Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
Results 421 to 440 of 546

Thread: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

  1. #421
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    115,563

    Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Eh, I'm not too worried about it
    I would be.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  2. #422
    He fixes the cable?
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    22,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I would be.
    Really? You'd be worried about bringing your flip phone?


  3. #423
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    115,563

    Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

    Quote Originally Posted by state of hockey View Post
    Really? You'd be worried about bringing your flip phone?

    I'd be worried about HIS phone. Arsehole.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  4. #424
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    32,750

    Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I would be.
    I wouldn't be taking it off of airplane mode while there, and I'd keep bluetooth and wifi off. Probably only use wifi at the hotel.
    Last edited by bigblue_dl; 08-09-2018 at 09:50 AM.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  5. #425
    Short/Round bostonewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    11,751

    Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

    Looks like we're heading to Chicago for my birthday (heh)...the actual city. We'll be there for about 3-4 nights in December and are trying to decide what to do. We're planning to eat at a Stephanie Izard place (or two), but I'm not sure what else to do. I'm not wild about heights, so the Sears Tower (or whatever it's called) doesn't hold much interest for me. I don't like to shop and I've done Navy Pier.
    Food recs?
    Beer/Brewery recs?
    Things to do?

    Blackhawks are there Sunday afternoon, which is a possibility.

  6. #426
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,098

    Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    Looks like we're heading to Chicago for my birthday (heh)...the actual city. We'll be there for about 3-4 nights in December and are trying to decide what to do. We're planning to eat at a Stephanie Izard place (or two), but I'm not sure what else to do. I'm not wild about heights, so the Sears Tower (or whatever it's called) doesn't hold much interest for me. I don't like to shop and I've done Navy Pier.
    Food recs?
    Beer/Brewery recs?
    Things to do?

    Blackhawks are there Sunday afternoon, which is a possibility.
    I'm not a Chicago local, but the Art Institute is worth visiting. The Museum of Natural History is excellent, and it is right next door to the Shedd Aquarium close to downtown. The Museum of Science and Industry, on the site of the 1893 World Fair, is also easy to get to. If you like architecture, the city has a lot of Frank Loyd Wright homes and has a tour, I believe.

    If you are close to Wrigley (near north side) for brunch, River Valley Farmer's Table is a treat. Not Stephanie Izard, but worth it if you are close.

    A lot of people take the short drive north for a chance to see real Wisconsin people.

    Who are the Hawks playing?

  7. #427
    Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...
    Posts
    5,474

    Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    Looks like we're heading to Chicago for my birthday (heh)...the actual city. We'll be there for about 3-4 nights in December and are trying to decide what to do. We're planning to eat at a Stephanie Izard place (or two), but I'm not sure what else to do. I'm not wild about heights, so the Sears Tower (or whatever it's called) doesn't hold much interest for me. I don't like to shop and I've done Navy Pier.
    Food recs?
    Beer/Brewery recs?
    Things to do?

    Blackhawks are there Sunday afternoon, which is a possibility.
    As mentioned, there are several cool museum options right in the downtown area. It just depends on what you want to see (Art, Natural History, Aquarium, etc.). For shows, Chicago is home to Second City. Their alumni list speaks for itself and is a really great chance to see some great comedians before the make it big.

    Food-wise, I feel that Chicago is a very underrated culinary city. Everyone knows about the Pizza and Hot Dogs, but there is so much more out there. Again, it depends on what you're looking for. Chicago's food scene is definitely "Blue Collar" based. Most of better options are going to be on the near North side, a short El ride or Uber from Downtown. I like Kuma's Corner for Chicago's best burger option.

    Beer wise, I am a big fan of Revolution Brewing. Their tap house is another option on the North Side.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

    Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

    Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

    Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

  8. #428
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,523

    Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

    Smoque is excellent BBQ.

  9. #429
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    115,563

    Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

    Revolution Brewing is awesome. Their barleywine? *drool* (Someone brought a keg of it to last year's Surly Darkness Day tailgate).
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  10. #430
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    32,750

    Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    Looks like we're heading to Chicago for my birthday (heh)...the actual city. We'll be there for about 3-4 nights in December and are trying to decide what to do. We're planning to eat at a Stephanie Izard place (or two), but I'm not sure what else to do. I'm not wild about heights, so the Sears Tower (or whatever it's called) doesn't hold much interest for me. I don't like to shop and I've done Navy Pier.
    Food recs?
    Beer/Brewery recs?
    Things to do?

    Blackhawks are there Sunday afternoon, which is a possibility.
    Field Museum is awesome. I definitely recommend a visit there.
    Last edited by bigblue_dl; 08-10-2018 at 10:59 AM.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  11. #431
    Short/Round bostonewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    11,751

    Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I'm not a Chicago local, but the Art Institute is worth visiting. The Museum of Natural History is excellent, and it is right next door to the Shedd Aquarium close to downtown. The Museum of Science and Industry, on the site of the 1893 World Fair, is also easy to get to. If you like architecture, the city has a lot of Frank Loyd Wright homes and has a tour, I believe.
    If you are close to Wrigley (near north side) for brunch, River Valley Farmer's Table is a treat. Not Stephanie Izard, but worth it if you are close.
    A lot of people take the short drive north for a chance to see real Wisconsin people.
    Who are the Hawks playing?
    I've been to Wisconsin a few times, I don't need more exposure to Wisconsin people. And we won't have a car.
    They're playing Calgary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Revolution Brewing is awesome. Their barleywine? *drool* (Someone brought a keg of it to last year's Surly Darkness Day tailgate).
    Ooooh - I will add this to the itinerary
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Field Museum is awesome. I definitely recommend a visit there.
    They have a new exhibit with a T-Rex, so I will definitely be interested. Will add it to the list.

  12. #432
    TDS Index Case FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    29,445

    Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

    Frontera Grill for a celeb chef flagship that won't do an obtuse amount of damage to your wallet, especially if you go for lunch.

    Bohemian House for upscaled Central European classics. Cafecito for a Cuban lunch.

    I'd tell you to go to Joe Boston's for an Italian beef sandwich, but sadly, it's gone.

    Chicago is a tremendous food city. I'll be there in two weeks - can't wait.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 08-10-2018 at 09:27 PM.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  13. #433
    Short/Round bostonewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    11,751

    Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Frontera Grill for a celeb chef flagship that won't do an obtuse amount of damage to your wallet, especially if you go for lunch.
    Bohemian House for upscaled Central European classics. Cafecito for a Cuban lunch.
    I'd tell you to go to Joe Boston's for an Italian beef sandwich, but sadly, it's gone.
    Chicago is a tremendous food city. I'll be there in two weeks - can't wait.
    Rick Bayless, right? I've seen him on tv, but is his Mexican that elevated that it's a must do?

    I keep hearing that about Chicago, I'm wicked excited about going. (I went in high school as part of a high school/college immersion program - I was a sophomore and we did 8 weeks of college classes at UW-Madison and toured college campuses on the weekend. The program turned a bunch of teenagers loose in the city without supervision for the weekend... ).

  14. #434
    TDS Index Case FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    29,445

    Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    Rick Bayless, right? I've seen him on tv, but is his Mexican that elevated that it's a must do?
    They do make excellent ceviche, and I enjoyed the pork shoulder mole special they were doing the night I managed to sneak in without a res. I wouldn't call it a "must-do" though. Just a thought.

    There was an outstanding Japanese robatayaki joint on the North side, but I can't find it now - must be gone as well. I ate every part of chicken but the cluck at that place.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  15. #435
    Short/Round bostonewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    11,751

    Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    They do make excellent ceviche, and I enjoyed the pork shoulder mole special they were doing the night I managed to sneak in without a res. I wouldn't call it a "must-do" though. Just a thought.

    There was an outstanding Japanese robatayaki joint on the North side, but I can't find it now - must be gone as well. I ate every part of chicken but the cluck at that place.
    I'll add it to the list -- Good to know on the reservation. I hadn't thought of that for his place.

    I would love to eat at a place like that, but I don't think the hubs is that adventurous.

    We had originally talked about looking at Alinea for reservations (or other Grant Achatz places), but I'm just not feeling it. We went to Travail when we were in MN which was amazing, but I don't know if I want that kind of meal every time we travel. Plus, I feel like the guys at Travail were interested in feeding you actual food, Alinea looks like some of the stuff is just for tasting or show, which I'm not into.

  16. #436
    TDS Index Case FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    29,445

    Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    I'll add it to the list -- Good to know on the reservation. I hadn't thought of that for his place.

    We had originally talked about looking at Alinea for reservations (or other Grant Achatz places), but I'm just not feeling it. We went to Travail when we were in MN which was amazing, but I don't know if I want that kind of meal every time we travel. Plus, I feel like the guys at Travail were interested in feeding you actual food, Alinea looks like some of the stuff is just for tasting or show, which I'm not into.
    If you go for dinner at Frontera, a res is really a must. By dumb luck, I happened to sneak into the last seat at the counter next to the pass on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening, and it was jammed. Did enjoy a partial (though not direct) kitchen view. Not sure a res would be needed (or even accepted) for lunch, especially on a weekend.

    Alinea is on my list, but it's not high up, and I have to save money for Boston and San Francisco in October. Plus I totally agree with you - every time I see what Achatz does in the kitchen at Alinea, I can't help but think 70% of his food is flashy presentation stuff. The foams, the flaming leaf bouquets, the liquid nitrogen nonsense, etc. He's our Ferran AdriÓ, and I struggle with the so-called "molecular gastronomy" school of cooking.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 08-10-2018 at 11:02 PM.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  17. #437
    Short/Round bostonewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    11,751

    Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    If you go for dinner at Frontera, a res is really a must. By dumb luck, I happened to sneak into the last seat at the counter next to the pass on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening, and it was jammed. Did enjoy a partial (though not direct) kitchen view. Not sure a res would be needed (or even accepted) for lunch, especially on a weekend.

    Alinea is on my list, but it's not high up, and I have to save money for Boston and San Francisco in October. Plus I totally agree with you - every time I see what Achatz does in the kitchen at Alinea, I can't help but think 70% of his food is flashy presentation stuff. The foams, the flaming leaf bouquets, the liquid nitrogen nonsense, etc. He's our Ferran AdriÓ, and I struggle with the so-called "molecular gastronomy" school of cooking.
    I don't have a problem with it if it serves a purpose (ice cream frozen with liquid nitrogen, etc.) or even for some presentation, but not as the core idea of a dish.

  18. #438
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    30,294

    Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    I've been to Wisconsin a few times, I don't need more exposure to Wisconsin people.
    I always knew you were good people.

  19. #439
    TDS Index Case FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    29,445

    Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    I don't have a problem with it if it serves a purpose (ice cream frozen with liquid nitrogen, etc.) or even for some presentation, but not as the core idea of a dish.
    I get what you're saying.

    So help me out - here's where I've been in Boston:

    Eastie: Mario's (A classic, and the veal limon was solid ), New Saigon (pretty decent pho )
    Downtown: Sail Loft (), State Street Provisions (), some place at the corner of Broad and Milk (appears to be gone, but buttery lobstah roll was wicked.).
    Shawmut:: Oishii (very good sushi )
    North End: Fiore (FFS, the swordfish steak was the size of a porterhouse ), Mike's Pastry (I got one cannoli for dessert and one for breakfast - both were very good, but my frame of reference is admittedly limited on that front, despite the cannoli shop a half-mile away that I've never visited)
    Chelsea: Buccieri's Pizza ()

    Of course I've been to Legal Sea Foods, which is perfectly cromulent.

    Those are basically my Boston experiences so far.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 08-11-2018 at 02:12 AM.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  20. #440
    Short/Round bostonewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    11,751

    Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I'm not a Chicago local, but the Art Institute is worth visiting. The Museum of Natural History is excellent, and it is right next door to the Shedd Aquarium close to downtown. The Museum of Science and Industry, on the site of the 1893 World Fair, is also easy to get to. If you like architecture, the city has a lot of Frank Loyd Wright homes and has a tour, I believe.

    If you are close to Wrigley (near north side) for brunch, River Valley Farmer's Table is a treat. Not Stephanie Izard, but worth it if you are close.

    A lot of people take the short drive north for a chance to see real Wisconsin people.

    Who are the Hawks playing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Revolution Brewing is awesome. Their barleywine? *drool* (Someone brought a keg of it to last year's Surly Darkness Day tailgate).
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Field Museum is awesome. I definitely recommend a visit there.
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I get what you're saying.

    So help me out - here's where I've been in Boston:

    Eastie: Mario's (A classic, and the veal limon was solid ), New Saigon (pretty decent pho )
    Downtown: Sail Loft (), State Street Provisions (), some place at the corner of Broad and Milk (appears to be gone, but buttery lobstah roll was wicked.).
    Shawmut:: Oishii (very good sushi )
    North End: Fiore (FFS, the swordfish steak was the size of a porterhouse ), Mike's Pastry (I got one cannoli for dessert and one for breakfast - both were very good, but my frame of reference is admittedly limited on that front, despite the cannoli shop a half-mile away that I've never visited)
    Chelsea: Buccieri's Pizza ()

    Of course I've been to Legal Sea Foods, which is perfectly cromulent.

    Those are basically my Boston experiences so far.
    Depends on what you want to eat.
    North End (Italian) -- I like Modern and Bova's better than Mike's (though Bova's cream filled pastries have A LOT of sugar in their frostings). Limoncello is a good place to go for food. I also like L'Osteria.
    Spanish food - I hate a great dinner at Barcelona. Food was awesome and authentic (lots of small plates). We went with a big group and tried most of the menu.
    Favorite place to eat - Sweet Cheeks Q near Fenway. Great BBQ (have had all the menu - apps, sides, and meats).
    Thai - I love Brown Sugar Cafe. Nicer/higher-end Thai.
    Indian -- India Quality (Kenmore)/Punjab Palace (Allston). They're owned by the same family and the food is awesome (I can't speak to authenticity -- I haven't been to India).
    Brunch - Back Bay Social Club (Copley Square); Friendly Toast (Cambridge) if you can get in. Zaftigs (Brookline).
    Pizza - Otto (I think there's a few).

    My goal restaurant: O-ya (expensive, so we haven't gone); Tiger Mama (same chef as Sweet Cheeks, but only open for dinner).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •