Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    I don't disagree. But when you have a team full of players who don't want to play for their coach, and quit mid season on him, it does no good to keep that coach around.
    Quit? I saw them in January and they played hard. There was no quit.
    Just like Shyiak before him, Matt never had a chance. News of the possible shutdown blew up 2 recruiting classes and more. Good luck to the next coach.
    Last edited by davyd83; 02-28-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Frozen Solid
    UAA just sent out a press release. Thomas is done. The search for a new head coach will start immediately. Thank you UAA!!
    Interesting to see who applies. At least the University didnít wait 8 years to do something.

Frozen Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    Just like Shyiak before him, Matt never had a chance. News of the possible shutdown blew up 2 recruiting classes and more. Good luck to the next coach.
    I think this spot on truthfully. Weíre making the news because weíre going to eliminate hockey. That is just ridiculous. Scotty Bowman couldnít recruit with that hanging around his neck. And still we managed to get some nice young players. Edit* Good luck to coach Thomas wherever hockey takes him in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal9K View Post
    Interesting to see who applies. At least the University didnít wait 8 years to do something.
    Meanwhile the University neglected the hockey team since joining the WCHA. Look at the other sports since then. Promise a new arena after the AAC, while oil prices were sliding. Bull**** move by a bull**** university.

Frozen Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    Meanwhile the University neglected the hockey team since joining the WCHA. Look at the other sports since then. Promise a new arena after the AAC, while oil prices were sliding. Bull**** move by a bull**** university.
    Couldnít agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal9K View Post
    I think this spot on truthfully. Weíre making the news because weíre going to eliminate hockey. That is just ridiculous. Scotty Bowman couldnít recruit with that hanging around his neck. And still we managed to get some nice young players. Edit* Good luck to coach Thomas wherever hockey takes him in the future.
    Im sure George Gwozdecky & Davis Payne already have their resumes in! Cary Eades is blowing up the ADís phone.

Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

I don't disagree. But when you have a team full of players who don't want to play for their coach, and quit mid season on him, it does no good to keep that coach around.
    Perhaps you and I saw things differently in the last half of the season
    I saw no quit in this team or any of our players.
    None. Nada.
    These guys played as hard as their ability would let them.
    You're wrong on this one Suze.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
    Perhaps you and I saw things differently in the last half of the season
    I saw no quit in this team or any of our players.
    None. Nada.
    These guys played as hard as their ability would let them.
    You're wrong on this one Suze.
    When both nights vs Northern Michigan they are in digging and battling and scoring to bring it within a goal in the final minute, thatís not quitting. To say so is not only to discredit the coach, but the players who were out there sweeping the Fairbanks team that had beat them 4 straight to finish. Iíve seen teams that quit. Thatís not one of them

When both nights vs Northern Michigan they are in digging and battling and scoring to bring it within a goal in the final minute, that’s not quitting. To say so is not only to discredit the coach, but the players who were out there sweeping the Fairbanks team that had beat them 4 straight to finish. I’ve seen teams that quit. That’s not one of them
    Did you see all of UAA's games this season? Because I did. Yeah, they played hard for a few of their second half games, but they also played pretty pathetic for quite a few as well. They still couldn't manage to pull out a win until the last two games when the playoff hopes were already over. I saw too many games that looked like they were just going through the motions. I talked to quite a few people (Alaska Hockey is one), who said the games just weren't fun to watch any more. Hopefully a new coach can liven things up. You simply cannot reward a coach when his team is last or near last in every meaningful statistical category in DI hockey.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

I'm curious why you think Shyiak never had a chance? Can you elaborate on that?
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Did you see all of UAA's games this season? Because I did. Yeah, they played hard for a few of their second half games, but they also played pretty pathetic for quite a few as well. They still couldn't manage to pull out a win until the last two games when the playoff hopes were already over. I saw too many games that looked like they were just going through the motions. I talked to quite a few people (Alaska Hockey is one), who said the games just weren't fun to watch any more. Hopefully a new coach can liven things up. You simply cannot reward a coach when his team is last or near last in every meaningful statistical category in DI hockey.
    Maybe come sit over on my side of the arena and things looked a LOT different then you're describing.
    And yes I saw more than a few of the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
    Maybe come sit over on my side of the arena and things looked a LOT different then you're describing.
    And yes I saw more than a few of the games.
    I know you did, and I do value your opinion. You can honestly tell me the majority of the games were fun to watch this season? Because that is not what most people felt, at least on our side of the arena.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Don't get me stained with you line of shineola... liven up what? ............of course you better demand a big cut in pay.........so some of the better house coachs apply
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim Ė the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
    Don't get me stained with you line of shineola... liven up what? ............of course you better demand a big cut in pay.........so some of the better house coachs apply
    Just reporting what YOU said.

Im sure George Gwozdecky & Davis Payne already have their resumes in! Cary Eades is blowing up the ADís phone.
    Reggie Dunlap might take a shot at it.`
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim Ė the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Frozen Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
    Reggie Dunlap might take a shot at it.`
    Reg would be a good candidate.

Tad Kozun signed w/ South Carolina in the ECHL.

I'm curious why you think Shyiak never had a chance? Can you elaborate on that?
    Iíll take a wild guess that for the past quarter century your university has treated itsí hockey program more like Lake Superior currently does than Minnesota State currently does. Check the rises at MSU, Tech, Bowling Green. Do you know what has coincidentally happened at those schools just prior to their moves up the ladder?

I wanted to echo this. Kato played them in February, won 7-1 on Friday, and took a 4-1 2nd period lead on Saturday. This was a perfect opportunity for a last place team to quit and start thinking about the long flight home. But UAA cut it to 4-3 and was attacking in the offensive zone as time expired.
    Do they lack talent? Obviously, and I know in college athletics, that also falls on the coach. But don't hang the Q-word on that team.

Is John Hill going to apply again?

Regardless, the next coach needs to be a recruiter. Doesn't even need to be good at the X's and O's, can he sell UAA and Anchorage to kids in 2018?

Wonder what kind of contract the new coach will get? *thinking emoji*
    Last edited by FMR_Alaskan; 03-01-2018 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Didn't want to do a double post.

Thread Information