Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Pairwise Predictor

IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR!

My annual Pairwise predictor is live. Instructions are self-explanatory, but basically input results in the drop downs and it will spit out the resulting Pairwise rankings.

Let me know if you have any questions or any other bug reports. And also, any interesting scenarios you can find.

NOTE THAT IT'S A HUGE FILE IT WILL SOMETIMES TAKE 5 SECONDS OR SO TO UPDATE THE NEXT ROUNDS WITH THE RESULTS YOU ENTERED. It will also not include the autobids until all results are entered.

Enjoy!

https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...lgate-pairwise

Click here to go to the Predictor!
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Re: 2018 Pairwise Predictor

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR!

My annual Pairwise predictor is live. Instructions are self-explanatory, but basically input results in the drop downs and it will spit out the resulting Pairwise rankings.

Let me know if you have any questions or any other bug reports. And also, any interesting scenarios you can find.

NOTE THAT IT'S A HUGE FILE IT WILL SOMETIMES TAKE 5 SECONDS OR SO TO UPDATE THE NEXT ROUNDS WITH THE RESULTS YOU ENTERED. It will also not include the autobids until all results are entered.

Enjoy!
    Great job, as usual.

I can come VERY close to getting St Lawrence in and Minnesota out with St Lawrence beating Clarkson in the ECAC semi-final (and BC winning and Wisconsin winning, etc.) without having to have Minnesota drop a game to St Cloud. But can't find the last .0003 or .0005 or .0007 to get them over the hump. So I guess I need two well-placed upsets.

Comment

I have yet to come up with any scenario where todays Top 4 (Wisco, BC, CCT and Colgate) remain the top 4 in some order. Even when BC, CCT and Colgate lose their opening round series in 2 games, Ohio State wins all their matchups, including beating Minny and Wisco for the WCHA title and the 8th place finisher in HE (UVM) and in the ECAC (Yale) win the tourneys. Ohio State still cannot get into a top 4 pairwise slot.
      Last edited by vicb; 02-18-2018, 07:06 PM.
      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
        Great job, as usual.
        Thank you sir

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
        Great job, as usual.
        I can come VERY close to getting St Lawrence in and Minnesota out with St Lawrence beating Clarkson in the ECAC semi-final (and BC winning and Wisconsin winning, etc.) without having to have Minnesota drop a game to St Cloud. But can't find the last .0003 or .0005 or .0007 to get them over the hump. So I guess I need two well-placed upsets.[/QUOTE]I feel like I saw a scenario that had SLU in but I don't remember if it had UM losing to St. Cloud or not. Usually when you can get to those last few ten-thousandths, though, there's something there that'll do it. Try giving Holy Cross the NEWHA win? They played Harvard so that might marginally help SLU.

Interestingly, St. Lawrence actually holds the Common Opponents comparison on Minnesota 2.500 to 2.000 -- I originally thought that the committee might consider kicking out the Gophers in favor of SLU if the RPI was a virtual tie, but there's no way they would do that with the Gophers also having the CoOpp advantage.

Originally posted by vicb View Post
        I have yet to come up with any scenario where todays Top 4 (Wisco, BC, CCT and Colgate) remain the top 4 in some order. Even when BC, CCT and Colgate lose their opening round series in 2 games, Ohio State wins all their matchups, including beating Minny and Wisco for the WCHA title and the 8th place finisher in HE (UVM) and in the ECAC (Yale) win the tourneys. Ohio State still cannot get into a top 4 pairwise slot.
        Yeah I believe that's accurate.

Comment

The Pairwise Predictor is updated so that all the completed games will default to what actually happened, which will cut down a ton on the number of selections you need to make.

One thing that appears true is that even though BC is currently #2 in the Pairwise, the Eagles have no shot at the #2 seed unless SLU or Cornell win the ECAC. If Colgate or Clarkson win, they'll be the 2 seed.

Comment

The Pairwise Predictor is updated so that all the completed games will default to what actually happened, which will cut down a ton on the number of selections you need to make.

One thing that appears true is that even though BC is currently #2 in the Pairwise, the Eagles have no shot at the #2 seed unless SLU or Cornell win the ECAC. If Colgate or Clarkson win, they'll be the 2 seed.

I was playing with the predictor previously and I saw that.

LETS GO TECH !!!!
            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

It looks like the only scenario in which Minnesota doesn't end up at #7 is if they win the WCHA tournament, in which case they can climb as high as #5. So, their own results are irrelevant at this point towards securing an at large bid. If BC wins Hockey East and St Lawrence does not win the ECAC, they're in. If either of those does not happen, they're out unless they win twice.

If Colgate or Clarkson win, they'll be the 2 seed.
              Unless Wisconsin loses the WCHA tournament, in which case a victorious Colgate or Clarkson would grab the #1 seed.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                Unless Wisconsin loses the WCHA tournament, in which case a victorious Colgate or Clarkson would grab the #1 seed.
                Ah, yes. I was thinking in context of getting the CHA champion, but you're right.

Comment

If BC wins Hockey East and St Lawrence does not win the ECAC, they're in.
                  Obviously, Bemidji State winning the WCHA would also sink the Gophers.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Which is entirely possible. It seems like UW plays down to opponents this year instead of just obliterating them, which will happen with a young team.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      Which is entirely possible. It seems like UW plays down to opponents this year instead of just obliterating them, which will happen with a young team.
                      ... or an overrated one.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        ... or an overrated one.
                        I get that. I would not argue against Colgate and/or Clarkson being ahead of them. UW is certainly not loaded like last year or the year before.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

... or an overrated one.
                          I would agree that in a one game elimination that the Badgers can be taken. I do believe they would be significant favorites if they were a series rather than one game. As for for overrated, I guess with the best record in the nation, in the toughest division in the nation, where would you put them? If getting swept by on overrated Wisconsin team 4 games and the Gophers suffered losses to Vermont, Bemidji and Merrimack, along with OT wins over Lindenwood, St Cloud and Mercyhurst. Not to mention more losses. Based on Wisconsin being overrated, perhaps the Gophers should not be in the post season discussion at all? Unless...does Kessel have another year?
                          Last edited by HockeyThumper; 02-27-2018, 10:16 AM.

Comment

... or an overrated one.
                            I would not qualify them as overrated. I would suggest that they far exceeded expectations. Not many of us would have predicted that on Feb 27th, 2018 the Badgers would be ranked #1 in the nation. They have come down to earth of late but their season should be recognized as a tremendous accomplishment. Personally, I see them playing Sunday and they will win the WCHA crown. As for a National title, I really like Colgate.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                              Not many of us would have predicted that on Feb 27th, 2018 the Badgers would be ranked #1 in the nation.

Comment

Working...
                              X