This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Travel Part 3: Destination Unknown

Well, I'm not too surprised. I have experienced the same kind of friendliness and hospitality the 2 times I've been to Scotland. The Scottish are great people, and really one of the main reasons I am still itching to go back there.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      Well, I'm not too surprised. I have experienced the same kind of friendliness and hospitality the 2 times I've been to Scotland. The Scottish are great people, and really one of the main reasons I am still itching to go back there.
      This. Wish airfare was like it was a few yrs ago. We have family in Aberdeenshire there and I would love to move there. Only drawback is with climate change their weather has sig changed in the last 10 yrs. The gulf stream shifted when the ice cap diminished and changed the weather patterns. They are consistently having more snow, way later and waaaaaay more rain (I wouldn't have thought that was possible!).

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        So I have an amazing story. Here’s the semi tl;dr version.

Flight cancelled. Story above. Get stuck in a sh-t hotel. Have an ok meal but work “decided” to pay for a couple scotches at the hotel. So back to a 6/10.

Wake up at 430. Flight gets delayed. Twice. 8/10. Get over Paris and circle for 30. 8.75/10.

Can’t find gate because CDG sucks as labeling. 9/10. Flight delayed twice. Again. 9.25/10.

Get to car rental and their systems are fubar. 9/10 (they were awesome so I was laughing a lot). Still get out of there when my tour was supposed to start.

Race at breakneck speed from Aberdeen to Dufftown. 7/10. Lovely drive. The speed limits are seriously for your safety FYI.

Get to my B&B and my host hears I’m looking to go on a tour. She drives me in her personal car to get to the final regular tour of the day. 4/10.

Talk to front desk and the boss gets me latched onto my tour in the exclusive warehouse (the aroma may be literally intoxicating). So I’m thrilled. Then we get to do a four-person tasting. And we get to blend our own whiskey and bottle it. I can’t even remember my problems at this point.

I get up to the shop and after five minutes the tour guide walks in and says, “come with me.” I’m almost giddy.

I get a private tour of the distillery. He tells me I’ve come so far and had a rough flight so he personally walks me through.

I’m at a loss for words at how well I’ve been treated in Scotland. Not a single person has been anything short of wonderful.
        My general impression of people in other countries is that they are kind. Americans are basically the as-sholes of the planet. Once you leave here you realize that almost everywhere else people will treat you as a person, not as a business asset.

The rich in other countries are also as-sholes, so maybe it's just that all Americans are spoiled twats. The coming 200-year long Depression could not happen to a nicer bunch.
        Last edited by Kepler; 06-11-2018, 05:01 PM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          My general impression of people in other countries is that they are kind. Americans are basically the as-sholes of the planet. Once you leave here you realize that almost everywhere else people will treat you as a person, not as a business asset..
          I couldn't disagree more and if you were to ask most foreigners they would tell you the same thing. On the whole Americans are viewed as very outgoing, friendly and upbeat according to many Europeans, Koreans and Japanese for example and except for the, "Murica!" herpaderps they feel the same way when they travel here.

Most foreigners have also acted with kindness the majority of places I've gone as a traveler. However, when located more permanently Brits can be downright c**ks**kers, Koreans extremely arrogant and cold, Russians and Italians loud, drunk and obnoxious, etc.

I believe you find the average American an uneducated, racist lout compared with the rest of the world and while a lot of Americans do need to, "get out more" so to speak (of course it's a hell of a lot easier to go from London to Prague than from Raleigh to Paris) you haven't experienced racism until you go to Europe, SE Asia or the Middle East. Hell even in places like Mexico, Thailand and the Philippines the lighter your skin the better. And in Europe it's not just about nationalism there's a very unhealthy attitude there towards blacks that I wouldn't have imagined so 20+ years ago.

Comment

Yeah, I saw some pretty blatant racism at my missed flight hotel.

A darker-skinned woman asked for a water to be charged to her hotel room. The waitress’ tone of voice was standoffish and she couldn’t allow it without her husband (whose name the room was in) and the room key.

About 20 minutes later, an older white lady asked for a water and without question she was given water and allowed to put it on her room without a key or her husband. The waitress was very nice and used a light tone of voice.

And it’s not like either had been hanging around the restaurant for a long time so they were recognizable. Both had essentially just checked in and stopped by he restaurant.

Pretty sure the waitresses were all Russian after hearing them talk to each other.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              I couldn't disagree more and if you were to ask most foreigners they would tell you the same thing. On the whole Americans are viewed as very outgoing, friendly and upbeat according to many Europeans, Koreans and Japanese for example and except for the, "Murica!" herpaderps they feel the same way when they travel here.

Most foreigners have also acted with kindness the majority of places I've gone as a traveler. However, when located more permanently Brits can be downright c**ks**kers, Koreans extremely arrogant and cold, Russians and Italians loud, drunk and obnoxious, etc.

I believe you find the average American an uneducated, racist lout compared with the rest of the world and while a lot of Americans do need to, "get out more" so to speak (of course it's a hell of a lot easier to go from London to Prague than from Raleigh to Paris) you haven't experienced racism until you go to Europe, SE Asia or the Middle East. Hell even in places like Mexico, Thailand and the Philippines the lighter your skin the better. And in Europe it's not just about nationalism there's a very unhealthy attitude there towards blacks that I wouldn't have imagined so 20+ years ago.
              So very true.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                So very true.
                My experience is that almost everywhere people are the same. They have family, they have the same issues as everyone else.
                Out in society though things do change a bit. In Russia and in some mid eastern countries, the truth is not valued as it is in the west. So people are often telling you something that does not turn out to be true. its' kind of like they don't want the blame so they lie to cover up that it's their fault. The consequences of being blamed is huge so if there is a screw up, don't expect anyone to own up to it.

Quite the opposite, They are real good at accusing someone else of doing exactly what it is they did. Again it seems trying to deflect blame.
                But from a tourist point of view, it's mostly all the same pretty much everywhere. I'm sure there is racism but honestly, I haven't experienced it or witnessed it.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

I wasn't talking about derpism at all. That would not even figure in, since derps don't travel and foreigners visiting America don't visit the derps unless it's to use the bathroom.

The issue is our aggressiveness and, more, our thousand dollar stare. Americans have been in a consumerist pressure cooker for a century and it shows -- the meat has gone grey and flavorless. Places where that culture of abuse hasn't progressed quite so far are a lot friendlier and the people still have a smidgen of soul.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I wasn't talking about derpism at all. That would not even figure in, since derps don't travel and foreigners visiting America don't visit the derps unless it's to use the bathroom.

The issue is our aggressiveness and, more, our thousand dollar stare. Americans have been in a consumerist pressure cooker for a century and it shows -- the meat has gone grey and flavorless. Places where that culture of abuse hasn't progressed quite so far are a lot friendlier and the people still have a smidgen of soul.
                    When I was a kid and lived overseas I could spot an American a million miles away, without even hearing their voice. Hasn't changed much in all the yrs I have traveled. The general culture is to feel entitled and expect people to please them. They paid for it so they should get what ever they want ad being brash, obnoxious is the way to get it. There is an edge to it. They do not feel the need to fit in. People from other places may have expectations, assumptions but they are usually more polite when they demand what they want. Not sure how to describe it but many Americans don't have the same etiquette as other countries. It may be that the people from the other countries know the expected 'dance'. Not sure. I only know we stick out for the most part

Comment

I was happy to find out people here thought I was European. Many of the vendors I talked to came up holding German or Dutch brochures and most would start speaking to me in German. I’d apologize and ask if they spoke English in really poor German.

“Oh, English. You’re from America?”

Made me happy every time it happened. Glad I could fit in so well. They could have been blowing smoke up my azz, but I doubt they care if I think they thought I wasn’t American.

The only way I stick out was my tennis shoes when I’m out after work, but even then, that’s becoming commonplace.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                        When I was a kid and lived overseas I could spot an American a million miles away, without even hearing their voice. Hasn't changed much in all the yrs I have traveled. The general culture is to feel entitled and expect people to please them. They paid for it so they should get what ever they want ad being brash, obnoxious is the way to get it. There is an edge to it. They do not feel the need to fit in. People from other places may have expectations, assumptions but they are usually more polite when they demand what they want. Not sure how to describe it but many Americans don't have the same etiquette as other countries. It may be that the people from the other countries know the expected 'dance'. Not sure. I only know we stick out for the most part
                        I think we stick out because we're boring. We're talking about the sh-t we buy or the sh-t we see on our screens. We have no ability to be in human contact because our corporate masters have beaten it out of us with the constant hammering of advertising through every orifice for our entire lives.

We're the least human people on Earth. We're ambulatory purchasing kiosks.

Imagine America if the teevee turned off one day. Our entire population would go into toxic shock.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 06-13-2018, 01:34 PM.
                        Cornell University

Comment

I think we stick out because we're boring. We're talking about the sh-t we buy or the sh-t we see on our screens. We have no ability to be in human contact because our corporate masters have beaten it out of us with the constant hammering of advertising through every orifice for our entire lives.

We're the least human people on Earth. We're ambulatory purchasing kiosks.

Imagine America if the teevee turned off one day. Our entire population would go into toxic shock.
                          You must be the life of a party.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                          Twenty red lights in his honor
                          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                            don't get him started.....
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

We'll agree too disagree. Vehemently. Even elsewhere TV is a mad crutch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                                You know hard it is to find a postable picture of the dinner party in "Fail Safe "?
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X