Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017-18 St. Cloud State Season Thread - Second Attempt

nchchockey.com

Robby makes sure the pic is in front of the Dogpound!
    Last edited by hockeykrazy; 02-25-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Anyone remember like 6-7 years ago when some in our fan base were saying we should be happy we were staying in the WCHA and not going to the NCHC cuz that wasn't what was best for us? Then we win the Penrose two of the first five years, are the first school to win the NCHC regular season and postseason tournament, and in the first four years of the postseason tournament we have made it to the championship game? No? Just me?

Forget about our own Pairwise for a second... anyone else feel like these games are huge bc we need to do everything we can to rub out UND from the NCAA tournament? I really am hoping SCSU ends up in Sioux Falls but am much less excited about it if UND ends up there too... North Dakota isn't as good of a team but they seem like the kind of mediocre team that with the crowd behind them could pull off the upset. If they sweep the #1 team in the nation that's a huge boost to their PWR and on the other hand if SCSU sweeps it likely would cause UND to have to go on the road for the NCHC playoffs. I just have the feeling that if they make it in they are a #4 seed and if SCSU finishes as one of the top two teams they deserve to go to Sioux Falls but they don't deserve to play UND in the first round to do it (though the committee wouldn't want an NCHC conference match up in the first round so we'd probably get sent out east).

Also... since when is Allentown, PA in the Midwest?!?
      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
        Anyone remember like 6-7 years ago when some in our fan base were saying we should be happy we were staying in the WCHA and not going to the NCHC cuz that wasn't what was best for us?
        Actually, I remember those events quite distinctly. I was peripherally involved. After the president of SCSU publicly said they wouldn't apply to join the NCHC and they'd be staying the the WCHA, I wrote an angry email to the AD, Morris Kurtz. (I'm sure he received several.) Morris called me to talk about my email and I laid out all the reasons why failing to pursue membership in the NCHC would be a huge mistake. Morris hinted that things were happening behind the scenes at SCSU and that the Huskies would indeed end up in the NCHC.

I have the email trail to back all this up. Also, Morris offered me a personal tour of the renovated NHC but he left before I could cash in.

Sometime thereafter, the SCTimes wrote a story about the conference realignment process at SCSU and filed a FOI request, My email ended up getting published because Morris had forwarded it to the president. My name was not redacted. At first that bugged me, but then I decided that I was happy with getting some credit for helping SCSU ultimately make the right decision.
        Last edited by The Exiled One; 02-27-2018, 12:51 PM. Reason: Misremembered, fixed
        scsuhockey.com
        CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

I took the stance of wanting to be in the NCHC, just because the competition would force the school to get better. At the same time, I was still going to support the boys if they were stuck playing in the diluted WCHA.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
            Anyone remember like 6-7 years ago when some in our fan base were saying we should be happy we were staying in the WCHA and not going to the NCHC cuz that wasn't what was best for us? Then we win the Penrose two of the first five years, are the first school to win the NCHC regular season and postseason tournament, and in the first four years of the postseason tournament we have made it to the championship game? No? Just me?
            I don't remember that. What was their reasoning behind thinking the WCHA was "best for us?"
            Originally posted by SJHovey
            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
            Originally posted by Brenthoven
            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

I think a lot were worried about being able to win since at the time it was announced we hadn't won anything really and our record with the NCHC schools was poor.
              It has worked out but I understood the fear.
              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

What FTLT said. Basically people being afraid we would become the doormat of the NCHC. Also I think a few were saying it bc "Since we didn't get invited, we didn't want it anyway!" That attitude has now become the motto of another Huskies team I can think of
                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                  I don't remember that. What was their reasoning behind thinking the WCHA was "best for us?"
                  Maybe they played one of the six sports that got cut, or were one of the 1000-1500 people that have stopped going to games because they're too expensive.
                  Originally posted by dicaslover
                  Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                  Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                    Maybe they played one of the six sports that got cut, or were one of the 1000-1500 people that have stopped going to games because they're too expensive.
                    I thought Michigan Tech grads were supposed to be smart?

So you're telling me that the people that played one of the sports that got cut knew, years beforehand, that when the NCHC was formed that their sport would eventually be cut? I am sure you were so concerned that you actually were in contact with one of those people to comfort them over the loss of their partial scholarship. You wouldn't just be concern trolling about people that were having their education subsidized by other students because they play a sport no one cares about.

People stopped going to games because in 10-15 years, the price of a ticket has gone up $5? And you have intimate knowledge that the NCHC's formation is the reason for that $5 increase? I wonder if any of those fans are paying $90 to have the ability to watch over 80% of the teams games on NCHC.tv...

I am glad that there are Michigan Tech fans butthurt enough about us leaving the WCHA 5 years ago, that they are still crying about it. And it's really rich, because their team voluntarily left the WCHA too, but when they did it, it was totally cool because they ended up coming back when the decision didn't work out as well as they had planned. Not hypocritical at all. Hopefully a NMU fan comes in here to whine about it with you, because there are a few of them still butthurt about it too. I would tell you to get over it and get a life, but that ship has obviously sailed.

EDIT: Oh and here is an excerpt from the newspaper about the sports being cut:
                    http://www.startribune.com/st-cloud-...ams/370796061/
                    St. Cloud State, like other public universities across the state, is dealing with falling enrollment and nagging deficits. SCSU enrollment stands at 15,461, down from 18,650 in the fall of 2010, a more dramatic drop than at many of its sister schools. It is currently battling a $6 million budget gap.

Sorry if that gets in the way of your jealousy about St. Cloud's hockey program being one of the best in the country and yours still being in the toilet.
                    Last edited by Tipsy McStagger; 02-28-2018, 08:42 AM.
                    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

I
                      EDIT: Oh and here is an excerpt from the newspaper about the sports being cut:
                      http://www.startribune.com/st-cloud-...ams/370796061/
                      St. Cloud State, like other public universities across the state, is dealing with falling enrollment and nagging deficits. SCSU enrollment stands at 15,461, down from 18,650 in the fall of 2010, a more dramatic drop than at many of its sister schools. It is currently battling a $6 million budget gap.

Sorry if that gets in the way of your jealousy about St. Cloud's hockey program being one of the best in the country and yours still being in the toilet.
                      Also, his adopted school, via his fiancée/wife, was noted in that same article as having dropped programs back in 2011 for exactly the same reasons as stated by SCSU. Oh...
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Huskies 8-0-2 over their last 10 games.

Comment

Huskies 8-0-2 over their last 10 games.
                          I miss Fred’s Dead Friend

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                            He would have come back if St. Cloud was losing and the Gophers were winning. I have no doubt about that.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                              FredsDeadFriend

My prediction next 6, 2-4 overall, but 1-5 wouldn't surprise me at all.
                              Spot on with his predictions too...
                              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Didn't get to see the games this weekend. Did the Huskies give full effort? I know they had the conference locked up but thinking they would have wanted to do everything they could to try to knock out UND so they could possibly play in Sioux Falls instead of flying east in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X