Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
    Flying into Oslo in 2 weeks to meet family for a vacation. My sister was able to get a flight from Bergen to Minneapolis at the end of our trip so they at least exist if that's what you are looking for.
    I don't know of any direct flights between Bergen and MSP, but you can fly direct into New York from Bergen, and, I believe in 2019, Norwegian Air is expanding to MSP, and at that point we will get direct service to Bergen.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
    Flying into Oslo in 2 weeks to meet family for a vacation. My sister was able to get a flight from Bergen to Minneapolis at the end of our trip so they at least exist if that's what you are looking for.
    I meant there aren't many good options. Most have overnights in Oslo. No directs from Munich.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

The plural of anecdote is not data

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't know of any direct flights between Bergen and MSP, but you can fly direct into New York from Bergen, and, I believe in 2019, Norwegian Air is expanding to MSP, and at that point we will get direct service to Bergen.
    You are right, it is not a direct flight. They stop briefly in Iceland.

I am flying Icelandair out of Cleveland to Oslo both ways with 1 stop in Iceland. Overall the prices was not too bad.
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I meant there aren't many good options. Most have overnights in Oslo. No directs from Munich.
    I'm surprised there are no better options, but I haven't searched from Munich before. Between SAS and NOR there are flights between Oslo and Bergen about once an hour.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Lucia Apologist

Well my problem is leaving Munich Friday night and returning to Frankfurt Sunday evening. It can be done. Just not always cheap or conveniently.

Well my problem is leaving Munich Friday night and returning to Frankfurt Sunday evening. It can be done. Just not always cheap or conveniently.
    Do a weekend in Berlin. Itís my absolute favorite place on earth

Lucia Apologist

Being 100% honest, the last two times I was in Berlin I wasnít feeling it. Being just as honest, that was 15 and 16 years ago. Iíve obviously grown up since then, but at the same time I have reservations. The Bavarian culture is more my thing than the cosmopolitan lifestyle I get from Berlin. Maybe I should give it another chance because my reservations may be unwarranted.

Anything you eould recommend if I go there? Whether itís food, culture, tourist trap crap, or even just a great place to spend an afternoon.

Being 100% honest, the last two times I was in Berlin I wasn’t feeling it. Being just as honest, that was 15 and 16 years ago. I’ve obviously grown up since then, but at the same time I have reservations. The Bavarian culture is more my thing than the cosmopolitan lifestyle I get from Berlin. Maybe I should give it another chance because my reservations may be unwarranted.

Anything you eould recommend if I go there? Whether it’s food, culture, tourist trap crap, or even just a great place to spend an afternoon.
    I'd go to Belgium and drown myself in Lambic, but that's just me. After a week of German beer, I'd be jonesing for something with flavor.

RIP - Kirby

Being 100% honest, the last two times I was in Berlin I wasnít feeling it. Being just as honest, that was 15 and 16 years ago. Iíve obviously grown up since then, but at the same time I have reservations. The Bavarian culture is more my thing than the cosmopolitan lifestyle I get from Berlin. Maybe I should give it another chance because my reservations may be unwarranted.

Anything you eould recommend if I go there? Whether itís food, culture, tourist trap crap, or even just a great place to spend an afternoon.
    IF You think Germany is Bavaria you wonít like Berlin. I will admit, Berlin was the first city I lived in outside of the us so Iím always biased. I Loved how it was a city that had experienced so much- nazis, then the Russians, then the wall fell and things got interesting. I love the history. I had a professor that took us to places like the Sandbox where hitler died.

If you like to see Germany as Bavaria I can see how Berlin isnít your thing

He fixes the cable?

Bratislava! Do it!

Quote Originally Posted by state of hockey View Post
    Bratislava! Do it!
    I hear Minsk is nice this time of year.

RIP - Kirby

He fixes the cable?

I have now looked into Bratislava. Actually looks pretty nice. I do like how the Wikipedia page points out that the Eurotrip scenes were filmed in suburbs of Prague.

I have now looked into Bratislava. Actually looks pretty nice. I do like how the Wikipedia page points out that the Eurotrip scenes were filmed in suburbs of Prague.
    They looked like they could have been filmed in Detroit.

RIP - Kirby

I can't think of Bratislava without thinking of Eurotrip Love that movie.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    IF You think Germany is Bavaria you wonít like Berlin. I will admit, Berlin was the first city I lived in outside of the us so Iím always biased. I Loved how it was a city that had experienced so much- nazis, then the Russians, then the wall fell and things got interesting. I love the history. I had a professor that took us to places like the Sandbox where hitler died.

If you like to see Germany as Bavaria I can see how Berlin isnít your thing
    Itís not that I want to see Germany as Bavaria. Germany is Germany.

I just really enjoy Bavaria. I do need to get back to Berlin to see it as an adult. I was only 18 the last time I was there. I feel like as an adult I would appreciate that history more.

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

Is renting a car for the weekend an option? Drive along the Rhine for a couple days or go a little further west and follow the Mosel to where it meets the Rhine in Koblenz. Can't go wrong with either one.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

Lots of Germany talk. Germany is really not very high on my list of places to visit, but my wife is interested in traveling there, so I might be out-voted. Plus, the Sweden and Norway excursion was completely my doing, so something for her is probably warranted. We both want to do England/Scotland/Ireland, so that will probably be next for us for Europe trips.

RIP - Kirby

DX, not sure how much you want to spend, but I found a Lufthansa itinerary that seems like it would work for 330 euros. Might be more than you want to spend though.

Leave Munich 6:15pm Friday, connect in Copenhagen, get into Bergen at 10:20pm
    Leave Bergen 5:15pm Sunday, connect in Oslo, get into Frankfurt at 8:50pm

The other option, which also isn't cheap, is to fly into Oslo, and then do the "Norway in a Nutshell" tour. Get on a train from Oslo, train takes you across the country to the fjords, through the mountains. In (I believe) Voss, you get on a motor coach, which winds through mountain roads to Gudvagen, where you board a boat and do a short fjord cruise, ending in Flam. Then you take the Flam railway back up the mountain, and get back on the main rail line at Myrdal station. My parents did this same trip, but from Bergen, the day that we just rented a van and drove around to see the fjords ourselves.

RIP - Kirby

Made in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Greyeagle View Post
    Is renting a car for the weekend an option? Drive along the Rhine for a couple days or go a little further west and follow the Mosel to where it meets the Rhine in Koblenz. Can't go wrong with either one.
    Enjoy $10/gallon gasoline.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Enjoy $10/gallon gasoline.
    That doesnít sound like 85fils/litre

Thread Information