Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18 Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18 Part II

The team's got no response. We haven't even tested whether Penn State could respond...they haven't needed to. Not sure whether its talent (hard to imagine), toughness or chemistry. If 3 back to back heart breaking losses isn't the limit...you'd have to figure this team just isn't capable of winning under these circumstances.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      The team's got no response. We haven't even tested whether Penn State could respond...they haven't needed to. Not sure whether its talent (hard to imagine), toughness or chemistry. If 3 back to back heart breaking losses isn't the limit...you'd have to figure this team just isn't capable of winning under these circumstances.
      I think they had a response last night by tying it, and they came within one in the third. IIRC the 2011-12 squad had three losses in row and went on to the FF. That might not happen this season but it doesn't have to be terminal either.

Comment

That team could actually score goals though.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
          That team could actually score goals though.
          Before the season when our hopes were sky-high I don't think any of us thought that scoring goals would be a problem for this team (especially when on the power play!). Now 30 games later, when reality has sunk in, you fear that the team doesn't fall more than one goal behind because the odds of the team coming back and win are very poor.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Just in case anyone cares, the Gophers women will provide a free stream of today's game. Starts at 5pm.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
              Before the season when our hopes were sky-high I don't think any of us thought that scoring goals would be a problem for this team (especially when on the power play!). Now 30 games later, when reality has sunk in, you fear that the team doesn't fall more than one goal behind because the odds of the team coming back and win are very poor.
              Exactly, we even got a PP goal last night, 2 from our best player, and 3 on the night. Theoretically that should be good enough for OT. Instead Robson was slightly off on the one goal, the defense isn’t the elite group some thought it was (still don’t get that logic, they’re inconsistent at best). The problem is that this team has inconsistent D that was covered up by good goaltending pretty often earlier on as well as most of Robson’s games. The offense is consistently bad and 3 goals is practically an anomaly.

Based on the interviews it’s hard to say that Don/Guentzel aren’t pulling the wrong strings. They talk about effort/passion/pride and I don’t think the team lacks that. I think they lack any idea of *** they’re doing on the power play and in terms of an offensive game plan. This has been insanely obvious all year going as far back as the North Dakota series and the coaches biggest takeaway there was face offs I want to say :facepalm:

I really hope the program moves on next year or Don retires. Even if this team somehow got to the frozen four you can tell this program is a far cry from what it was back in 2006. That said if there was ever a year where the NCAA tournament format was beneficial to us it’s this one.
              Last edited by trixR4kids; 03-03-2018, 02:37 PM.

Comment

For the love of all that is holy....................does this team know how to play with a man advantage???????

I mean we're down 2 goals and we skate like we have all freaking day........

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                  Exactly, we even got a PP goal last night, 2 from our best player, and 3 on the night. Theoretically that should be good enough for OT. Instead Robson was slightly off on the one goal, the defense isn’t the elite group some thought it was (still don’t get that logic, they’re inconsistent at best). The problem is that this team has inconsistent D that was covered up by good goaltending pretty often earlier on as well as most of Robson’s games. The offense is consistently bad and 3 goals is practically an anomaly.

Based on the interviews it’s hard to say that Don/Guentzel aren’t pulling the wrong strings. They talk about effort/passion/pride and I don’t think the team lacks that. I think they lack any idea of *** they’re doing on the power play and in terms of an offensive game plan. This has been insanely obvious all year going as far back as the North Dakota series and the coaches biggest takeaway there was face offs I want to say :facepalm:

I really hope the program moves on next year or Don retires. Even if this team somehow got to the frozen four you can tell this program is a far cry from what it was back in 2006. That said if there was ever a year where the NCAA tournament format was beneficial to us it’s this one.
                  Lacking effort is absolutely an issue. Their best games have been the ones where they tried. They have stood around watching a lot versus PSU, including every time they've gotten behind. Yes, the PP might be related to coaching, but they just aren't even executing basic passes at times on the PP.

And why didn't 1. Leon get a double minor embellishment penalty for getting hit in the head, and 2. the Gophers decline the 5 minute PP, since PP have become a momentum killer?

Comment

Hell, I may just go and watch the Gophers women's roundball game

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotaprideonice46 View Post
                      Hell, I may just go and watch the Gophers women's roundball game
                      JFC! Is it tough to understand you should cover a guy standing in front of the net???

Comment

Just need to get an O2 bottle for Casey, play him 45 minutes and tell hime to just score 6 goals. Only chance they have.

Comment

Poor decision to pinch by Johnson leads to another late 2nd PSU goal. There was no reason to pinch there.

And on top of all of this, I have to pick up my kid later so have to stop drinking.
                          Last edited by Koho; 03-03-2018, 07:40 PM.

Comment

I realize no one else is reading, but what was the penalty on Casey that set up that tying PP goal? He checked a guy headed for the net?

Comment

• Hopefully they get knocked down far enough in PWR to not make the NCAA. They would be stealing a spot from a team that's actually good.
                              Another plus would be a lock for a coaching change.
                              National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Rabid Gopher View Post
                                Hopefully they get knocked down far enough in PWR to not make the NCAA. They would be stealing a spot from a team that's actually good.
                                Another plus would be a lock for a coaching change.
                                lol. This is the dumbest thing I have ever read.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X