Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017-18 St. Cloud State Season Thread - Second Attempt

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    Head coach at Northern Michigan or Anchorage is different than head coach at St. Cloud. Mike Hastings was at the U for one year. Aside from Potulny, you are listing guys who were assistants at UMTC when they clearly had a better program than SCSU. Those roles have been reversed. People want assistants from successful programs. Not just big ones.

Nice selective outrage. It isn't okay for Motzko to leave for a job that pays more, but it is ok for Raboin to do so. I guess that's the kind of logic I can expect from someone who wanted to make Mark Parrish the head coach.
    Wow, salty. You're deluding yourself about what constitutes a "better" program. Motzko took the gig at Minnesota because it paid better, but Minnesota took Motzko because he was a proven winner. The "better" programs have that luxury. In contrast, SCSU's only three D1 coaches were promoted into the position. None of our assistant coaches have ever taken a direct D1 promotion outside of SCSU. Hell, even Bob's promotion inside SCSU was a half step from associate to head. I listed six Gopher assistants who took direct D1 promotions and there are more than that. it's a smaller step and a good career move, plain and simple.

EDIT: Also, my preferred candidate was Grönborg specifically because it would have been at worst a lateral move for him and a huge get for SCSU. Same goes for Hastings. I never advocated for Parrish to be head coach. If I suggested him, he was merely among a list of others. I did advocate for him as an assistant coach and I'd happily defend that position.
    Last edited by The Exiled One; 04-18-2018, 02:31 PM.
    scsuhockey.com
    CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
      Motzko, Hastings, Potulny, Hill, Beutow, Perpich... The step from Gopher assistant to head coach is shorter than from SCSU assistant to head coach.

Making more money.
      What made Hastings and Motzko attractive was not that they'd been at the U for a short period of time. They had successful head coaching experience in the USHL and experience as college assistants on winning programs. I can't think Hastings' U of M experience was any more beneficial to his cause than his UNO experience, and both probably counted less than his Lancer resume. I just don't see how Raboin going to U of M makes him a more attractive head coach candidate.

Comment

Wow, salty. You're deluding yourself about what constitutes a "better" program. Motzko took the gig at Minnesota because it paid better, but Minnesota took Motzko because he was a proven winner. The "better" programs have that luxury. In contrast, SCSU's only three D1 coaches were promoted into the position. None of our assistant coaches have ever taken a direct D1 promotion outside of SCSU. Hell, even Bob's promotion inside SCSU was a half step from associate to head. I listed six Gopher assistants who took direct D1 promotions and there are more than that. it's a smaller step and a good career move, plain and simple.

EDIT: Also, my preferred candidate was Grönborg specifically because it would have been at worst a lateral move for him and a huge get for SCSU. Same goes for Hastings. I never advocated for Parrish to be head coach. If I suggested him, he was merely among a list of others. I did advocate for him as an assistant coach and I'd happily defend that position.
        I am not deluding myself at all. Minnesota has more of a past history of success. That is why people wanted the assistants. Beutow is ancient history. I have never even heard of Perpich. John Hill, boy there is a name you can hang your hat on. It WAS a smaller step. Doesn't mean it still is. And if you honestly think that being an assistant at the U of M is more likely to land Raboin a job as the HC at St. Cloud than if he kept the same position he is in, I don't know what to tell you.

"Another thought... Matt Cullen. Probably not as a head coach, but he could back up Gibby. He'd help recruiting in the short term as well. Frankly, Parrish falls into that category as well. He already has some HS head coaching experience to boot.

Hell, let's just go: HC-Parrish, AC-Cullen, AC-Raboin"
        Last edited by Tipsy McStagger; 04-18-2018, 03:25 PM.
        Originally posted by SJHovey
        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
        Originally posted by Brenthoven
        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
          What made Hastings and Motzko attractive was not that they'd been at the U for a short period of time. They had successful head coaching experience in the USHL and experience as college assistants on winning programs. I can't think Hastings' U of M experience was any more beneficial to his cause than his UNO experience, and both probably counted less than his Lancer resume. I just don't see how Raboin going to U of M makes him a more attractive head coach candidate.
          No, you're wrong. The one year Hastings spent at the U of M is the only reason anyone wanted him as a head coach.
          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Pioneer Press View Post
            It looks like Scott Bell and Garrett Raboin will be on new Gophers men’s hockey coach Bob Motzko’s staff.
            SOURCE

It's not just about the money. It's career advancement. Any non-homer understands this.
            scsuhockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
              SOURCE

It's not just about the money. It's career advancement. Any non-homer understands this.
              It isn't homerish to think it's not career advancement when SCSU has been on par with MN in the recent past.
              If having MN on your resume somehow makes someone better qualified for being a head coach than SCSU...the person hiring is focusing on the "history" and the name and likely not what happened during your tenure.
              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                It isn't homerish to think it's not career advancement when SCSU has been on par with MN in the recent past.
                If having MN on your resume somehow makes someone better qualified for being a head coach than SCSU...the person hiring is focusing on the "history" and the name and likely not what happened during your tenure.
                Being an assistant at a university like the U of M, or others of its scale, carry greater pressure to perform for the fans. I'm not talking about the product on the ice, I mean talking to the media, small-ish group meetings with boosters, radio show interviews, and so on. Every coach, both assistant and head, has the pressure to put out the best product with the talent they can recruit. Not all coaches have to deal with the scale of media and fan interaction that a program the size of the U brings with it. If an assistant coach can perform under those circumstances, he's more likely to be considered for a head coaching job elsewhere.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  Being an assistant at a university like the U of M, or others of its scale, carry greater pressure to perform for the fans. I'm not talking about the product on the ice, I mean talking to the media, small-ish group meetings with boosters, radio show interviews, and so on. Every coach, both assistant and head, has the pressure to put out the best product with the talent they can recruit. Not all coaches have to deal with the scale of media and fan interaction that a program the size of the U brings with it. If an assistant coach can perform under those circumstances, he's more likely to be considered for a head coaching job elsewhere.
                  I don't agree that dealing with pressure there makes him better...but that's me.
                  A step up for a career would be the USHL as a head coach..this for me is a lateral move.
                  I wish Oliver luck in learning here...seems like he has good teachers.
                  "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                  -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                  Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

SOURCE

I am glad we have you around to enlighten us with all your experience working in athletic departments and as a member of search committees. I look forward to Mark Parrish or Matt Cullen being named head coach of another lucky college program, what with all of their qualifications that you so astutely recognized. I will keep my eyes peeled for the Klarley Balters "Don't print that" announcing the news.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                      I am glad we have you around to enlighten us with all your experience working in athletic departments and as a member of search committees. I look forward to Mark Parrish or Matt Cullen being named head coach of another lucky college program, what with all of their qualifications that you so astutely recognized. I will keep my eyes peeled for the Klarley Balters "Don't print that" announcing the news.
                      https://***********/TheNCHC/status/988424966990426114?s=19

Zoom into the left...between Gibby and Lars is Nick Oliver.
                      It's done.
                      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                      Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                        https://***********/TheNCHC/status/988424966990426114?s=19

Zoom into the left...between Gibby and Lars is Nick Oliver.
                        It's done.
                        Funny how SCSU hasn't made it official and yet from that photo it's clearly happening.
                        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                          Funny how SCSU hasn't made it official and yet from that photo it's clearly happening.
                          Until Raboin's deal is finalized, SCSU and it's employees can't go on the record about his employment status because he remains an SCSU employee. Even though he's definitely leaving, he hasn't officially resigned yet. I don't know why.

It's an open secret as evidenced by the photo. I've known about this since the day they announced Larson as head coach.
                          scsuhockey.com

Comment

Jimmy Schuldt returning for his senior year. I am pretty surprised.

Comment

I'm surprised by this too, especially after the coaching change. In this day and age of players leaving early and often, its rare to have a player of his caliber around 4 full seasons. So it looks like the off-season losses are Winiecki, Peterson, Ilvonen, Borgen, and Eyssimont. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a better regular season next year than they did this year.

Comment

Ilvonen can still come back.
                                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                                Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

Working...
                                X