X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    For real? Obviously I don't travel as much as many of you here, and they had their sh* on point every time I've been through there. I'll give you long lines, but they make them MOVE, unlike MSP, IMO. MSP really means 2 hours lead time. At DEN (DIA, thanks for the info) I probably could have shown up 30 min before my flight and have been fine.
    I walked into DEN (DIA) at 4:15AM Thursday morning (at rental car place at 4:00AM), showed up at my gate while my 6:00AM was mid-boarding. No extra stops along the way.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I have TSA Pre and Clear, and there's a reason one of Clear's first installations was at DEN. The Pre lines there have gotten really long on peak travel days (Mon, Thurs, Fri), to the point they're almost as bad as the regular lines.

DEN's problem is they have that one central checkpoint in the middle of the landside terminal, and they've outgrown it during peak times.

Having the 'A'-line rail straight to downtown and beyond for 9 bucks is convenient AF though. I love not dealing with taxis or Uber when I don't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        I have TSA Pre and Clear, and there's a reason one of Clear's first installations was at DEN. The Pre lines there have gotten really long on peak travel days (Mon, Thurs, Fri), to the point they're almost as bad as the regular lines.

DEN's problem is they have that one central checkpoint in the middle of the landside terminal, and they've outgrown it during peak times.

Having the 'A'-line rail straight to downtown and beyond for 9 bucks is convenient AF though. I love not dealing with taxis or Uber when I don't have to.
        I think I'm going to sign up for Clear. I get a discount with my Medallion status. Think its worth it.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          I think I'm going to sign up for Clear. I get a discount with my Medallion status. Think its worth it.
          Depends on what airports you frequent. Not really worth it at DTW unless you regularly fly out on Monday mornings, but a big help at ATL, LAX, DEN, AUS, etc. Not sure it would be a big help at MSP, as I've flown out of there several times on late Thursday afternoons, and rarely waited more than 5 minutes to step up to the agent.

Comment

Depends on what airports you frequent. Not really worth it at DTW unless you regularly fly out on Monday mornings, but a big help at ATL, LAX, DEN, AUS, etc. Not sure it would be a big help at MSP, as I've flown out of there several times on late Thursday afternoons, and rarely waited more than 5 minutes to step up to the agent.
            MSP can be very hit or miss. I've shown up when I expect busy (Monday morning) and its a 5 minute line, and Ive shown up when it should be dead, with a long as **** line. I'd get it just to have the reassurance that I can show up an hour before, instead of 2. Since now, I always show up 2 hours before and 1 time out of 10 I actually need to.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I'm spoiled, Tampa is a really good airport. Nashville is pretty good, BHM is easy in/out, but not much to kill any waits.

I've just got TSA pre and Southwest's fly-by. I usually show up 1h15m to 1.5 hours before just about anywhere I fly out of domestic, never had an issue.

Death to all NYC airports, none of them have a redeeming quality.

Comment

PHL is bad, but not as bad as everyone thinks - it's just old and has narrow concourses. BOS is okay if you're going out of Terminal A (Delta, SWA, a couple others), and presumably JetBlue's terminal is nice (I'll find out in October). The United & American terminals were horrible the last time I went through them.
                DCA was a lot better than I thought it would be. MIA is awful.
                BOS isn't bad in Terminal C. We flew out and back there this past weekend. There's a few places to eat, plenty of outlets. I've definitely been in worse.
                Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                All three DC airports are fine, though DCA is a b-tch to get to.
                LGA is where happiness goes to die.
                PDX is my favorite airport because it's so stupid.
                RDU used to be a wonderful airport but that was a huge renovation ago so they probably ruined it.
                ALB is still the easiest airport I've been to. Even with all the Forever War sh-t you can still drive right up, walk into ticketing and be at your gate in 5 minutes.
                DCA was nice for the weekend where we were in Arlington, it was super-convenient to the cemetery and that area. It was nice to use the Metro to get there in '09 for the FF -- not sure that would be a great thing to do now.

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                Once you’re inside JetBlue’s terminal at Logan Airport, it’s great. The area outside both arrivals and departures is a nightmare. Way too small.
                Ugh -- agreed. Congested, small, and a pain to navigate. We ran through 2 of the rings to chase down our bus back to NH on Tuesday. What a crap show.

MCO is one of my least favorite airports for security. You would think with Disney nearby that airport security could take a lesson in queue-ing and organization. It's a complete nightmare every time we go and most of the time, it really isn't the fault of the travelers. Like MIA, It also has a "welcome to FLA" toll right outside the airport.

Should any of you have a need to come to NH, MHT is lovely (it's tiny -- 14 gates), but has plenty of dining and a breeze through security.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                  I'm spoiled, Tampa is a really good airport. Nashville is pretty good, BHM is easy in/out, but not much to kill any waits.
                  I've just got TSA pre and Southwest's fly-by. I usually show up 1h15m to 1.5 hours before just about anywhere I fly out of domestic, never had an issue.
                  Death to all NYC airports, none of them have a redeeming quality.
                  Tampa was nice and BNA was really nice (and super convenient for an emergency last year).

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                    Tampa was nice and BNA was really nice (and super convenient for an emergency last year).
                    They're still doing upgrades at TPA, it's nicer and nicer every time I come back from work.

I agree with you about the security CF at Orlando seemingly every time. The few times I've flown out of there has been a circus.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
                      I wonder about places like Tel Aviv or Beirut. They aren't huge like ATL, but they must be extremely careful there.
                      I'll let you know about Tel Aviv in a week. I'm not sure which of the four airports servicing Milan I'll go to after that, but once I know I'll post it as well.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        Narita, Gatwick and Abu Dhabi suck. The new airport in Bangkok rules. That is all.
                        BKK is very smooth. Love the subway runs right under it, but when cab rides always seem (with sit traffic) to work out to $9 it hard to complain
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I've considered getting Global Entry and Clear (Clear probably wouldn't be worth it though since we don't have it here in IND). MSP moved the employee line again, and now I hear they're not letting non-uniformed employees through it. I actually had to wait in line on Sunday. It was horrible. I really hope we can become eligible for KCM.

IND's security lines are usually pretty good. The only problem I have with them is they aren't consistent with their procedures. Last Friday when I flew back to MSP they were only taking Pre-Check and KCM through the A side and everyone else had to go through the B side. The time before that, you could go through either. It's not the end of the world, except I don't know which is being used until I get to the A checkpoint (which is, in reality, a minor inconvenience).

TPA is a really nice airport, but sucks if you're a non-rev who can fly multiple carriers. You pretty much have to pick one and go with it.

I personally like MIA, but have admittedly never been outside security.
                          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                          Originally posted by Quizmire
                          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I’m going to probably get Precheck since my credit card now pays for it. Not sure I need global entry but they pay for that as well.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              I’m going to probably get Precheck since my credit card now pays for it. Not sure I need global entry but they pay for that as well.
                              You get Precheck with Global Entry, so as long as your card pays for it, I would go that route.
                              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                              Originally posted by Quizmire
                              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I hate clear with an absolute passion!
                                I'm not paying for something that i should get for free. Especially i'm not paying to get something that I do get for free most of the time and once in a while could use help in.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X