Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

Blistering Drive

Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by FMR_Alaskan View Post
    This is from Mike McMahon on twitter...

"Part of the problem, IMO is that UAA targeted young up-and-coming assistants. The UAA job is too risky for those candidates. Too many hurdles in the way for success. UAA needs to be targeting guys who know this is their last chance at being a HC, not their first chance

Describes John Hill to a tee...

"Carle is 28. Mayotte is 35. Ellsworth is 37. All three of those guys will be head coaches down the road. Why risk your career by going to UAA and having it fail? It could be a career killer.

That's an understatement. Nobody has ever gone on to a better position from UAA. It's a high risk, high reward job where the risks outweigh the rewards.

https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahonCHN/s...59289079631879
    "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Quote Originally Posted by Bradz View Post
    $226,820.00 divided by 2 and not necessarily equally.
    And I don't even think that is correct. I believe it's $255,000 divided between two.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post

That goes against his own logic on why the other 3 guys weren't right for UAA. Maybe UAF is a little better fit but he won't jump to the UAA job.

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    And I don't even think that is correct. I believe it's $255,000 divided between two.
    The $226,820.00 was from 2015 public records, the $255,000.00 would seem about right three years later, the point was not a bad split all things considered for someone solid to make the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    is that from that study thing that Mike McMahon tweeted about? is that $227k for all university expenses related to those 2 positions or just salary?
    Yes, and includes the extras...if any!

Yes, and includes the extras...if any!
    I don't believe that includes the extras. And there were quite a few of them with the last few coaches, like a cell phone and a car. Plus all the other incentives for winning, butts in seats, etc. UAA does support the hockey program financially and otherwise.
    Last edited by Suze; 04-16-2018 at 06:16 PM.
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by FMR_Alaskan View Post
    That goes against his own logic on why the other 3 guys weren't right for UAA. Maybe UAF is a little better fit but he won't jump to the UAA job.
    McMahon is throwing **** on a wall to see if it sticks. His CHN post also had a couple inaccuracies that would have been easily avoided with 10 minutes of internet research. Neither UAF or UAA is hiring a guy straight out of the NAHL with zero D1 experience, unless there is full on desperation. Especially not UAA which is, let’s face it, a hefty rebuild job. I’d expect UAA to hire Sorenson before Stewart in that situation.

I don’t doubt Trevor Stewart would be a great D-1 coach but he needs some seasoning as an assistant first, much like Josh Hauge.

I do, however think McMahon is right about one thing...UAA needs someone who knows what they are doing at this level, not an unproven commodity.

Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    McMahon is throwing **** on a wall to see if it sticks. His CHN post also had a couple inaccuracies that would have been easily avoided with 10 minutes of internet research. Neither UAF or UAA is hiring a guy straight out of the NAHL with zero D1 experience, unless there is full on desperation. Especially not UAA which is, let’s face it, a hefty rebuild job. I’d expect UAA to hire Sorenson before Stewart in that situation.

I don’t doubt Trevor Stewart would be a great D-1 coach but he needs some seasoning as an assistant first, much like Josh Hauge.

I do, however think McMahon is right about one thing...UAA needs someone who knows what they are doing at this level, not an unproven commodity.
    Gwoz incoming.

Quote Originally Posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
    Heating oil costs make up for any savings in no income/sales tax.

Not every town in Alaska is sales tax free too.
    What did you all do with all the free wood stoves, you got millions of dollars and then millions more for everybody get a new wood stove, 3xpipe,..... all the extras..... .......did you pawn them?
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    Gwoz incoming.
    He could not do the job.........suze would have him in 3
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    Is UAA funding the full 18 scholarships?
    What do you care? Sheesh. You just don't quit.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
    He could not do the job.........suze would have him in 3
    Oh he could do the job ... but I'd have to hold my nose! (And my mouth).

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Gwoz incoming.
    Gwoz’s suits are too fancy for Anchorage.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    Suze, I really enjoy Anchorage. I would love to see the program be successful, as I would for all the teams in our league.

You have to ask yourself, if the university gives the program the tools it needs to be successful, why would the top 3 choices turn down the job? All 3 were good candidates. What makes the program unattractive to such candidates and to potential recruits as well?

I wish UAA well and look forward to being there this year with day or two to Talkeetna, Seward or at least Girdwood thrown in!
    Honestly, those salaries are perfectly in line with the WCHA, I believe every team in the WCHA supports 18 scholarships...I only know of 2 teams that do cost of attendance (MnSU and MTU), i guessing there are others. The biggest problem for UAA/UAF is the perception of what happen just a few years ago, the fact that everything is so far away from the rest of college hockey, and the perception of lack of support even though every indication is that UAA/UAF are willing to do whats necessary to compete in the WCHA.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Yeah, and he's a dasher dancer!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    I don't believe that includes the extras. And there were quite a few of them with the last few coaches, like a cell phone and a car. Plus all the other incentives for winning, butts in seats, etc. UAA does support the hockey program financially and otherwise.
    “NCAA definition for data: Gross salaries, bonuses and benefits provided to head and assistant coaches, which includes all amounts attributable to coaching that would be reportable on the university or related entity W-2 and/or 1099 forms. Examples include car stipend, club membership, entertainment allowance, clothing allowance, television income, and tuition remission.”

Do you even know what a suit is? Hint, it's not the fake t-shirt kind.

Do you even know what a suit is? Hint, it's not the fake t-shirt kind.
    Birthday?

“NCAA definition for data: Gross salaries, bonuses and benefits provided to head and assistant coaches, which includes all amounts attributable to coaching that would be reportable on the university or related entity W-2 and/or 1099 forms. Examples include car stipend, club membership, entertainment allowance, clothing allowance, television income, and tuition remission.”

http://www.bgsuhockey.com/2015/07/wc...5-2016-season/

This lists the coaches yearly salary, possible bonuses, AND additional benefits. This is where I was coming from.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Thread Information