Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18 Part II

GAMEDAY!

Mat Robson did it again last week. Robson was second Big Ten Star of the Week for his play against the Buckeyes last weekend. IIRC this is his 4th Big Ten Star of the Week award in his first season.

Robson has played a major role in the Gophers 6-1-1 record in the last 8. He's 5-1-1 in seven consecutive starts, with one SO and four games allowing only one goal. Overall Robson is 7-2-1 with a 1.53 GAA (2nd in NCAA) and .945 SV% (3rd in NCAA).

A sweep this weekend in Happy Valley would not only help the Gophers maintain 8th in the PWR, it will bump them up into 3rd place meaning a likely BADger matchup at Mariucci for the first round of the B1G playoffs.

On the hand if the Gophers are swept, they will lose home ice and will be back at Happy Valley for the first round (Unless Wis sweeps @ OSU - yeah unlikely!, then we're at Yost).

The Gophers need at least a T to seal the deal for home ice which will send the Nittany Lions to Mariucci for the best of three playoff series.

Go Gophers!
    Last edited by SteveO; 02-23-2018, 08:58 AM.

Comment

The early start will throw me off my normal daily routine. I hope we sweep Pedo St and get some good mojo coming up to the tourney.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
        A sweep this weekend would feel very good.
        Word.
        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
          A sweep this weekend in Happy Valley would not only help the Gophers maintain 8th in the PWR, it will bump them up into 3rd place meaning a likely BADger matchup at Mariucci for the first round of the B1G playoffs.

On the hand if the Gophers are swept, they will lose home ice and will be back at Happy Valley for the first round (Unless Wis sweeps @ OSU - yeah unlikely!, then we're at Yost).

The Gophers need at least a T to seal the deal for home ice which will send the Nittany Lions to Mariucci for the best of three playoff series.
          Not sure which I would prefer, the Badgers at home or the Nittany Lions at home. I like our chances either way. What's important is that the Gophers are at home.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Kick Pedo's arse!!

Comment

Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

What a bunch of goons.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I don't have to worry about tix to this year's F4, I see. Ugh. Turrble.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Gophers found out why Penn St. leads the NCAA in SOG (1348) by nearly 200 over 2nd place MSU-M (1152). Credit Penn St. who played perhaps their most complete game all year, putting up a season high SOG. It's rare when the Gophers are outshot 61-15, but that's not entirely due to PSU throwing everything at Robson.

On the other side, the Gopher offense went for a nice skate, and were totally flat with very little puck possession time all game. Add to that a couple costly turnovers by the D and the game was clearly out of reach for the sputtering offense with season lows of 4 SOG in the 1st and 3rd periods.

I thought the scoreless 3 min. PP in the 3rd down by one goal was an huge opportunity lost for the Gophers. Now at 13%, the PP has been pathetic all season, although there's been some PP success lately. But again not tonight when we really needed it. We won't go deep into the post-season without consistent PP scoring. The boys better show some desperation on offense tomorrow night.

Comment

Penn State leads shots because their home scorer is an actual moron.

Compare the gophers score sheet to theirs sometime. You know, someone who actually understands what a shot is.
                      Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Penn State leads shots because their home scorer is an actual moron.

Compare the gophers score sheet to theirs sometime. You know, someone who actually understands what a shot is.
                        ^^^^^^^

Comment

47% of Penn St.'s 1348 total SOG this season were on the road. That's only a SOGM of approx. 40 more SOG @ home vs road games.

Five times PSU has 40+ SOG on the road vs 8X at home. Just based on face validity alone, I don't see a statistically significant bias for home SOG totals. PSU led the NCAA last year too.

Comment

Oh my god that’s great.
                            Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              I don't have to worry about tix to this year's F4, I see. Ugh. Turrble.
                              Bemidji made it. I wouldn't write the Gophers off yet.
                              Originally posted by SJHovey
                              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                              Originally posted by Brenthoven
                              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Oh my god that’s great.
                                "We get the stats manual too, thanks for sharing!"

Yes I am a grammar-Nazi and I'm here to call out the idiots.
                                Originally posted by alfablue
                                Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                                Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                                I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Working...
                                X