X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Wow. I just booked a 12 day 2 country European trip.
    I feel like you might be getting the more enjoyable trip.

Did you end up booking Portugal? I’ve only been there once (wouldn’t have been much help for your question last week) and it was beautiful. We stayed in Lisbon but I would love to go back eventually.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      I feel like you might be getting the more enjoyable trip.

Did you end up booking Portugal? I’ve only been there once (wouldn’t have been much help for your question last week) and it was beautiful. We stayed in Lisbon but I would love to go back eventually.
      Yup. Will spend a few days in Lisbon with a friend and then want to head to the algarve for 3 days

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        For the excursion to Thailand we so far have a planned river raft trip, snorkeling, a train ride to the mountains and some charity work with a local orphanage. Can't wait!
        Went there a few months ago, adventured to the stunning Sanctuary of Truth - wooden cathedral type structure covered with statuettes. Indiana Jones here scored a trophy from its facade (ok...bought).
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Going thru CDG is a lot like Heath Row. Big but otherwise ok. I avoid London because the taxes are so high. Madrid and Lisbon or Dublin are much better and even Amsterdam is ok.. CDG has changed a lot in the last 5 years or so. All for the better. Clearing customs is the hardest part. Now if I was avoiding an airport, Atlanta would be the top of my list.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I think I'm avoiding this airline

http://theliberal.ie/transavia-fligh...omit-on-board/
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
              Airline cleaned the plane. No reason to hold them accountable
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I think I just ruined my Uber rating lol. The driver stopped at arrivals at de Gaulle and I was at departures.

He spoke Chinese and French. We had a phone call and when it became obvious it wasn’t going to be solved over the phone, he walked to us. Then we couldn’t get out of the pickups are because de Gaulle charges you to pick someone up. So I had to hand over my credit card to pay for that.

Oh well.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Wow. Poland is really trying to be modern and awesome.

They’re kinda succeeding too.
                  Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Wow. Poland is really trying to be modern and awesome.

They’re kinda succeeding too.
                    and???

how?

(geez)

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      and???

how?

(geez)
                      The longer I'm here, the more it feels staged. Obviously that's not the case, but everything seems different. Young and attractive people everywhere, dressed nicer than most of the other cities and countries we've visited. I guess I just didn't understand the city I was staying in. I'm also very used to staying in smaller cities because that's where manufacturing plants often get placed. So there were probably some preconceptions that come with that as well. The drive in was interesting because it was almost all single lane roads to get from the airport. Five or ten minutes on the highway, 20 minutes on the small roads that wound through the outskirts of the city. Again, that didn't help.

Aside from that, there was some interesting stories told last night over a very nice dinner. One of my colleagues said when the Germans were forced out of the town, it was often that a truck showed up and people were told, "You have two hours to pack anything you can and you're leaving." When his grandparents were given a house, the previous inhabitants' dinner was still on the table.

I also got a sense there is still quite a bit of pain associated with WWII, even among the younger generations. As we walked through the city center, we were told of how the locals tried to turn the town from a Polish town to a German town as Hitler's army advanced. They would cover over plates that were on the church walls eulogizing the dead dignitaries that lied below. They're still trying to restore the heritage that was scrubbed from the city 75+ years ago. There is also still some resentment that Lufthansa calls Wroclaw "Breslau" in their flight plans and radio calls.

Our hosts also explained the city is going through a transition. Where in many smaller European towns, the city center is actually the center of activity for all generations. Everyone walks down to the city square and has dinner or attend other activities. But they are slowly becoming decentralized. Where the popular locales are trending more and more outside of the city center.

It's actually a very fascinating city that's a real treat to walk through at night. There are houses and apartments from the 17th century that sandwich apartments built in the 1950s. The older, ornate buildings are actually pretty shocking to see next to their sterile, poured concrete neighbors.
                      Last edited by dxmnkd316; 06-07-2018, 03:37 AM.
                      Code:

Comment

Argentina is still ****ed about the Falklands, Atlanta is still ****ed about Sherman's march, Israel and Palestine are still ****ed about events from 1500 years ago. I guess I'm not surprised that Pols are still ****ed about WW2.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

If you think they still have issues with Germany, try asking them how they feel about Russia.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            If you think they still have issues with Germany, try asking them how they feel about Russia.
                            Yah

Argentina LOST
                            Atlanta LOST

So did the Germans. Friggn’ poles shoulda been enjoying Marshall plan cheese and spam.... but nooooooooooooooooooooo

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              One of my colleagues said when the Germans were forced out of the town, it was often that a truck showed up and people were told, "You have two hours to pack anything you can and you're leaving." When his grandparents were given a house, the previous inhabitants' dinner was still on the table.
                              The Czechs did that to the Germans after WW2, too. And they're so frickin adorable they still feel bad about it and actually voted to pay those Germans reparations under Havel.

Unfortunately their government is now controlled by the same rightwing wheezebags that blight almost every Central and Eastern European county.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I wish I had made a point of studying the history of the areas that were so critical to the start of WWI, from the Bulgaria and the Balkans up to to Germany and Austria-Hungary. Wonderfully complex politically and culturally and some beautiful country. Want to travel that part of the world some day. Only plans now are Metigoshe, NoDak--a close second.

Comment

Working...
                                X