Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

Interesting to see who is going to walk, I could see 3-7 players leaving and after a 2ish win season I don't blame them.

Not having Anholt really hurt, seems we are going to lose 3 of our top 5 goal scorers. Only one player above 6 goals scored.

Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    Interesting to see who is going to walk, I could see 3-7 players leaving and after a 2ish win season I don't blame them.

Not having Anholt really hurt, seems we are going to lose 3 of our top 5 goal scorers. Only one player above 6 goals scored.
    If Butcher gets his appeal approved, he will be a big asset next season. Add to that the scorers we have coming in (Van O-Shaw who is leading the AJHL with 45 goals and 40 assists in 54 games, and Laderoute with 30 goals and 34 assists in 46 games) and they may put something together. Sinclair is a solid defenseman, and Xavier has a lot of upside, if they stay. The one area coaching staff is not concerned about is goal tending.

Schachle is having a decent season with the Ice Dogs. Switzer put up monster numbers in juniors, and he should be better next season, as he is still not 100% after his knee replacement surgery.

I still say coach has to go. I know, I'm a broken record.
    Last edited by Suze; 02-18-2018 at 11:37 PM.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post

Didn't you quit? Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?.
    Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 02-18-2018 at 11:58 PM.
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
    Didn't you quit? Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?Didn't you quit?.
    I guess you could look at it that way. A new coach turning things around can help in that area tremendously. Besides, you told me you've "about had it" too.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

If Butcher gets his appeal approved, he will be a big asset next season. Add to that the scorers we have coming in (Van O-Shaw who is leading the AJHL with 45 goals and 40 assists in 54 games, and Laderoute with 30 goals and 34 assists in 46 games) and they may put something together. Sinclair is a solid defenseman, and Xavier has a lot of upside, if they stay. The one area coaching staff is not concerned about is goal tending.

Schachle is having a decent season with the Ice Dogs. Switzer put up monster numbers in juniors, and he should be better next season, as he is still not 100% after his knee replacement surgery.

No broken record you are right. They need to send this coach packing the day they return from Fairbanks. Save some money from his over paid salary, give a bit more to a good assistant. I don't think it will be hard to find a coach better than this guy for a little less money.

Frozen Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by USCH1 View Post
    No broken record you are right. They need to send this coach packing the day they return from Fairbanks. Save some money from his over paid salary, give a bit more to a good assistant. I don't think it will be hard to find a coach better than this guy for a little less money.
    We had our Aces blinders on when we hired him.

It is a broken record. Fire Dean it will get better. Fire Shyiak it’ll get better. Now lets look into the closing of the program and see if that will help recruiting. Lake State has been doing the same. There are plenty of reasons these stay at the bottom and hold 6th place as a dream.

Both teams could have openings. Put out the selling points you would present to this year’s Grant Potulny, and I guarantee, it will take more than kist the head coaches salary to donit

A new coach turning things around can help in that area tremendously.
    Without some big adjustments that will not happen. It could of, Dr Cobb had it started But Noooo....... your uproad neighbor canned the on campus arena . I know it. Dave83 knows too and sadly some pretend to know it ....but dont get it.

Besides, you told me you've "about had it" too.
    With some Scallywags living in the past.
    Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 02-20-2018 at 02:14 AM.
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    The hundreds of millions the Regents spent on you the last 20 years or so wasn’t enough?
    Drop in bucket to the wasted and pocket lining Billions, for over a hundred years up north...... and only thing to show for it is a brand new 100m + coal burning plant.... but still pick up crappola up at the dump..........earth to village sober up it's 2018.

Drop in bucket to the wasted and pocket lining Billions, for over a hundred years up north...... and only thing to show for it is a brand new 100m + coal burning plant.... but still pick up crappola up at the dump..........earth to village sober up it's 2018.
    It's a $200m+ coal plant. We didn't get an ice sheet in it either, but you don't hear us complaining.
    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

* lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

***?

Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post
    It's a $200m+ coal plant. We didn't get an ice sheet in it either, but you don't hear us complaining.
    Shut down the free takeout at the dump and the whining would set a new bar .....besides you are already on number 2 ice sheet on campus the Paddy Center . is it pretty? the locals think so.......... don't laugh....bad bush manners

Quote Originally Posted by Scrum Bucket View Post
    They need recruiting and better coaching systems, imo. Who wants to watch dump and chase hockey, when they dont chase, and rarely recover the puck. When you play 60% of your season in your end, you will probably not be successful. TV is not the problem, if those people wanted to go to the game they would. If the game's not on tv they will watch something else on tv.
    So what can UAA do to attract the type of coaches & players it hasn’t been able to attract for the last quarter century?

Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    ***?
    Forget it...
    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

* lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by RapidsCity View Post
    So what can UAA do to attract the type of coaches & players it hasn’t been able to attract for the last quarter century?
    With sitting Board of Regents leadership's tunnel"Save the Village at all cost" vision ........nothing.....

Want to have fun....email each of the B o R with that question......I bet you get no reply's....... the slim chance if you do ...paste them here... i vision a goat rope of finger pointing and so what's.

You know what would be the most Seawolf thing ever?

Sweeping those ******** of the north who don't know how to spell or cheer correctly for there own beloved team.

Quote Originally Posted by RapidsCity View Post
    Move the campus to Arizona? Seriously, IDK. Anchorage is Located in a beautiful place. There ought to be a way to convince good players and coaches to come here. Heck, uaF gets its share of talent...... and it's in Fairbanks! I mean holy heck, it gets 60 below there!!! 😀

Hi, long time guest, first time poster. Folks here seem to be in the know. Moreso than where I go to get my UAA scoop (adn.com).

My first question, how serious is the school taking the suggestions brought forth by Strategic Pathways? There never seemed to be any follow up after the outside group brought up their 3 proposals, which honestly the only one of real validation is the one where they cut D1 sports and make UAA strictly a GNAC school.

Secondly, the adn article from last Friday's game was flamed by someone claiming to be Mike Peluso. Does that pass the smell test? I would think if Mike Peluso had something to say about UAA Hockey he'd have a better platform than the adn comments section.

Hello FMR_Alaskan!
    Welcome to the board! I have no idea how to answer your questions. People here do not think the hockey team is going way anytime soon. So, who knows. I favor going the all D-1 route, but there is no money or vision at UAA. So, we have what we have. In terms of SP, who knows how that is going. First the School of Education is going to Fairbanks, then many people cried in Juneau, so now going to Juneau. Sports was supposed to be cut from 13 to 10, but the ski and track teams went crazy. Not to mention Gymnastics. Things are highly dynamic at UAA and the UA system. Gov wants flat funding, UA Prez wants 25m more. I saw that guy named Mike Peluso. It was a nice change from Richard Rhyners rants you always read. So, who knows!

Thanks. Good to be here.

I am well familiar with Richard R, resident troll of ADN. He sometimes makes a point but those points are usually lost in his 'burn it to the ground' tone.

The way this season has gone, something has to be going on behind the scenes that's effecting everything. Seriously, how is UAA this bad, in the watered down WCHA??? SP is the first thing that pops into my head and I feel like maybe the Admins told Thomas where they were leaning that makes it impossible to recruit. A dark cloud over UAA's head, the elephant that can't be ignored.

Or maybe it's as simple as the coach can't coach, the players can't play, and the Admins, spoiled by the women's sports, have no sense of urgency and are content with status quo.

I'm sick of it though. ONE winning season in 24(?) years of WCHA play?!?!?!
    Last edited by FMR_Alaskan; 02-22-2018 at 04:12 PM. Reason: grammar

Thread Information