Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18 Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18 Part II

So....are you hoping for another Dahl Stall?
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

What does Fred have to say about all this? Hope you guys didn't scare him off with all your picking on him!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
        What does Fred have to say about all this? Hope you guys didn't scare him off with all your picking on him!
        I don't know but at least I don't have to sort through as much spam anymore

That said IDK what his timeout situation is exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
          During the 2008–2009 season, Lucia was diagnosed with sarcoidosis, an autoimmune disease causing him to miss several games.

This illness, combined with an escalating number of players taking their talents to the NHL as a result of the 2006-07 CBA led to a drop in on-ice performance and a subsequent recalibration of the Gopher's recruiting strategy. The Gophers missed the NCAA tournament for three straight seasons from 2008-11.

What have the Gophers done under Coach Lucia since then compared to other top coaches and programs over the previous 6 seasons (2011-12 to 2016-17)?

LT: League Tournament, RS: Regular Season Title, FF: Frozen Four Appearance

1) York (BC) - W%/.675, 5 NCAA Appearances, 3 FF, 1 LT, 4 RS
          2) Lucia (UMN) - W%/.667, 5 NCAA Appearances, 2 FF, 1 LT, 6 RS
          3) Hakstol/Berry (UND) - W%/.653, 6 NCAA Appearances, 3 FF, 1 LT, 2 RS, 1 National Title
          4) Gwozdecky/Montgomery (DU) - W%/.621, 5 NCAA Appearances, 2 FF, 1 LT, 1 RS, 1 National Title
          5) Sandelin (UMD) - W%/.569, 4 NCAA Appearances, 1 FF, 1 LT
          6) Berenson (UMich) - W%/.568, 2 NCAA Appearances, 1 LT

Based on the stats above, is there any legitimate reason to call for Lucia's dismissal?
          Well maybe I'm being overly harsh but I don't think he gets off scot free for the seasons in which he was ill. There's a reason he was basically forced into hiring Guentzel back after that rather than just continuing on healthy and not changing anything.

But even if we just take your premise and measure the seasons after that you have to account for the fact that a lot of the winning percentage and RS titles are due to an abysmal B1G conference at the time. We got an autobid in a year where we at best would've barely snuck in (had we not won the conf. tournament), similar to this year, in 14-15. That team had basically the same players as the national championship team minus Gabe Guertler, Holl, and Serratore/Parentau.

I think with Lucia you need to look at how he's doing this and the context when comparing to the other coaches. Sandelin did almost the same with less to work with. His win% isn't nearly as impressive but when you look at the NCHC and the fact that he can't get some of the top end talent that we do it's arguably more impressive than what Lucia did during that timeframe. Gwoz/Montie definitely did more with less. Berenson should've been out sooner, I'll just leave it at that. Not entirely sure what the deal with York/BC is recently but their run of success was incredible and that'll buy anyone quite a bit of rope.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Dahl puts us at 76%. There's your final number.
            OK, odds of the Gophers getting in are still good, but then advancing as the 15th or 16th seed, not so good. Anything beyond a "one and done" in the tournament would be considered an upset, a notable achievement in an otherwise disappointing season.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

We wouldn’t be 15th or 16th. We’d be 12th-14th. I highly recommend Dahl’s blog post. He gives all of the percentages for each seed.

Even then, there aren’t a lot of teams who would say, “Yeah, as a one seed we definitely want to play Minnesota.”
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                We wouldn’t be 15th or 16th. We’d be 12th-14th. I highly recommend Dahl’s blog post. He gives all of the percentages for each seed.

Even then, there aren’t a lot of teams who would say, “Yeah, as a one seed we definitely want to play Minnesota.”
                While I agree with this, I can't say there are some teams who are scared of us.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

We'll probably play Cornell if we get in. I don't think SCSU, Notre Dame, or OSU would have been scared at all.

Comment

I see that former assistant and now head coach at Northern Michigan Grant Potulny just won the WCHA's Coach of the Year award. Not saying that this makes him the front-runner if Minnesota does decide to make a change, but I would think he would at least be a candidate deserving of some consideration.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

The only one year of HC experience is what's scary.

As bad as this sounds, after we pick the next guy, maybe it's something where if it doesn't pan out we plan to go for Grant in a few years. Guessing the U would be his preferred destination.

Give Bob M four years and see where we're at.

Comment

I'd be all for G$ but I'd have to think with the lack of experience as a head coach, not just an assistant, it's not going to happen. The early success is fantastic to see, albeit in a lesser conference. And let's be honest, no offense to Tech or to take anything away from NMU, but if Northern Michigan makes the NCAAs they will not have had to beat the consensus best team in their conference to do it. It's not NMU's fault that Kato didn't hold up their end of the bargain in the conference tourney, but I could see that being used as kind of an asterisk against Potulny.
                        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                          I am because dx is acting like Mel Pearson is a perfect parallel to Bob Motzko despite the fact that Motzko coached at the U of M for 4 seasons and Pearson was at Michigan for 23. And Pearson had 6 years at the helm of Tech vs. 13 for Bob at SCSU. And Pearson was coaching in a conference where you can win the regular season title and still miss the NCAA tournament vs. being in the best conference in college hockey that can get 5-6 teams into the tournament. I am glad our coach is in demand and understand there is a possibility he leaves. It's just funny after all the years of derision from Gopher fans about our program being dogcrap, they now want our coach and some of them are delusional enough to think it's a sure thing.
                          Sorry, I'm late to this one. But hey, if the U comes calling and Motzko bails maybe you can hang a banner at the Concrete Center next to the participation banners? "Gophers Stole Our Coach 2018"

FTR, who is calling your program 'dogcrap'? Anyone wearing maroon and gold can't really say that with a straight face.....
                          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                            Sorry, I'm late to this one. But hey, if the U comes calling and Motzko bails maybe you can hang a banner at the Concrete Center next to the participation banners? "Gophers Stole Our Coach 2018"

FTR, who is calling your program 'dogcrap'? Anyone wearing maroon and gold can't really say that with a straight face.....
                            I don't think he is saying it happened recently. But 5 to 10 years ago anything we mentioned we were proud of kind of got poo-poo'ed
                            tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post

You've been on this board since March of 2008 and you are asking that question "with a straight face"? This has been going on since I have been on this board, and I bet I can go over to GPL and find posts from THIS YEAR, probably even one from you, ripping on our program.
                              Originally posted by SJHovey
                              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                              Originally posted by Brenthoven
                              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                                You've been on this board since March of 2008 and you are asking that question "with a straight face"? This has been going on since I have been on this board, and I bet I can go over to GPL and find posts from THIS YEAR, probably even one from you, ripping on our program.
                                I sense snow in the forecast.

Comment

Working...
                                X