Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18 Part II

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Air Force is always better than people think. It hurts that they play in a crappy conference. Their athletes are in top shape (they have to still do armed forces training on top of hockey practices, remember). Not saying they should be a 1 seed or anything, but many just look at their seed and chuckle a little, and that's a mistake.
    They were lethargic in the first period tonight and allowed UMD to dominate and getting outshot 0-14. But in the second and third they came alive and looked more like the team they did last night, but couldn't get the equalizer to send it into OT.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Big Ten not looking too bad. Could get 3 teams in the FF.
      National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Air Force is always better than people think. It hurts that they play in a crappy conference. Their athletes are in top shape (they have to still do armed forces training on top of hockey practices, remember). Not saying they should be a 1 seed or anything, but many just look at their seed and chuckle a little, and that's a mistake.
        1 vs 27. This isn't rocket science. If we didn't blow the game against Ferris, fine. Combining the two? No. Air Force was 13-11-4 against Atlantic hockey. I love serratore but if he was the Tactical genius that people make him out to be for beating Saint Cloud they would have beat Duluth too
        Originally posted by SJHovey
        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
        Originally posted by Brenthoven
        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
          1 vs 27. This isn't rocket science. If we didn't blow the game against Ferris, fine. Combining the two? No. Air Force was 13-11-4 against Atlantic hockey. I love serratore but if he was the Tactical genius that people make him out to be for beating Saint Cloud they would have beat Duluth too
          They almost did.

All I'm saying is that AF is no pushover.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            Bad news on Ryan Lindgren for those who hadn't heard:

http://www.startribune.com/with-ryan...m_mid=76223945

He was by far our best D (IMO) and continued to improve throughout the season. I think he's ready.

More troubling is the prospect that CM will depart. I didn't like this comment in the above article: "Mittelstadt declined to comment Wednesday on his status." I don't believe he would have declined to comment if he knew he was coming back for another season. Could he have already made up his mind, and is in negotiations with Buffalo? We should know shortly.
            Funny how everyone has a different opinion. I thought Lindgren was overrated. He was an instigator, caused his fair share of penalties and threw a few hits. But IMO regarding puck skill, he was a step down from Nanne, Johnson and even Zuhlsdorf. Nobody this year could throw a hit like Nanne.

CM loss would be tragic.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
              I only saw about 40% of the game, but SCSU completely dominated play that I saw. But, that's hockey.
              Exactly, it’s frustrating when that happens to your team obviously but those kinds of losses happen and I don’t tend to blame coaches for them. See Yale 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                Funny how everyone has a different opinion. I thought Lindgren was overrated. He was an instigator, caused his fair share of penalties and threw a few hits. But IMO regarding puck skill, he was a step down from Nanne, Johnson and even Zuhlsdorf. Nobody this year could throw a hit like Nanne.
                You're right about people having different opinions, which is perfectly OK. I watched Lindgren very closely as the season progressed and noted a lot of improvement, especially with his decision-making with the puck. Lots of quick, short passes to the open guy that may have looked routine, but weren't. He also improved from the standpoint of remaining physical without going over the top and taking an unnecessary penalty, especially those of the 5 minute variety. He will never be an offensive star, but I predict that he'll playing in the NHL for a long time.

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                CM loss would be tragic.
                On this we 100% agree.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

He got better as the season wore on but he definitely lost a step earlier on due to the injury. Just seemed like that first game against Duluth our D backed so far in and had zero gap control but when they tried to fix it the other team responded by dumping it around him and beating him to it. That wasn’t as noticeable later on though for him. Where he could use improvement is clearly on offense though there are good NHL defensemen who have limited offensive upside but do things to move the puck well and facilitate offense indirectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabid Gopher View Post
                    Big Ten not looking too bad. Could get 3 teams in the FF.
                    Right On!
                    National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Rabid Gopher View Post
                      Right On!
                      So now we know that Gophs were playing against 3 Final four contenders this season....

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                        So now we know that Gophs were playing against 3 Final four contenders this season....
                        With a stellar 3-13-1-1 record against them. Yeah, we don't belong here.
                        You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post
                          The times, they are a-changin'...

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                            Watching AF beat SCSU just reinforced the thought that you never know what can happen once you get in. Makes it still hard for me to understand the people who didn't want MN to make it just to increase odds of a new coach. And frustrated I don't get to see them in at least one more game.
                            If UMn got in, they could easily be right where UMD is, in the Frozen Four, in Mpls, with the other 3 B1G teams.

Anyone who hoped or was happy we didn't get in, in hopes it would help us get rid of Lucia, is either a total dumbass, or just lazy or plain ole EVIL. Somedays I am ashamed to call myself a Gopher fan. And I'm sure some dumbass lazy evil Gopher fans will tell me they'd rather I wasn't now. But whatever. Big State, no way fans of the Gophers wouldn't disagree radically about just about everything. Just a shame we can't agree on hoping for the best for the Gophers. How anyone could hope they didn't make the NCAA tourney is beyond me. Total losers if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by captain beefheart View Post
                              What are you talking about? We didn't lose 13 games to ND, OSU & Mich. We went 2-8-2 vs those 3 teams I believe? am I wrong? 2-9-2 if you include UMD, going 0-6-1 on the road. Losing 3 of those games ON THE ROAD, by just 1 goal each.

We didn't have the greatest season, but until we lost those last 4 games in a row to PSU, we were ranked #8 in the nation. I don't know how in the hell we were able to f it up as bad as we did vs PSU, so I gave up defending the team, but even so, they don't deserve the disrespect you seem to want to give them.

They came .002 away from getting into the tourney, OR just an OT win by a Conf tourney title game loser away, and 3 of our Conf mates are now in the Frozen Four.

People made it out like it was the end of the world when we lost to Michigan, like "how could we lost to those losers", well, seems they weren't as bad as most ppl thought they were.

Comment

The program became stale under Lucia. He didn't have the fire he once had. He said himself that he questioned whether he wanted to keep doing this while at a bantam game. He had started giving more and more media responsibilities to Guentzel and Bell.

This decision, I believe, was mutual, and Lucia seems at peace with it. Most Gopher fans I have heard from are excited for the Motzko era. I certainly am, as I think he is a fantastic talent evaluator and coach. I think he'll put his stamp on the program and do great things.

So, not really getting the bit about Lucia leaving being a mistake.
                                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Working...
                                X