This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Also, speaking German phrases into Google Translate often yields hilarious results - and I know I'm speaking correctly.

Comment

fares are insane 14/06 here. it's like everyone is leaving the country!!
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        Also, speaking German phrases into Google Translate often yields hilarious results - and I know I'm speaking correctly.
        The google translate feature that lets you hold your phone up to signs, menus, etc. and translates them automatically is a modern marvel.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          What's your point there flag? Gas is expensive in Europe. it has been for 50 years at least. So what? Hotels are more here in the US as a rule. so what?

BTW to those driving who think you can just drive whatever speed you want. Don't do it. The ticket is expensive.
          I was thinking the same thing....it's just a cost of doing business when you travel abroad (or in CA ) and want to drive.
          My wife & I are planning a trip in late November/early December to Luxembourg, Belgium, and western France. Lot's of driving but with just two of us and small bags I am guessing whatever little car we get assigned will get great mileage.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
          Twenty red lights in his honor
          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

As much as the public transportation system is better than our here, I still would want to rent a car for many trips I'd like to take in Europe. We rented a car in Sweden and in Norway. In Sweden we got one because it would be impossible to go around to different places in farm country, tracking down ancestry stuff by public transportation. In Norway, it was a complete on a whim thing. My wife and I decided that we wanted to do our own thing that day, while the rest of my family did the Norway in a Nutshell tour for like $300 per person. We walked to the closest rental car place, got the last car (a van) that they had, and just set out on our own to do a drive around Hardangerfjord, then up to Flam, and back through Voss and Dale into Bergen. Having a car that day was awesome, and even though gas was expensive (in Norway it isn't as expensive as other European countries), we saved a bunch of money compared to doing the Norway in a Nutshell tour. The biggest reason why we liked the car option that day was because it allowed us to stop at as many places to take pictures of the scenery at the fjords as we wanted.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I rent cars regularly in Europe. If you can drive a stick it's a lot cheaper. One of the biggest problems is parking. Especially in center cities often it's prohibitive or prohibited. I try to do a mix of public transportation and rental. For instance in Zadar, Croatia last year, I found a parking place and left the car in it for three days so as not to lose it. I also regularly get tickets for parking unfortunately.. I did in Reims last year for instance. I also worry about the security of the car. So I try to keep it in a well lit area. In Portugal it was a lot easier by car, but most places in Western Europe you can get to without one. I try hard to do that. Well except in Ireland. but they're backwards in Ireland.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                I rent cars regularly in Europe. If you can drive a stick it's a lot cheaper. One of the biggest problems is parking. Especially in center cities often it's prohibitive or prohibited. I try to do a mix of public transportation and rental. For instance in Zadar, Croatia last year, I found a parking place and left the car in it for three days so as not to lose it. I also regularly get tickets for parking unfortunately.. I did in Reims last year for instance. I also worry about the security of the car. So I try to keep it in a well lit area. In Portugal it was a lot easier by car, but most places in Western Europe you can get to without one. I try hard to do that. Well except in Ireland. but they're backwards in Ireland.
                Does driving on the left a PITA?
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  At may age, if I were in left sided traffic that required reflexive driving, I'd be an accident guaranteed to happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                    At may age, if I were in left sided traffic that required reflexive driving, I'd be an accident guaranteed to happen.
                    I lived in England for a year and never once drove.

Comment

My first international work trip was to Scotland. Was told on Friday morning that I needed to be at a customer first thing Tuesday. Booked it quick, not really thinking much about driving, since I had so much else to do before the trip. Got to Glasgow, go out to my rental car, and didn't remember that it would be right hand drive until I opened the wrong door.

I didn't get in an accident, but that was a **** tense drive from the airport to the hotel on little sleep. Didn't take too long over the next few days to get used to it though.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        it's not too bad but you have to focus on it. In Ireland they have huge, and I do mean huge, signs on the road between Killarney and Cork, where the Blarney Castle is, and where the golf course " Old Head" is. The signs read, first huge sign," Drive" second huge sign, "On the ", third huge sign, " Left".
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Took me a about a day to get used to it in Ireland, then it wasn't too hard. First day was the worst since we flew overnight. The hardest part, right to the end, was parking lots as I just couldn't get my head wrapped around where to be.

I really liked having a manual, not only a little less expensive but also kept me really engaged while driving. Plus it's fun.

Most of what we want to do on this trip will be easier with a car. I'm sure we could make this trip work with trains & busses but the time & PIA factor makes getting car worth it.

EDIT - I still can't believe some of the roads in Ireland are two way traffic.......and the Irish drive like they never expect to meet oncoming traffic.
                          Last edited by Greyeagle; 05-08-2018, 07:24 AM.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                          Twenty red lights in his honor
                          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                            EDIT - I still can't believe some of the roads in Ireland are two way traffic.......and the Irish drive like they never expect to meet oncoming traffic.
                            Seems the Irish and the Scottish have this thing in common.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I figured Minnesotans would take to it well, the way we camp out in the left lane.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                                I figured Minnesotans would take to it well, the way we camp out in the left lane.

Oh how I loathe MN drivers.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X