Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

I love (goal) lamp

Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by RapidsCity View Post
    I’ll take a wild guess that for the past quarter century your university has treated its’ hockey program more like Lake Superior currently does than Minnesota State currently does. Check the rises at MSU, Tech, Bowling Green. Do you know what has coincidentally happened at those schools just prior to their moves up the ladder?
    $$$
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    Just reporting what YOU said.
    I have said some nights we were a 1/2 step behind because we were playing a faster team....... something nonskaters take for folding the tent.
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim Ė the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

UAA just sent out a press release. Thomas is done. The search for a new head coach will start immediately. Thank you UAA!!
    I thought of you the moment that I heard about this yesterday.

I know that Mike Corbett is very happy to see Mantha go!

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
    I have said some nights we were a 1/2 step behind because we were playing a faster team....... something nonskaters take for folding the tent.
    Too funny. One of my last conversations with you I said the games weren't fun any more. You said "They aren't fun for me either. I've about had it up to here". So don't try to say one thing in person and another thing on this forum, cause I will call you out on it.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Too funny. One of my last conversations with you I said the games weren't fun any more. You said "They aren't fun for me either. I've about had it up to here". So don't try to say one thing in person and another thing on this forum, cause I will call you out on it.
    you are mixing conversations up..It happens when you get old and can't remember. case in point...........that you didn't attend all games this year.
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim Ė the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

you are mixing conversations up..It happens when you get old and can't remember. case in point...........that you didn't attend all games this year.
    Attendance went up without the Aces, despite our second worst year in the WCHA. I didn't go to every game, because I could tell this team was going to struggle very early on. And I'm glad I didn't go to every game, didn't miss much. For the majority of the past 25 years it's been a waste of time being a Seawolves Hockey fan.

Good try Richard. I know exactly what you said. You are much older than I am bud. Just like AKSWF, I didn't attend games because it wasn't worth the 100 mile drive each night ... not because I didn't know they were playing. Why drive when I could stay home and watch it on TV?
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Frozen Solid
    Said it before we need to recruit speed, you canít teach it.
    Our D was noticeably slow. We got beat to probably 85% of 50/50 pucks in our zone. Coupled with our dump and chase offense...well the stats donít lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal9K View Post
    Our D was noticeably slow. We got beat to probably 85% of 50/50 pucks in our zone. Coupled with our dump and chase offense...well the stats donít lie.
    Hmmm! Dump and chase hockey, that's coaching. You said it, stats don't lie. That's why it was time for a coaching change.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal9K View Post
    There were SO many things. Couldn't win a faceoff. Power play and penalty kill were terrible. You are so right about the speed. Puck possession was very much in favor of our opponent, thus so many games where we got outshot 2 to 1, or worse.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

So who will this "national" coaching search include? And realistically speaking, who will want to come to UAA and try to turn it around?
    "No matter where you go, there you are"

Quote Originally Posted by bcmsu9196 View Post
    So who will this "national" coaching search include? And realistically speaking, who will want to come to UAA and try to turn it around?
    If anyone is able to turn it around, and I am convinced it's possible with the right coach, it will sure be a feather in their cap! UAA pays a lot more than other WCHA schools, so they are dangling that carrot.

I just saw that Tanner Laderoute has changed his commitment from UAA to Duluth.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by bcmsu9196 View Post
    It's still a D1 Head Coaching position. Somebody will have enough ambition to take this job probably thinking it could be a stepping stone to something else, despite evidence to the contrary. Unless Davis Payne wants to come back to Alaska there probably isn't a hire out there that will get me excited. If they can get consecutive 8th place or better finishes, then I'll have some optimism.

If anyone is able to turn it around, and I am convinced it's possible with the right coach, it will sure be a feather in their cap! UAA pays a lot more than other WCHA schools, so they are dangling that carrot.

I just saw that Tanner Laderoute has changed his commitment from UAA to Duluth.
    UAA paid Thomas a lot more than Huntsville, LSSU, Fairbanks & Ferris. They paid in the same ballpark as Bemidji, NMU, Michigan Tech & Bowling Green. No one is even close to Minnesota State.

I love (goal) lamp

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    UAA paid Thomas a lot more than Huntsville, LSSU, Fairbanks & Ferris. They paid in the same ballpark as Bemidji, NMU, Michigan Tech & Bowling Green. No one is even close to Minnesota State.
    Tech was offering Mel a matching offer to U of M, I think $340,000-$350,000, Shawhan is at $210,000 which is still $65,000 less than Mel was making a year.

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    How much is Northern Michigan paying? I read somewhere, and now I can't find it, that it was $98,000. I found that very hard to believe at the time, so it's most like incorrect. But I would like to know what they are paying.

People keep saying that coaches can't recruit with the uncertainty at UAA. There has been nothing in the news about UAA hockey going away, and the University will tell you just the opposite. They are committed to the hockey program. Heck, LSSU was in the same boat! Their program nearly folded, yet Corbs has started to turn it around. In fact, his winning percentage has improved EVERY year he has been there. It can be done!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

I love (goal) lamp

How much is Northern Michigan paying? I read somewhere, and now I can't find it, that it was $98,000. I found that very hard to believe at the time, so it's most like incorrect. But I would like to know what they are paying.

People keep saying that coaches can't recruit with the uncertainty at UAA. There has been nothing in the news about UAA hockey going away, and the University will tell you just the opposite. They are committed to the hockey program. Heck, LSSU was in the same boat! Their program nearly folded, yet Corbs has started to turn it around. In fact, his winning percentage has improved EVERY year he has been there. It can be done!
    NMU is paying literally double that to Potulny, he's at $196,000 a year.

There were SO many things. Couldn't win a faceoff. Power play and penalty kill were terrible. You are so right about the speed. Puck possession was very much in favor of our opponent, thus so many games where we got outshot 2 to 1, or worse.
    The problem for me, is that happened to every coach. Except maybe Hill since he jumped ship while still having a "decent" team.

People keep saying that coaches can't recruit with the uncertainty at UAA. There has been nothing in the news about UAA hockey going away, and the University will tell you just the opposite. They are committed to the hockey program.
    The optics of the situation look horrible to everyone on the outside looking in. The last we heard, it was reported the SP options were presented to the School and... that's it. Why would the school commission those SP reports if they were planning on just mothballing them all and keep at the status quo? Are they serious about saving money? saving hockey? What? I would expect the school to say they are committed to the hockey program, because not saying as much would be crippling.

Quote Originally Posted by FMR_Alaskan View Post
    The optics of the situation look horrible to everyone on the outside looking in. The last we heard, it was reported the SP options were presented to the School and... that's it. Why would the school commission those SP reports if they were planning on just mothballing them all and keep at the status quo? Are they serious about saving money? saving hockey? What? I would expect the school to say they are committed to the hockey program, because not saying as much would be crippling.
    The effects of the propsed shutdown crushed two recruiting seasons and have had effects on two more. When you take a program that was finishing in the lower half of itís league, thatís not good. And those effects will be felt as this yearís freshman and sophomore classes become juniors and seniors. The damage you donít see is not which names do sign, but the ones who didnít even consider UAA because of it. And guarantee you that whomever is hired will still face questions from potential recruits, their families and advisors about the financial state of the program. Those donít just go away quickly.
    Last edited by davyd83; 03-02-2018 at 03:01 PM.

Thread Information