Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017-18 St. Cloud State Season Thread - Second Attempt

Originally posted by Rabid Gopher View Post
    Maybe that was it....then we lost to Susie?
    That is correct. And I believe the Holy Cross game was 2 vs 21.

Comment

This is worse than being a Cubs fan.
      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Bender14 View Post
        That is correct. And I believe the Holy Cross game was 2 vs 21.
        Yikes..... guess the Gophers aren't the worst anymore
        National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by Rabid Gopher View Post
          Yikes..... guess the Gophers aren't the worst anymore
          What was RIT's PWR when knocked off the Pios at the Albany regional in 2010?

Comment

• Huskies find a way to choke again in the tournament. SCSU team this year was really good too. Thought this might be the year for Cloud. Only NCHC team I would’ve been fine with winning a title. Instead my bracket gets busted right off the bat.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              What was RIT's PWR when knocked off the Pios at the Albany regional in 2010?
              2 and 25. RIT over Mankato was 1 and 38.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                Mostzko is gone. No way he doesn't take the Gophers job
                Has he been offered it?
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

There was no urgency or will power in the first period and the first half of the second period. They looked sloppy on defense too. The first power play was a complete train wreck. Their play in the latter half of the second and the third was how they have looked most of the season but by then it was already too late. Its pretty obvious what Air Force wants to do. Get a lead and lock it down, and they executed. I thought their first goal was a high stick also but that's a minor detail. Its basically just a repeat against Ferris State 2 years ago, deja vu.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabid Gopher View Post
                    I seem to recall AF knocking off the Gophers back in the mid 2000's.
                    You're probably thinking of 2007 when they had to stage a big 3rd period comeback to beat them. Then they lost to UND on that wrap around in the next game.

Comment

St. Cloud State has won 1 NCAA game in their history as the higher seed. Against Northern Michigan as a two seed in double OT in 2010. It's getting real old.
                      Originally posted by SJHovey
                      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                      Originally posted by Brenthoven
                      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

SCSU mostly outplayed AFA in that one, sometimes you just get a bit unlucky and I think AFA's goalie has been on a hot streak lately. The Huskies had a good season it's just that the tournament can be cruel to higher seeds given the format.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                          SCSU mostly outplayed AFA in that one, sometimes you just get a bit unlucky and I think AFA's goalie has been on a hot streak lately. The Huskies had a good season it's just that the tournament can be cruel to higher seeds given the format.
                          If I heard the TV guys correctly St. Cloud has been to the tournament 13 times but has lost the first game 9 of those times? Given the way they played against the Gophers earlier in the season I'm shocked at today's result. It was very obvious, to me at least, that the Huskies were the more skilled team BY FAR, but it took them about half the game to really start showing it. Still I remained confident that they would pull out the win, all the way up until about 5 minutes to go, when doubts started to creep in due to the diminishing time left of the clock. I really think if the two teams played each other three more times SCSU would win them all.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Maybe we would...but when it is one and done...
                            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              If I heard the TV guys correctly St. Cloud has been to the tournament 13 times but has lost the first game 9 of those times? Given the way they played against the Gophers earlier in the season I'm shocked at today's result. It was very obvious, to me at least, that the Huskies were the more skilled team BY FAR, but it took them about half the game to really start showing it. Still I remained confident that they would pull out the win, all the way up until about 5 minutes to go, when doubts started to creep in due to the diminishing time left of the clock. I really think if the two teams played each other three more times SCSU would win them all.
                              Alright! Let's call the NCAA and have them play best of 3!

Just call it what it was. A choke job. We looked terrified the first ten minutes of the game. Luckily escaped the first period tied. Then made two lazy, terrible passes that cost us two goals. Happy with the way our guys fought back and played in the second half of the game, but it was too late. You can't give a team like that a two goal lead. They had three guys in front of the net every time we had the puck in their zone. And their guys played fearless.

This is the second time in 3 years we have squandered a really favorable draw. We had a regional in St Paul to ourselves and blew it to an inferior team. #1 seeds playing within driving distance to that point had won like 90-95% of the time or something crazy like that. Not St. Cloud, though. THIS YEAR, we had not only a regional within driving distance, the Frozen Four was in St. Paul. Minnesota in 2002, Duluth in 2011, hey that could be us. That should be us. Of course not. Become only the second #1 overall seed to lose in the first round.

This is like re-living that Vikings loss all over again two months later. I might have to take up rock climbing or something because I can't take this crap anymore.
                              Originally posted by SJHovey
                              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                              Originally posted by Brenthoven
                              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                                Maybe we would...but when it is one and done...
                                Yeah, I know, on a par with No. 16 UMBC upsetting No. 1 Virginia in the bouncy ball South Regional.
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X