X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
    I'll add it to the list -- Good to know on the reservation. I hadn't thought of that for his place.

We had originally talked about looking at Alinea for reservations (or other Grant Achatz places), but I'm just not feeling it. We went to Travail when we were in MN which was amazing, but I don't know if I want that kind of meal every time we travel. Plus, I feel like the guys at Travail were interested in feeding you actual food, Alinea looks like some of the stuff is just for tasting or show, which I'm not into.
    If you go for dinner at Frontera, a res is really a must. By dumb luck, I happened to sneak into the last seat at the counter next to the pass on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening, and it was jammed. Did enjoy a partial (though not direct) kitchen view. Not sure a res would be needed (or even accepted) for lunch, especially on a weekend.

Alinea is on my list, but it's not high up, and I have to save money for Boston and San Francisco in October. Plus I totally agree with you - every time I see what Achatz does in the kitchen at Alinea, I can't help but think 70% of his food is flashy presentation stuff. The foams, the flaming leaf bouquets, the liquid nitrogen nonsense, etc. He's our Ferran Adrià, and I struggle with the so-called "molecular gastronomy" school of cooking.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 08-10-2018, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      If you go for dinner at Frontera, a res is really a must. By dumb luck, I happened to sneak into the last seat at the counter next to the pass on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening, and it was jammed. Did enjoy a partial (though not direct) kitchen view. Not sure a res would be needed (or even accepted) for lunch, especially on a weekend.

Alinea is on my list, but it's not high up, and I have to save money for Boston and San Francisco in October. Plus I totally agree with you - every time I see what Achatz does in the kitchen at Alinea, I can't help but think 70% of his food is flashy presentation stuff. The foams, the flaming leaf bouquets, the liquid nitrogen nonsense, etc. He's our Ferran Adrià, and I struggle with the so-called "molecular gastronomy" school of cooking.
      I don't have a problem with it if it serves a purpose (ice cream frozen with liquid nitrogen, etc.) or even for some presentation, but not as the core idea of a dish.

Comment

I've been to Wisconsin a few times, I don't need more exposure to Wisconsin people.
        I always knew you were good people.

Comment

I don't have a problem with it if it serves a purpose (ice cream frozen with liquid nitrogen, etc.) or even for some presentation, but not as the core idea of a dish.
          I get what you're saying.

So help me out - here's where I've been in Boston:

Eastie: Mario's (A classic, and the veal limon was solid ), New Saigon (pretty decent pho )
          Downtown: Sail Loft (), State Street Provisions (), some place at the corner of Broad and Milk (appears to be gone, but buttery lobstah roll was wicked.).
          Shawmut:: Oishii (very good sushi )
          North End: Fiore (FFS, the swordfish steak was the size of a porterhouse ), Mike's Pastry (I got one cannoli for dessert and one for breakfast - both were very good, but my frame of reference is admittedly limited on that front, despite the cannoli shop a half-mile away that I've never visited)
          Chelsea: Buccieri's Pizza ()

Of course I've been to Legal Sea Foods, which is perfectly cromulent.

Those are basically my Boston experiences so far.
          Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 08-11-2018, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
            I'm not a Chicago local, but the Art Institute is worth visiting. The Museum of Natural History is excellent, and it is right next door to the Shedd Aquarium close to downtown. The Museum of Science and Industry, on the site of the 1893 World Fair, is also easy to get to. If you like architecture, the city has a lot of Frank Loyd Wright homes and has a tour, I believe.

If you are close to Wrigley (near north side) for brunch, River Valley Farmer's Table is a treat. Not Stephanie Izard, but worth it if you are close.

A lot of people take the short drive north for a chance to see real Wisconsin people.

Who are the Hawks playing?
            Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            Revolution Brewing is awesome. Their barleywine? *drool* (Someone brought a keg of it to last year's Surly Darkness Day tailgate).
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            Field Museum is awesome. I definitely recommend a visit there.
            I get what you're saying.

So help me out - here's where I've been in Boston:

Eastie: Mario's (A classic, and the veal limon was solid ), New Saigon (pretty decent pho )
            Downtown: Sail Loft (), State Street Provisions (), some place at the corner of Broad and Milk (appears to be gone, but buttery lobstah roll was wicked.).
            Shawmut:: Oishii (very good sushi )
            North End: Fiore (FFS, the swordfish steak was the size of a porterhouse ), Mike's Pastry (I got one cannoli for dessert and one for breakfast - both were very good, but my frame of reference is admittedly limited on that front, despite the cannoli shop a half-mile away that I've never visited)
            Chelsea: Buccieri's Pizza ()

Of course I've been to Legal Sea Foods, which is perfectly cromulent.

Those are basically my Boston experiences so far.
            Depends on what you want to eat.
            North End (Italian) -- I like Modern and Bova's better than Mike's (though Bova's cream filled pastries have A LOT of sugar in their frostings). Limoncello is a good place to go for food. I also like L'Osteria.
            Spanish food - I hate a great dinner at Barcelona. Food was awesome and authentic (lots of small plates). We went with a big group and tried most of the menu.
            Favorite place to eat - Sweet Cheeks Q near Fenway. Great BBQ (have had all the menu - apps, sides, and meats).
            Thai - I love Brown Sugar Cafe. Nicer/higher-end Thai.
            Indian -- India Quality (Kenmore)/Punjab Palace (Allston). They're owned by the same family and the food is awesome (I can't speak to authenticity -- I haven't been to India).
            Brunch - Back Bay Social Club (Copley Square); Friendly Toast (Cambridge) if you can get in. Zaftigs (Brookline).
            Pizza - Otto (I think there's a few).

My goal restaurant: O-ya (expensive, so we haven't gone); Tiger Mama (same chef as Sweet Cheeks, but only open for dinner).

Comment

Billy Goat Tavern - you might be too young to appreciate the place. Ditkas - one of the best steaks I've ever had.
              Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

So last night in Seattle was a quiet, normal, with no excitement?
                Last edited by Greyeagle; 08-11-2018, 03:49 PM.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                Twenty red lights in his honor
                Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Look at the video in the 2nd column for the skydeck. Would you or would you not??

http://windspeedtech.com
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Look at the video in the 2nd column for the skydeck. Would you or would you not??

http://windspeedtech.com
                    Yup!! and I bet Scarlet would if it would keep her away from the babies!

Comment

Flights home from Berlin booked, to the tune of 86,000 miles + $350 in fees and taxes (for biz class). I'm actually lucky to get a biz class miles redemption under 100k, even just one-way. Some of us used to call Delta miles "SkyPesos", but I think that's actually an insult to the peso now, so I'm going with "SkyRubles" going forward. 300,000+ miles for RT biz class to Europe from the East Coast? In March? Get dafuq outta here, DL. A round-trip booking would've made my itinerary a bit tougher anyway.

As for getting to Deutschland, I've poked around for a couple of months, but the best option I've found and keep coming back to is a so-called "Fifth Freedom" flight on Singapore Air from JFK to Frankfurt at a range of prices depending on class. Currently debating whether a 6.5-7 hour flight is worth the ~$675 difference between premium econ and biz. Singapore A380 biz class is legendary, and I can swing the extra cost, but I'd be lucky to get 2-3 hours of sleep on that short of a flight, even in the lie-flat seat. Not to mention that $675 savings would just end up getting added to the food/transit/museum entries/cover charge budget. Either way, I am already setup to go from DTW to JFK for 'only' 13,500 SkyRubles and $6 in taxes and fees, so that is a plus.

This is the tentative itinerary I've laid out:

Day 0: Red eye flight to FRA, arriving around 10a CET on Day 1
                      Day 1: Train to Stuttgart, overnight there
                      Day 2: Morning in Stuttgart, afternoon train to Munich
                      Day 3: Munich
                      Day 4: Munich
                      Day 5: Morning in Munich, afternoon train to Bamberg
                      Day 6: Bamberg
                      Day 7: Train to Berlin
                      Day 6: Berlin
                      Day 7: Berlin
                      Day 8: Berlin
                      Day 9: Partial morning in Berlin, but must be at TXL by 10am for 11:55 flight to AMS and connection to DTW.

And yes, I'm going in March. The weather may or may not be a bit dicey, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. Honestly, I think I'm more worried about the departure and arrival weather in the US. It sounded like March is a reasonably dry month in Munich, and is among Berlin's 3-4 driest months. I certainly have no problem with temps in the 30-60 degree (F) range.

Comment

If you can spare a dinner, get down to the end of the S-bahn to Hersching am Amersee and have the schnitzel at Gasthof zur Post. If it’s not busy ask for the kaiserschmarn. One of the best meals I’ve had in all my European travels over the last 20 years.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Jealous. I was supposed to be back in Berlin this month but had to cancel.

Comment

Flights home from Berlin booked, to the tune of 86,000 miles + $350 in fees and taxes (for biz class). I'm actually lucky to get a biz class miles redemption under 100k, even just one-way. Some of us used to call Delta miles "SkyPesos", but I think that's actually an insult to the peso now, so I'm going with "SkyRubles" going forward. 300,000+ miles for RT biz class to Europe from the East Coast? In March? Get dafuq outta here, DL. A round-trip booking would've made my itinerary a bit tougher anyway.

As for getting to Deutschland, I've poked around for a couple of months, but the best option I've found and keep coming back to is a so-called "Fifth Freedom" flight on Singapore Air from JFK to Frankfurt at a range of prices depending on class. Currently debating whether a 6.5-7 hour flight is worth the ~$675 difference between premium econ and biz. Singapore A380 biz class is legendary, and I can swing the extra cost, but I'd be lucky to get 2-3 hours of sleep on that short of a flight, even in the lie-flat seat. Not to mention that $675 savings would just end up getting added to the food/transit/museum entries/cover charge budget. Either way, I am already setup to go from DTW to JFK for 'only' 13,500 SkyRubles and $6 in taxes and fees, so that is a plus.

This is the tentative itinerary I've laid out:

Day 0: Red eye flight to FRA, arriving around 10a CET on Day 1
                            Day 1: Train to Stuttgart, overnight there
                            Day 2: Morning in Stuttgart, afternoon train to Munich
                            Day 3: Munich
                            Day 4: Munich
                            Day 5: Morning in Munich, afternoon train to Bamberg
                            Day 6: Bamberg
                            Day 7: Train to Berlin
                            Day 6: Berlin
                            Day 7: Berlin
                            Day 8: Berlin
                            Day 9: Partial morning in Berlin, but must be at TXL by 10am for 11:55 flight to AMS and connection to DTW.

And yes, I'm going in March. The weather may or may not be a bit dicey, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. Honestly, I think I'm more worried about the departure and arrival weather in the US. It sounded like March is a reasonably dry month in Munich, and is among Berlin's 3-4 driest months. I certainly have no problem with temps in the 30-60 degree (F) range.
                            You can easily do Bamberg in an afternoon/evening, but I would go to Würzburg instead. I don't get why Americans think Bamberg is so amazing. It's fine, but seems just all the other towns in Franconia, just with more tourists. Würzburg actually has things to do instead of just looking at old buildings, especially if you enjoy wine (or even if you don't). It will add an hour or so to your train to Berlin but won't add any additional cost if you're doing the 4 day German rail pass.

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                              You can easily do Bamberg in an afternoon/evening, but I would go to Würzburg instead. I don't get why Americans think Bamberg is so amazing. It's fine, but seems just all the other towns in Franconia, just with more tourists. Würzburg actually has things to do instead of just looking at old buildings, especially if you enjoy wine (or even if you don't). It will add an hour or so to your train to Berlin but won't add any additional cost if you're doing the 4 day German rail pass.
                              Thanks, I'll look into it. I haven't committed to any of the "Dörfer" in that region yet. Not a wine guy though, so that's out.

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                                FWIW, my parents were stationed in Bamberg in the 70s and my mother raves about it to this day. Also like a pope is buried there or something.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X