Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by FMR_Alaskan View Post
    The optics of the situation look horrible to everyone on the outside looking in. The last we heard, it was reported the SP options were presented to the School and... that's it. Why would the school commission those SP reports if they were planning on just mothballing them all and keep at the status quo? Are they serious about saving money? saving hockey? What? I would expect the school to say they are committed to the hockey program, because not saying as much would be crippling.
    In November of 2016, the Regents basically told Johnsen, via a vote, to not kill athletics at either school.

This was shortly after UA submitted an application to the NCAA to consolidate programs at both schools under the 10 team limit, to which the NCAA said ďtry it and see what happensĒ.

Athletics is safe. Funding is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    The effects of the propsed shutdown crushed two recruiting seasons and have had effects on two more. When you take a program that was finishing in the lower half of itís league, thatís not good. And those effects will be felt as this yearís freshman and sophomore classes become juniors and seniors. The damage you donít see is not which names do sign, but the ones who didnít even consider UAA because of it. And guarantee you that whomever is hired will still face questions from potential recruits, their families and advisors about the financial state of the program. Those donít just go away quickly.
    Itís very possible to win in Alaska, at either program. Itís easy to forget Thomas won 18 games his first season, and that UAF was a top-half WCHA program until this Strategic Pathways bull **** happened. I think you are very accurate about the effect on recruiting up there. UAF hasnít pulled a player out of the USHL in three seasons now, I believe. Itís just going to take time to move beyond it.

Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

The effects of the propsed shutdown crushed two recruiting seasons and have had effects on two more. When you take a program that was finishing in the lower half of itís league, thatís not good. And those effects will be felt as this yearís freshman and sophomore classes become juniors and seniors. The damage you donít see is not which names do sign, but the ones who didnít even consider UAA because of it. And guarantee you that whomever is hired will still face questions from potential recruits, their families and advisors about the financial state of the program. Those donít just go away quickly.
    I repeat that Huntsville faced even more dire circumstances and were in real danger of hockey folding. They have overcome it and are becoming more successful every year.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    I repeat that Huntsville faced even more dire circumstances and were in real danger of hockey folding. They have overcome it and are becoming more successful every year.
    Scratch that: the program was pretty much dead for about six weeks, which is how Clarke Saunders ended up being the backup netminder on a national championship team.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    Scratch that: the program was pretty much dead for about six weeks, which is how Clarke Saunders ended up being the backup netminder on a national championship team.

GFM
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

I did give up hope for a week. It was pretty awful.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    I did give up hope for a week. It was pretty awful.

GFM
    I thought UAH temporarily folded when the CCHA didn't accept them as a member (back in 2010?) Not so?

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

UAA paid Thomas a lot more than Huntsville, LSSU, Fairbanks & Ferris. They paid in the same ballpark as Bemidji, NMU, Michigan Tech & Bowling Green. No one is even close to Minnesota State.
    Bowling Green paid out $170,000 two years ago. Has his salary increased in the past two years?

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

I thought UAH temporarily folded when the CCHA didn't accept them as a member (back in 2010?) Not so?
    No, it was later on than that. We scuffled for three years as an independent, and right before that third season, our system Chancellor (acting as interim President) killed the team. In the interim, a new President was installed, and he reinstated the team — but not before we lost what few recruits that we already had, not to mention the fact that all players had been given a release (and Saunders and Mac Roy left).

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    In November of 2016, the Regents basically told Johnsen, via a vote, to not kill athletics at either school.

This was shortly after UA submitted an application to the NCAA to consolidate programs at both schools under the 10 team limit, to which the NCAA said ďtry it and see what happensĒ.

Athletics is safe. Funding is a different story.
    So that soccer team isn't going to show up at UAA anytime soon then?

UAA recruit Chris Van Os-Shaw was just awarded the AJHL's Player of the Year!!

http://www.ajhl.ca/media-centre/news...html?nID=13139

Can't wait to see him play in the Green and Gold.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

UAA recruit Chris Van Os-Shaw was just awarded the AJHL's Player of the Year!!

http://www.ajhl.ca/media-centre/news...html?nID=13139

Can't wait to see him play in the Green and Gold.
    He hasnít signed yet. The coaching staff that recruited him is gone. Donít be surprised if he goes elsewhere. He canít officially sign until November 8. We lost 3 very good recruits in the coaching transition. A verbal means nothing. I will wager a large sum that other recruiters have already contacted him or his advisor since Matt got let go.
    Last edited by davyd83; 03-02-2018 at 11:59 PM.

He hasn’t signed yet. The coaching staff that recruited him is gone. Don’t be surprised if he goes elsewhere. He can’t officially sign until November 8.
    Aren't you just a ray of sunshine!! I guess we will just have to wait and see. The Head Coach is gone, not the rest of the coaching staff. In fact, Thomas probably wasn't the coach that recruited him.

There were around 10 DI schools who contacted him ... yet he agreed to come to UAA. So, he had his chances to go elsewhere before he did commit. And I believe the next signing date is April 11. November 8, 2017 was the early signing date.
    Last edited by Suze; 03-03-2018 at 12:17 AM.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

UAH won 11 games this year. So, if 6 years from now UAA wins 12, will you consider that ďsuccessful.Ē A few years ago you were all ripping Shyak. Our fans were calling for Roqueís head. Fire the coach. It will all get better. Except we fired the coaches and it actually got worse. But donít stop believiní ...hold on to that feeliní that itís the coaches not the system they operate in. Weíll keep seeing you with us at the bottom fighting for that last playoff berth and the recruiting battle for the USHL 3rd & 4th liners, the ones Minnesota State gets as walk ons.

Quote Originally Posted by RapidsCity View Post
    UAH won 11 games this year. So, if 6 years from now UAA wins 12, will you consider that “successful.” A few years ago you were all ripping Shyak. Our fans were calling for Roque’s head. Fire the coach. It will all get better. Except we fired the coaches and it actually got worse. But don’t stop believin’ ...hold on to that feelin’ that it’s the coaches not the system they operate in. We’ll keep seeing you with us at the bottom fighting for that last playoff berth and the recruiting battle for the USHL 3rd & 4th liners, the ones Minnesota State gets as walk ons.
    I'm just saying that Corbett's winning percentage has improved EVERY year (not every 5 or 6 years) since he's been there. Can't say that about Thomas, he was going backward. At least LSSU is heading in the right direction!!

2013-14 U. of Alabama-Huntsville WCHA Head 28 2 25 1 0 0.089
    2014-15 U. of Alabama-Huntsville WCHA Head 38 8 26 4 0 0.263
    2015-16 U. of Alabama-Huntsville WCHA Head 34 7 21 6 0 0.294
    2016-17 U. of Alabama-Huntsville WCHA Head 34 9 22 3 0 0.309
    2017-18 U. of Alabama-Huntsville WCHA Head 28 10 16 2 0 0.393

Matt Thomas:

2013-14 U. of Alaska-Anchorage WCHA Head 28 12 12 4 0 0.500
    2014-15 U. of Alaska-Anchorage WCHA Head 34 8 22 4 0 0.294
    2015-16 U. of Alaska-Anchorage WCHA Head 34 11 20 3 0 0.368
    2016-17 U. of Alaska-Anchorage WCHA Head 34 7 21 6 0 0.294
    2017-18 U. of Alaska-Anchorage WCHA Head 28 4 21 3 0 0.196

Above stats taken from: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=22604
    Last edited by Suze; 03-03-2018 at 11:11 AM.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Manny won his first pro start tonight. 30 svs on 31 shots for Adirondack!

Quote Originally Posted by DTuttle View Post
    Yay! Thanks for sharing. So glad he and Kozun signed with pro teams!!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Yay! Thanks for sharing. So glad he and Kozun signed with pro teams!!
    Kozun got his first assist last night.

Quote Originally Posted by DTuttle View Post
    Having some new alumni in the NHL would be a major plus.

My head coach thoughts:

Nuke it all to hell: John Hill
    Young and still hungry: Joey Crabb (?was? a volunteer coach already and appeared to actually give a crap)
    I can dream: Davis Payne

Thread Information