Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18 Part II

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
    Even if they screw up next weekend they'll probably still get in.

They had some momentum going into this weekend, but that's gone. In a one and done NCAA format, they just don't have the right pieces in place to go far. That PP is historically the worst I've ever seen in a Gopher uniform. Bell has not gotten it done this season.
    Well it depends how you look at it...

The 2012-2013 team was far more talented than this team and lost to Yale in the first round on a dumb play. Last year's team was far better than this one we all remember how that ended. If anything a one and done format favors underdogs and this team while "inconsistent" could easily outplay a team in one game and get lucky (i.e. Robson is on fire) and get to the Frozen Four.

The bigger issue is even if they do that, what exactly is the plan going forward? It seems like Don sorta does the bare minimum every year to keep his job. While I hope we pull off an improbable run like the 07-08 season (this team stylistically is really similar imo) I'm not sure that'd be the best for the long term. I questioned the direction of this team during that year and here we still are...
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 02-25-2018, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Friday was inexcusable. One of the poorest efforts from a Gopher team that I can remember, and I've been following the Gophers for a long time.

Saturday was SO much better. They were trying hard, looking like they really cared and wanted to atone for the night before. Trouble is, it still wasn't enough to win the game. The effort was there, but it wasn't enough, enough to get a single point and avoid having to travel to face the same team that just swept them...not exactly a scenario that helps build confidence.

No, the season's not over, but all of a sudden - in my eyes at least - they've become decided underdogs to advance very far in the post-season. Sure they can still surprise, in a single game or two, but I just don't think they're consistent enough to have a reasonable shot at going very far. Wish I could be more optimistic...
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Well we’ll see how adjust or if they adjust

Idk if I’ve ever been a believer of them struggling on NHL ice vs big ice, there’s just so many other variables to consider. But with our somewhat inconsistent blue line playing against a hard forecheck while ours is more passive/trapping more often, it’s a bit of a disadvantage and it’s not shocking that our puck possession was horrible on Friday.

If Robson plays perfectly then sure this system “works” but we saw what happens when he doesn’t.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
          Well it depends how you look at it...

The 2012-2013 team was far more talented than this team and lost to Yale in the first round on a dumb play. Last year's team was far better than this one we all remember how that ended. If anything a one and done format favors underdogs and this team while "inconsistent" could easily outplay a team in one game and get lucky (i.e. Robson is on fire) and get to the Frozen Four.

The bigger issue is even if they do that, what exactly is the plan going forward? It seems like Don sorta does the bare minimum every year to keep his job. While I hope we pull off an improbable run like the 07-08 season (this team stylistically is really similar imo) I'm not sure that'd be the best for the long term. I questioned the direction of this team during that year and here we still are...
          I was wondering what you meant here Trix because we got clobbered in the first round of the NCAAs that year against BC. Or were you thinkin' WCHA F5?

Despite the Gopher's performance gaps at times, I'll go out on a limb like a crazed Gopher fan and predict they win against Penn St. in their barn this weekend in three.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
            I was wondering what you meant here Trix because we got clobbered in the first round of the NCAAs that year against BC. Or were you thinkin' WCHA F5?
            The F5 is what I was referring to, you're right the season didn't end well.

Edit: sounds like the upcoming series will only be on BTN PLU$
            Last edited by trixR4kids; 02-26-2018, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trixr4kids View Post

edit: Sounds like the upcoming series will only be on btn plu$
              what??????

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                what??????
                No tv. Only B1G streaming.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

While the Gophers were crapping the bed on Sat. against PSU, Ryan Lindgren was traded from the Bruins to the New York Rangers. Only a coincidence...

OFFICIAL: #NYR have acquired a first-round pick in the 2018 NHL Draft, defenseman Ryan Lindgren, forwards Ryan Spooner and Matt Beleskey, and a seventh-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft from the Bruins in exchange for Rick Nash.

Comment

Mike Reilly to Montreal.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      No tv. Only B1G streaming.
                      So $10 for a month pass. Tough call to make. I would be ****ed to pay $10 to see a repeat of last weekend. Don't have that much confidence it will go much differently.

Comment

So $10 for a month pass. Tough call to make. I would be ****ed to pay $10 to see a repeat of last weekend. Don't have that much confidence it will go much differently.
                        Feel exactly the same. Probably a last minute decision for me.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Pay the 10 bucks...Gophers will win the series. I'm so confident about this weekend, I'll reimburse you if for some "strange" reason they don't.

Comment

Gopher fans are complaining about attendance at Mariucci while debating whether to pay $5 or less per game to watch their team in the conference playoffs. Wow.
                            Originally posted by SJHovey
                            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                            Originally posted by Brenthoven
                            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                              Gopher fans are complaining about attendance at Mariucci while debating whether to pay $5 or less per game to watch their team in the conference playoffs. Wow.
                              Yeah that's a bit perplexing to me as well. I mean I get it - we're used to most games being on TV and you think the playoffs of all games would be covered, but $10? C'mon.

Comment

I'm thinking about paying the $10 and I won't even be able to watch on Saturday lol. But like a certain season ticket holder on GPL says, I'm a sucker for punishment.
                                "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X