Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18 Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18 Part II

Two weeks ago I'm sure many of us would have paid to watch the stream. Oh how quickly things change. But most of us are not BTN fans, so that certainly isn't helping. If it was an FSN pay stream it may get a few more bites, but not many with the results last weekend.

But don't worry because if we sweep we will all jump right back on the band wagon... maybe.

Comment

Would anyone think that the hockey tournament is more important to the B1G to broadcast than the bouncy ball tournament? The B1G has it's priorities and that's $$$$!

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        Yeah that's a bit perplexing to me as well. I mean I get it - we're used to most games being on TV and you think the playoffs of all games would be covered, but $10? C'mon.
        It's the principle of it. It's the nickle-and-diming thing. You have to pay extra to get the BTN on whatever cable/dish you have, and on top of THAT you have to pay more? D'okay.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
          Would anyone think that the hockey tournament is more important to the B1G to broadcast than the bouncy ball tournament? The B1G has it's priorities and that's $$$$!
          Nope.

EDIT: It kind of stinks because in years past I know ESPN/2 have aired some of the early round games of the B1G basketball tournament. This year BTN airs everything until the semis Saturday and the championship on Sunday which will be on CBS. Even so, there is no guarantee the Gophers/Nitany Lions game(s) would have been televised even if there wasn't basketball on. They could probably make more money on some sort of highlight show for the basketball tournament than the hockey games.
          Last edited by gopher wes; 02-27-2018, 11:46 AM.
          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            It's the principle of it. It's the nickle-and-diming thing. You have to pay extra to get the BTN on whatever cable/dish you have, and on top of THAT you have to pay more? D'okay.
            Before NCHC.tv, I paid 6-10 bucks per game to watch SCSU on b2 networks or whatever dogcrap streaming service they were using at any given time. And I was happy to do it, because otherwise I didn't get to watch the games. And that was to sit at a desk and watch on my computer monitor!!! If there were games at Denver or UND or wherever that were on a regional sports network that were part of my sports package, I thought I was getting a deal because I could watch 2 games for $10 or $12, and I got to sit on the couch.

If you aren't willing to pay $10 to watch a minimum of 2 playoff games, then you just don't care that much. There is no excuse good enough to justify not paying $10 to watch playoff games, meaningless as they may be. Not paying $9 for a beer at the Twins or Wild game? Ok, that's principle. Not paying to watch your team play? That's just being cheap, apathetic or both.
            Originally posted by SJHovey
            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
            Originally posted by Brenthoven
            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

It's still the principle of the thing. When I had cable, I paid the extra for the sports package. BTN has a few alt channels they can use to televise the games this weekend. They've used them in the past, so why not now? Oh yeah, $$$. They want to bleed every last dollar out of the consumer.

NOTE: this is a separate issue from the standard "B1G Sucks When It Comes To Hockey" complaint. If any other channel did this, the complaint would be the same, and deservedly so.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                Gopher fans are complaining about attendance at Mariucci while debating whether to pay $5 or less per game to watch their team in the conference playoffs. Wow.
                Yeah that's a bit perplexing to me as well. I mean I get it - we're used to most games being on TV and you think the playoffs of all games would be covered, but $10? C'mon.
                Yeah, it's all a little silly.

One thing to note is that I'm pretty sure the team pass is less than the full pass.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Principle towards whom, Brent? The U has no control over it and last time I checked the Gophers were your team and not the conference. What does your, "principled stand" gain or achieve?

Comment

Principle towards whom, Brent? The U has no control over it and last time I checked the Gophers were your team and not the conference. What does your, "principled stand" gain or achieve?
                    The B1G streaming will not get my money. I'll listen on the radio. FTR, even if I still had cable, yes I'd have the sports package, and still wouldn't pay that extra-extra to stream, because it's bullsh*. If one is already paying for BTN (or any other channel) one should not have to pay more to get the stream.

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Thread 2017-18 Part II

The B1G streaming will not get my money. I'll listen on the radio. FTR, even if I still had cable, yes I'd have the sports package, and still wouldn't pay that extra-extra to stream, because it's bullsh*. If one is already paying for BTN (or any other channel) one should not have to pay more to get the stream.
                      I actually agree with you. But why don't you just go to the game? Oh wait, my bad. It's the first round of league playoffs I just assumed that you'd be at home. My bad
                      Originally posted by alfablue
                      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                        I actually agree with you. But why don't you just go to the game? Oh wait, my bad. It's the first round of league playoffs I just assumed that you'd be at home. My bad
                        I don't feel like travelling to PSU. It's kinda expensive, and I would need to take days off to do so. Try again, son.

Comment

Hold on, you don't even have cable in the first place? So what is this principled stand you are taking? You don't pay to go to the games, you don't pay for cable to watch the games on TV, how do you consume these games normally?
                          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

"BTN Plus programming includes non-televised games and events available on BTN2Go with a purchase of a BTN Plus subscription. BTN Plus content features live games produced by students at Big Ten universities." From this description, it seems that the PSU games are not BTN content and that the BTN is paying the university for the rights to stream it on BTN Plus.

Either way, I don't think the message that the powers-that-be at the Big Ten will receive is that people think it is unfair that they have to pay for these games, I think they will get the message that no one cares about them. And Gopher fans' insistence that they are entitled to any and all Big Ten content because they have cable is absurd. And if they are going to pay to broadcast the PSU/Gophers series, they would also have to pay to broadcast the OSU/MSU and Michigan/Wisconsin series.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                              Hold on, you don't even have cable in the first place? So what is this principled stand you are taking? You don't pay to go to the games, you don't pay for cable to watch the games on TV, how do you consume these games normally?
                              I'm backing the play of the people who are not paying the extra. As for games, I usually listen on the radio. I'm looking into the PS Vue packages, deciding on whether or not to pull the trigger. Sports would be the only reason I'd go back to cable.

Comment

Time Warner cable here is now Spectrum and I have Big Ten Network as part of my regular cable package which INCLUDES free BTN2GO which has been really nice for the away games as I can stream it on my big screen but the monthly bill for Spectrum is robbery nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
                                X