Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Airline cleaned the plane. No reason to hold them accountable

Lucia Apologist

Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

I think I just ruined my Uber rating lol. The driver stopped at arrivals at de Gaulle and I was at departures.

He spoke Chinese and French. We had a phone call and when it became obvious it wasnít going to be solved over the phone, he walked to us. Then we couldnít get out of the pickups are because de Gaulle charges you to pick someone up. So I had to hand over my credit card to pay for that.

Oh well.

Lucia Apologist

Wow. Poland is really trying to be modern and awesome.

Theyíre kinda succeeding too.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Wow. Poland is really trying to be modern and awesome.

Theyíre kinda succeeding too.
    and???

how?

(geez)
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    and???

how?

(geez)
    The longer I'm here, the more it feels staged. Obviously that's not the case, but everything seems different. Young and attractive people everywhere, dressed nicer than most of the other cities and countries we've visited. I guess I just didn't understand the city I was staying in. I'm also very used to staying in smaller cities because that's where manufacturing plants often get placed. So there were probably some preconceptions that come with that as well. The drive in was interesting because it was almost all single lane roads to get from the airport. Five or ten minutes on the highway, 20 minutes on the small roads that wound through the outskirts of the city. Again, that didn't help.

Aside from that, there was some interesting stories told last night over a very nice dinner. One of my colleagues said when the Germans were forced out of the town, it was often that a truck showed up and people were told, "You have two hours to pack anything you can and you're leaving." When his grandparents were given a house, the previous inhabitants' dinner was still on the table.

I also got a sense there is still quite a bit of pain associated with WWII, even among the younger generations. As we walked through the city center, we were told of how the locals tried to turn the town from a Polish town to a German town as Hitler's army advanced. They would cover over plates that were on the church walls eulogizing the dead dignitaries that lied below. They're still trying to restore the heritage that was scrubbed from the city 75+ years ago. There is also still some resentment that Lufthansa calls Wroclaw "Breslau" in their flight plans and radio calls.

Our hosts also explained the city is going through a transition. Where in many smaller European towns, the city center is actually the center of activity for all generations. Everyone walks down to the city square and has dinner or attend other activities. But they are slowly becoming decentralized. Where the popular locales are trending more and more outside of the city center.

It's actually a very fascinating city that's a real treat to walk through at night. There are houses and apartments from the 17th century that sandwich apartments built in the 1950s. The older, ornate buildings are actually pretty shocking to see next to their sterile, poured concrete neighbors.
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 06-07-2018 at 03:37 AM.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

Argentina is still ****ed about the Falklands, Atlanta is still ****ed about Sherman's march, Israel and Palestine are still ****ed about events from 1500 years ago. I guess I'm not surprised that Pols are still ****ed about WW2.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

If you think they still have issues with Germany, try asking them how they feel about Russia.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    If you think they still have issues with Germany, try asking them how they feel about Russia.
    Yah

Argentina LOST
    Atlanta LOST

So did the Germans. Friggní poles shoulda been enjoying Marshall plan cheese and spam.... but nooooooooooooooooooooo

One of my colleagues said when the Germans were forced out of the town, it was often that a truck showed up and people were told, "You have two hours to pack anything you can and you're leaving." When his grandparents were given a house, the previous inhabitants' dinner was still on the table.
    The Czechs did that to the Germans after WW2, too. And they're so frickin adorable they still feel bad about it and actually voted to pay those Germans reparations under Havel.

Unfortunately their government is now controlled by the same rightwing wheezebags that blight almost every Central and Eastern European county.
    It's a book of our true stories
    True stories that can't be denied
    It's more than true it actually happened
    We're coming rougher every time

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

I wish I had made a point of studying the history of the areas that were so critical to the start of WWI, from the Bulgaria and the Balkans up to to Germany and Austria-Hungary. Wonderfully complex politically and culturally and some beautiful country. Want to travel that part of the world some day. Only plans now are Metigoshe, NoDak--a close second.

Very Un-Dude

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I wish I had made a point of studying the history of the areas that were so critical to the start of WWI, from the Bulgaria and the Balkans up to to Germany and Austria-Hungary. Wonderfully complex politically and culturally and some beautiful country. Want to travel that part of the world some day. Only plans now are Metigoshe, NoDak--a close second.
    This is a good book.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/0195386647/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

My father-in-law was a HS English teach (Benilde - St. Margaret's for those of you in MSP) and Lonnie Johnson was probably his favorite student. They became extremely close friends and stayed in close contact right up until my FIL passed. I've read parts of it and it's a good history of the region.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
    Twenty red lights in his honor
    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

Thx.

Lucia Apologist

My flight to Amsterdam tonight got cancelled and KLM rebooked my entire trip to Scotland. Instead of getting in at 850 AM Iím getting in at 1:30 PM.

When I got the notification it was cancelled, I also got a notification that thy auto-rebooked me. Fine. I saw they had space on a flight that would get me there at 10 AM. I get up to the counter and those mother ****ers tell me that I canít rebook because I rebooked my flight. I asked them if I could pay the difference for another flight and they said no.

Iím going to miss my distillery tour and now I basically have enough time to check into my hotel and leave the following morning

Iím already pretty upset and this threw me into rage mode. I was polite but Iím pretty sure I almost had a stroke during the interaction. Iím out so much money because of this.

Lucia Apologist

Air France and KLM can eat a bag of dicks.

Iíve never had as bad of an experience dealing with an airline like this. Beyond the f-ckery they pulled yesterday, today at the check in counter, they decided to have five agents get up and leave all at the same time when I got to the front leaving just the sky priority line open. It took 45 minutes to check in in a five-minute line. Plus their stupid automatic checkin lines are useless. You still need to talk to someone at the counter. Whatís the point
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 06-08-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Air France and KLM can eat a bag of dicks.

I’ve never had as bad of an experience dealing with an airline like this. Beyond the f-ckery they pulled yesterday, today at the check in counter, they decided to have five agents get up and leave all at the same time when I got to the front leaving just the sky priority line open. It took 45 minutes to check in in a five-minute line. Plus their stupid automatic checkin lines are useless. You still need to talk to someone at the counter. What’s the point
    Isn't AF threatening a strike right now?
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Lucia Apologist

Maybe. I wasnít aware.

But then again, our workís travel service had been sending out all sorts of notices with various strikes. Trains, metros, busses. Wouldnít surprise me if the airline workers were striking. Every city but Wrocław, Munich, and Ach have had strikes for transportation workers.
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 06-09-2018 at 12:10 AM.

Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Isn't AF threatening a strike right now?
    Maybe. I know French ATC is, which could play a role.

Matt Frattin for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Lucia Apologist

Now weíre boarded and just got delayed 25 minutes because of fog.

Thank god I signed up for Spotify premium before this trip and downloaded about 2 gigs of music. Because Iím about ready to cut someone.

Thank god I signed up for Spotify premium before this trip and downloaded about 2 gigs of music. Because Iím about ready to cut someone.
    You wouldn't like him when he's angry...
    It's a book of our true stories
    True stories that can't be denied
    It's more than true it actually happened
    We're coming rougher every time

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Sorry dude. Iíve been through there a million times with virtually zero issues

Thread Information