag you off the flight - $20,000? Kill the dog - $30,000??

http://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/bumped-...ry?id=53956077

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    If they drag you off the flight - $20,000? Kill the dog - $30,000??

http://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/bumped-...ry?id=53956077
    Key word - it's worth up to $10k. So they may only honor slightly more than the amount paid for the segment she was bumped off of.

Also, it's potentially considered income, so United will be sending her tax forms she'll have to file with the IRS on her return next year.

Made in the USA

Road trip time coming soon. FlagDUDETTE and I have 4 states in the lower 48 to reach together: North Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, and New Jersey. Yes, I know the last one's fairly easy (not odd though, considering the 48th state for my vehicle was Delaware). So, the $64,000 question... any recommendations for things to do in the first three listed states? We'd prefer to go in the summertime, and I don't think we have UNO or UND on the schedule.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Road trip time coming soon. FlagDUDETTE and I have 4 states in the lower 48 to reach together: North Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, and New Jersey. Yes, I know the last one's fairly easy (not odd though, considering the 48th state for my vehicle was Delaware). So, the $64,000 question... any recommendations for things to do in the first three listed states? We'd prefer to go in the summertime, and I don't think we have UNO or UND on the schedule.
    For both ND and NE, you don't have to go much farther west than about 10 miles past I-29. Fargo will have pretty much everything and anything ND can offer, which isn't much. NE has some small town baseball available, if you don't want to go as far south as Omaha. IA is supposed to be decent along the border for finding different things. Council Bluffs, IA, if you are in fact going down to Omaha, is supposed to be really nice.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

Made in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    For both ND and NE, you don't have to go much farther west than about 10 miles past I-29. Fargo will have pretty much everything and anything ND can offer, which isn't much. NE has some small town baseball available, if you don't want to go as far south as Omaha. IA is supposed to be decent along the border for finding different things. Council Bluffs, IA, if you are in fact going down to Omaha, is supposed to be really nice.
    Thanks, I do remember driving along the Missouri Valley on my way to a Juniors game after RPI played SCSU and it was quite beautiful; I had decided to clip North Dakota so I could say I've been there; first time I'd seen 65 MPH on a 2-lane. I know FlagDUDETTE wasn't too happy about some of our "driving vacations" in the past (especially the one where we went through South Carolina), but hopefully we'll be able to work something out.

I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.

Fighting Sioux Fan Forever

If you really want to see something in North Dakota, see Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l Park (aka the Badlands). And if you play golf, play Bully Pulpit. It has three holes in the Badlands. Otherwise, don't bother.
    Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Will have to return. Pretty neat place.

If it's strip malls you like, stay in Fargo. SW Nodak, around the badlands, though is an entirely different experience.
    Last edited by burd; 03-24-2018 at 11:35 AM.

wubba lubba dub dub
    If it's strip malls you like, stay in Fargo. SW Nodak, around the badlands, though is an entirely different experience.
    I was thinking more along the lines of local festivals, maybe some small town baseball games, etc., not topography. Thatís a much longer drive, and requires a lot of boring landscape to get there.

I was thinking more along the lines of local festivals, maybe some small town baseball games, etc., not topography. Thatís a much longer drive, and requires a lot of boring landscape to get there.
    Yeah, I figured, and it's an entirely appropriate point to make with someone from outside wondering about what to see. He's not gonna fly into Dickinson to see the badlands or drive there from Fargo. But that is partly why the area is so delightful once you get there.

Made in the USA

Yeah, I figured, and it's an entirely appropriate point to make with someone from outside wondering about what to see. He's not gonna fly into Dickinson to see the badlands or drive there from Fargo. But that is partly why the area is so delightful once you get there.
    I'm not going to fly anywhere. I'll definitely take the Badlands into consideration, though, as they were particularly nice in western SD.

southpaw

3 weeks in and I'm loving living in Germany. Hopped a train on Monday to Innsbruck for a quick 2 nights and some snowshoeing in the Alps. We're not going to buy a car, so we're relying on the public transportation system. While amazing and more often than not on time, I realize why so many Germans get all upset at it. Handful of "just roll with it" type of situations but we've been able to get where we've wanted to go.

Heading to Salzburg next weekend with some friends and then planning to hit up Prague in a month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    I'm not going to fly anywhere. I'll definitely take the Badlands into consideration, though, as they were particularly nice in western SD.
    It's not for everyone, flag. It's a long drive out there, and it's not like great mountain vistas, beautiful river valleys (though there are some), or shores. It's austere, and it can seem lonely, but if you are comfortable with that aspect of the west, it's beautiful. Contemplative, for some.

And you will feel Teddy's spirit--the urge to convert large areas of land from private ownership to federal in order to protect them.
    Last edited by burd; 03-25-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Thread Information