Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by FMR_Alaskan View Post
    Thanks. Good to be here.

I am well familiar with Richard R, resident troll of ADN. He sometimes makes a point but those points are usually lost in his 'burn it to the ground' tone.

The way this season has gone, something has to be going on behind the scenes that's effecting everything. Seriously, how is UAA this bad, in the watered down WCHA??? SP is the first thing that pops into my head and I feel like maybe the Admins told Thomas where they were leaning that makes it impossible to recruit. A dark cloud over UAA's head, the elephant that can't be ignored.

Or maybe it's as simple as the coach can't coach, the players can't play, and the Admins, spoiled by the women's sports, have no sense of urgency and are content with status quo.

I'm sick of it though. ONE winning season in 24(?) years of WCHA play?!?!?!
    One reason they are having trouble is with the talk last year that the program might be eliminated, they lost their #1 D man and all rookie teamer Wyatt Ege. Last year and this year had their recruiting classes blown up because of the uncertainty as well. Losing Mason Mitchell didnít help either.

Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    One reason they are having trouble is with the talk last year that the program might be eliminated, they lost their #1 D man and all rookie teamer Wyatt Ege. Last year and this year had their recruiting classes blown up because of the uncertainty as well. Losing Mason Mitchell didn’t help either.
    So yeah, this is where it gets really muddy. On one hand, you have this dark cloud over the head of the program that will make it hard to recruit and keep current players from thinking about jumping ship. On the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    People here do not think the hockey team is going way anytime soon. So, who knows.
    I feel that way too. Part of me thinks the school is not taking SP suggestions that seriously, but who knows.

Also, assuming Matt Thomas is done, a new coach is going to have to come in with this uncertainty still over their heads How's the next coach going to recruit or be expected to do any better?
    Last edited by FMR_Alaskan; 02-23-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Hi, long time guest, first time poster. Folks here seem to be in the know. Moreso than where I go to get my UAA scoop (adn.com).

My first question, how serious is the school taking the suggestions brought forth by Strategic Pathways? There never seemed to be any follow up after the outside group brought up their 3 proposals, which honestly the only one of real validation is the one where they cut D1 sports and make UAA strictly a GNAC school.

Secondly, the adn article from last Friday's game was flamed by someone claiming to be Mike Peluso. Does that pass the smell test? I would think if Mike Peluso had something to say about UAA Hockey he'd have a better platform than the adn comments section.
    Mike has serious health problems due to his years of fighting in the NHL. He has seizures all the time, and sometimes can't speak coherently. It actually wouldn't surprise me if he wrote those posts. The number he gave was a Minnesota area code, and he does live there. Who knows. I do know that DD tried to get Cobb to retire his jersey. Cobb promised he would, but I don't believe he ever did.

One thing "he" said that I do agree with is the fact that this team has talent. These players have been successful in their hockey careers prior to coming to UAA.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    Mike has serious health problems due to his years of fighting in the NHL. He has seizures all the time, and sometimes can't speak coherently. It actually wouldn't surprise me if he wrote those posts. The number he gave was a Minnesota area code, and he does live there. Who knows. I do know that DD tried to get Cobb to retire his jersey. Cobb promised he would, but I don't believe he ever did.

One thing "he" said that I do agree with is the fact that this team has talent. These players have been successful in their hockey careers prior to coming to UAA.
    And if someone is fraudulently using his name, their lower than a wormís belly.

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    And if someone is fraudulently using his name, their lower than a wormís belly.
    I agree with you 110%.
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

WCHA 1-5 set in stone....

1.Minnesota State 2. Northern Michigan 3. Bowling Green 4. Bemidji State 5. Michigan Tech

Final playoff berth will be settled tonight...Alaska or Lake Superior State

6-9 still up for grabs for seeding

UAH 33 pts and FSU 31 pts have clinched a playoff spot.

Alaska is eighth with 30 and Lake State has 27...Lakers need three points meaning they have to beat Ferris in regulation or five-minute OT(and Lakers lost to Ferris at Ferris last night) and Alaska loses again to UAA. Lakers only way to get in playoffs. Lakers own tie--breaker "C" over Nanooks/one less conference loss.

Alaska clinches final position with one point tonight period.

Alaska can finish six thru ninth....

Sixth with win and loses by Ferris and UAH...Alaska owns tie breaker "E" over UAH with a win over first place Minnesota State and would win all tie breaker scenarios with Ferris too I believe....

And there could be a three way tie with 33 pts if Ferris beats Lakers in 3x 3 or shoot out. UAH loses and Alaska wins.
    Not sure here...but might favor AK>>> u tell me......

Lake Superior State has since corrected their story from last night saying that were officially eliminated to saying that need to help to advance from this the last weekend of the regular season.....

Please correct me if I am wrong...........

Go Seawolves!!!

33 points with FSU and Alaska wins tie breaker. Alaska and Ferris/both with 31 or 32 points/Ferris wins tie breaker
    And there could be a three way tie with 33 pts if Ferris beats Lakers in 3x 3 or shoot out. UAH loses and Alaska wins. Alaska wins that tie breaker

Chinese calculus going on here....jeez, my brain hurts

mine too

So UAF controls their own destiny, even after they took the night off. I expect they'll take care of business tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    You know what would be the most Seawolf thing ever?

Sweeping those ******** of the north who don't know how to spell or cheer correctly for there own beloved team.
    Called it.

So UAF controls their own destiny, even after they took the night off. I expect they'll take care of business tonight.
    I thought so too, boy were we wrong! UAA was pretty impressive. Heck, when Drygas is giving you compliments all night long you know you are good.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    I thought so too, boy were we wrong! UAA was pretty impressive. Heck, when Drygas is giving you compliments all night long you know you are good.
    You earned those compliments. The Nanooks looked awful for about 100 of the 120 minutes.

On April 8, UAA will have the second-longest winning streak in D1

Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    On April 8, UAA will have the second-longest winning streak in D1
    Stick tap.
    ďAt the end of the day, the Gov Cup is just a trophy,Ē UAA senior Jordan Kwas said. ďIíd rather be in the Final Five every time over winning the Gov Cup.Ē

2017-18 Words: Medicore progam for 25 years due to administration's lack-a-dasical approach to the sports team that gave birth and success to the other teams.

Good comes with the bad, let's take a look at what we are going to lose due to graduation:

4 of the top 5 goal scorers, for fun here are there totals (13, 8, 5, 4)
    2 of the top 5 assist leaders (10, & 8)
    2 of the only 6 players to play more than 30 games
    4 of the top 5 points leaders (19, 15, 13, 12)
    4 of the top 5 PPG scorers (4, 3, 2, 2)
    3 of the 4 GWG scorers
    The top 3 skaters who were even or + (Anholt I am going to assume is gone)
    Top 3 shot takers

Gets even uglier when you look at career numbers but that is expected.
    Yes, players will step up but another bad season scoring wise and losing this much....makes it tough to think what next season is going to be like. Almost got outscored 2 to 1 on a per game basis. 3.65 to 1.91 to be exact.
    Don't even get me started on losing Mantha.

Are you assuming the head coach stays around as well? Because if not, this won't be all that will be lost.
    Last edited by FMR_Alaskan; 02-25-2018 at 09:18 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    Good comes with the bad, let's take a look at what we are going to lose due to graduation:

4 of the top 5 goal scorers, for fun here are there totals (13, 8, 5, 4)
    2 of the top 5 assist leaders (10, & 8)
    2 of the only 6 players to play more than 30 games
    4 of the top 5 points leaders (19, 15, 13, 12)
    4 of the top 5 PPG scorers (4, 3, 2, 2)
    3 of the 4 GWG scorers
    The top 3 skaters who were even or + (Anholt I am going to assume is gone)
    Top 3 shot takers

Gets even uglier when you look at career numbers but that is expected.
    Yes, players will step up but another bad season scoring wise and losing this much....makes it tough to think what next season is going to be like. Almost got outscored 2 to 1 on a per game basis. 3.65 to 1.91 to be exact.
    Don't even get me started on losing Mantha.
    Anholt is not red shirting. The one area coaching staff is not concerned about is the goalie situation. Brody played well when he had the chance, and will probably vie for playing time against Stead. Another goalie with solid numbers is coming in next season as well. Van O-Shaw is a pure goal scorer, and Switzer should be at 100% by next season, another goal scorer. The recruiting class looks strong to me, but I say that every year, ha! If the twins could start producing like they are capable of, and if Butcher wins his appeal for another season, itís not all doom and gloom, IMO.

Are you assuming the head coach stays around as well? Because if not, this won't be all that will be lost.
    Donít be so sure about that! Heís not that well liked by the players.

Thread Information