Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
    The same reason you should to take you meds. You ain't never getting better without help. It's not the players we have...It's the players who will not come to a crappy campus
    So, what do you think needs to change on UAA campus that will attract players? Beer and a Rec Center? If you had money and power, what would change at UAA?

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    How does that differ from any other coach since Brush? Its still a better winning percentage than any of the other coaches since then. When you change coaches that many times and the results stay the same, the problems likely run deeper than the nameplate on the coaches door.
    [sarcasm]Well... obviously since Thomas' record is in the fake WCHA, you can't compare his winning percentage to the others and thus he is a much worse coach than Talafous, Hill, or Shyiak. So fire him, hire Dennis Sorenson and things will improve immediately[/sarcasm] (These are the arguments I see on ADN).

I agree with you though. If nothing has changed between 4 different coaching eras, the problem is in the administration and the culture the school breeds.

Quote Originally Posted by FMR_Alaskan View Post
    [sarcasm]Well... obviously since Thomas' record is in the fake WCHA, you can't compare his winning percentage to the others and thus he is a much worse coach than Talafous, Hill, or Shyiak. So fire him, hire Dennis Sorenson and things will improve immediately[/sarcasm] (These are the arguments I see on ADN).

I agree with you though. If nothing has changed between 4 different coaching eras, the problem is in the administration and the culture the school breeds.
    Well, the fact that Thomas is coaching in the nWCHA is indeed a valid point, since there are some on here who claim the nWCHA is the worst league in college hockey. You can't compare apples to oranges.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Check the official signing dates for the last 2 freshman classes. If they were at or after the April signing date, its not a good sign for the program. Why werent they signed to a Letter of Intent the previous November?
    Have you looked yourself?
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

How does that differ from any other coach since Brush? Its still a better winning percentage than any of the other coaches since then. When you change coaches that many times and the results stay the same, the problems likely run deeper than the nameplate on the coaches door.
    Winning percentage by coach: Christiansen-.343 for the three WCHA years, Talafous-.316, Hill-.305, Shyiak-.311, Thomas-.314. As you see Thomas is third on the list by a thin margin over Shyiak and one of Thomas's years was with players Shyiak and Blair recruited.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    So, what do you think needs to change on UAA campus that will attract players? Beer and a Rec Center? If you had money and power, what would change at UAA?
    for starters.....

1.Big party up north..plaques awards for all
    2. Promotions for 12.more on that
    3.Implement the Fisher report which sez the north is not the real UA
    4. Headquarters moves to Anchorage
    5.Pay stipends to all d-1 student athletics passing classes most of the best hockey players have had **** handed to them for years so a instant 6 grand jingle money will load up the e mail box
    6.Have a student center Rec hall for 18,000 students which could serve adult beverages
    7.new dorms
    8.Move some majors to make sense to normal students
    9.No more free rent for whoever....
    10. Former BoR appointed on Whittier Tunnel Commission.......... they got the tunnel vision for that job.
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    Well, the fact that Thomas is coaching in the nWCHA is indeed a valid point, since there are some on here who claim the nWCHA is the worst league in college hockey. You can't compare apples to oranges.
    You ain't going to be happy till he's on your wall.........
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Quote Originally Posted by USCH1 View Post
    Winning percentage by coach: Christiansen-.343 for the three WCHA years, Talafous-.316, Hill-.305, Shyiak-.311, Thomas-.314. As you see Thomas is third on the list by a thin margin over Shyiak and one of Thomas's years was with players Shyiak and Blair recruited.
    My bad. I was looking at records beginning this season.

...3.Implement the Fisher report which sez the north is not the real UA...
    Of the 85 recommendations (for lack of a better term) listed in the 2011 Fisher Report, which ones do you think support your learned opinion? They are numbered 1-85.

...asking for a friend.
    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

* lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post
    Of the 85 recommendations (for lack of a better term) listed in the 2011 Fisher Report, which ones do you think support your learned opinion? They are numbered 1-85.

...asking for a friend.
    And change our name to Alaska State University with this new culture and vision...

Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post

...asking for a friend.
    Tell Tammie .........the ones I like.
    Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 02-28-2018 at 03:11 AM.

You ain't going to be happy till he's on your wall.........
    He already is. Are you Scooby in disguise?

There sure are some interesting comments in the ADN about Thomas. I wonder if the one about "Butcher wanting to play at UAA 4 years ago, but Thomas showing him the door" is true? If it is, that is just sad.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

There sure are some interesting comments in the ADN about Thomas. I wonder if the one about "Butcher wanting to play at UAA 4 years ago, but Thomas showing him the door" is true? If it is, that is just sad.
    call up Coach Thomas and ask him. Don't believe all the talk in the news one guy said he would fill the sully with youth and their parents.....they never showed...

I don't think any of those guys at ADN know anything...

Blue & Gold Until I'm Dead & Cold

Quote Originally Posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
    Good for him, thanks for posting this Ice Angel! They are the farm team for the Lightning. My daughter will be happy - she's an avid Lightning fan.
    Last edited by Suze; 02-28-2018 at 05:43 PM.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Already insane, UAA making it worse

According to the news in Syracuse hes being sent to Adirondack of the ECHL.

UAA just sent out a press release. Thomas is done. The search for a new head coach will start immediately. Thank you UAA!!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

UAA just sent out a press release. Thomas is done. The search for a new head coach will start immediately. Thank you UAA!!
    We might see a bump up in wins like Thomas' first season, but nothing is going to change. Money needs to be invested in the hockey program overall, the last thing we need is continuing this head coach carousel and ignoring the real problems.
    At the end of the day, the Gov Cup is just a trophy, UAA senior Jordan Kwas said. Id rather be in the Final Five every time over winning the Gov Cup.

2017-18 Words: Medicore progam for 25 years due to administration's lack-a-dasical approach to the sports team that gave birth and success to the other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    We might see a bump up in wins like Thomas' first season, but nothing is going to change. Money needs to be invested in the hockey program overall, the last thing we need is continuing this head coach carousel and ignoring the real problems.
    I don't disagree. But when you have a team full of players who don't want to play for their coach, and quit mid season on him, it does no good to keep that coach around.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Thread Information