This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

btw there have been so many Europeans here especially while traveling (Pattaya, Bang Saphan, Hua Hin) and they're on the whole mostly friendly but very one dimensional. Tatts, bleached hair, bodies unfit for the bathing suits they elect to wear, cocky. But since no one has held Trump against me I give them a pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      Sitting at a seaside restaurant last night in Hua Han about 3 hours outside Bangkok. Patti's friend owns the resort (Blue Sky) while another a local fishery and he brought in pounds of fresh crab, prawns and mussels that they cooked for us special order. With the stars out, the wine flowing and a small storm brewing off to our west the setting was just sublime. After a bit the bar band started up and their first song a very Dread Zeppelinish version of the Muhamad Ali that for some reason made the moment and the night just rolled from there!!
      Sounds wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        btw there have been so many Europeans here especially while traveling (Pattaya, Bang Saphan, Hua Hin) and they're on the whole mostly friendly but very one dimensional. Tatts, bleached hair, bodies unfit for the bathing suits they elect to wear, cocky. But since no one has held Trump against me I give them a pass.
        So, they sound like people from New Jersey.....
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          So, they sound like people from New Jersey.....
          And how do you know they are one dimensional? Because that's not my experience.Quite the opposite.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            And how do you know they are one dimensional? Because that's not my experience.Quite the opposite.
            It's a joke, son.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

It's a joke, son.
              And that's the situation!
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                And that's the situation!
                You still had one of the best quotes: "Snookie is hot...from the eyes up."

Comment

It's a joke, son.
                  Actually I wasn't referring to you son, but to the statement made by Slap shot regarding one dimensional people from Europe. Which as I said is not my experience. Mostly they are a lot more sophisticated and informed on a variety of subjects than the average gopher fan is and even now what's going on in American politics.

Comment

Actually I wasn't referring to you son, but to the statement made by Slap shot regarding one dimensional people from Europe. Which as I said is not my experience. Mostly they are a lot more sophisticated and informed on a variety of subjects than the average gopher fan is and even now what's going on in American politics.
                    Then why didn't you quote Slap Shot?
                    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                    Originally posted by Quizmire
                    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Spare me the Kepler-like self-loathing never mind the Gopher remark. I didn't rip them and I didn't insult your mother so what's your freaking problem?

To be clear I'm referring more so to Euro travelers here, Bahrain, South Africa, Paraguay, Peru, a few countries in Western Europe as well as the Philippines (observations I've made going on 30+ years) for instance and not all of them.

Have you hung out with them in the places I have? As in outside their milieu? Manama, Marakesh, Sun City, Bangkok, Bogota, Muscat, Alexandria, Dubai, Manila, etc.?

So I know what I've seen quite repeatedly and I don't dislike them at all just noting an observation.

[edit] Oh and Americans I run into abroad are just as knowledgeable on local politics as the Euros are about our affairs.
                      Last edited by Slap Shot; 07-03-2018, 04:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        Spare me the Kepler-like self-loathing never mind the Gopher remark. I didn't rip them and I didn't insult your mother so what's your freaking problem?

To be clear I'm referring more so to Euro travelers here, Bahrain, South Africa, Paraguay, Peru, a few countries in Western Europe as well as the Philippines (observations I've made going on 30+ years) for instance and not all of them.

Have you hung out with them in the places I have? As in outside their milieu? Manama, Marakesh, Sun City, Bangkok, Bogota, Muscat, Alexandria, Dubai, Manila, etc.?

So I know what I've seen quite repeatedly and I don't dislike them at all just noting an observation.

[edit] Oh and Americans I run into abroad are just as knowledgeable on local politics as the Euros are about our affairs.
                        Bingo. The Europeans and Asians I met in Israel were just as clumsy and clueless as I was.

Tourists are more likely to be one-dimensional than the people that live there. Pretty obvious. Not sure why there's an argument about it.
                        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                          Tourists are more likely to be one-dimensional than the people that live there. Pretty obvious. Not sure why there's an argument about it.
                          It might also be that they're not so much one dimensional as the fact that they're on vacation. I personally don't go on vacation hoping to talk about Trump or American politics with other tourists or the locals. If people bring it up, I might briefly engage, but I usually try find an escape from the conversation, if I can.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Went to Brescia today. What a gem. Never heard of it, but it's metro area has 1.2 million people. At the foot on the Italian Alps, so the views are incredible. They've done an unbelievable job preserving Roman ruins there. It is also where the Mille Miglia (thousand mile over-the-road race) started and ended.

One more fun fact: It is where the headquarters for Beretta is found. (Okay, it's technically in a suburb.)
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                              Went to Brescia today. What a gem. Never heard of it, but it's metro area has 1.2 million people. At the foot on the Italian Alps, so the views are incredible. They've done an unbelievable job preserving Roman ruins there. It is also where the Mille Miglia (thousand mile over-the-road race) started and ended.

One more fun fact: It is where the headquarters for Beretta is found. (Okay, it's technically in a suburb.)
                              Wonderful spot. I have a framed picture at home from the 1951 MM starting line. Ferrari 335 Scaglietti Spyder I believe..

Now as far as the rest of this goes. Far be it form be to cast aspersions on a hockey fan, but I work in Europe and I vacation in Europe and i'm kind of like Mookie, there more often than I care to be really, but my experience has been that the average European are significantly more aware of American politics than the average American is of European politics. With some exceptions of course. They generally are better mannered as well. At least the ones I hang out with who are business people. But whatever, it's not that big a deal to get upset over.

Comment

Wonderful spot. I have a framed picture at home from the 1951 MM starting line. Ferrari 335 Scaglietti Spyder I believe..

Now as far as the rest of this goes. Far be it form be to cast aspersions on a hockey fan, but I work in Europe and I vacation in Europe and i'm kind of like Mookie, there more often than I care to be really, but my experience has been that the average European are significantly more aware of American politics than the average American is of European politics. With some exceptions of course. They generally are better mannered as well. At least the ones I hang out with who are business people. But whatever, it's not that big a deal to get upset over.
                                This is certainly true of the European folk I know compared to the US folks around where I live. Granted I live in a ridiculously insular part of Mass but~ these people would struggle to find where countries were on a European map never mind know politically what is going on outside of our borders. They are very proud they don't need to know that stuff. I find it painful.

Comment

Working...
                                X