Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post
    So are you telling me that two up-and-coming bright minds of college hockey had never heard of UAAís struggles or couldnít figure out how to get a pretty good feel for the salary and/or level of program support during the interview process? They had no intention of taking the UAA job. They wanted future leverage. Unfortunately, UAA was used (IMHO).
    They are not like the desperate duo up north......they all have cushy jobs . they were not unemployed or soon to be fired .........2 differnt dump zones . they could say no and still have a job.....
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim Ė the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    I honestly don't know at this point. UAA needs to hire an athletic director and I don't know why they are dragging their feet on that. They offered Thomas $200,000, making him the highest paid employee in the entire athletic department! It is going to take that AND MORE to get the coach we need, but from what was posted earlier, they seem to have lowered that now. Not good. Things look pretty bleak at Fairbanks right now too ... no AD and numerous other coaches have quit on them leaving holes in their program. They aren't being blasted to the moon and back.
    You think the fact that UAA has not hired a permanent AD was a red flag to these candidates?

And I think the reason UAF doesn't get blasted is the bar is so low for their D2 sports anything they accomplish is a surprise. And they don't try to pretend they are something they are not like UAA is currently doing.

Quote Originally Posted by FMR_Alaskan View Post
    You think the fact that UAA has not hired a permanent AD was a red flag to these candidates?

And I think the reason UAF doesn't get blasted is the bar is so low for their D2 sports anything they accomplish is a surprise. And they don't try to pretend they are something they are not like UAA is currently doing.
    Having no AD means not knowing how well your program will be funded, supported or regulated. Thatís a lot of uncertainty to ask coaches or players to accept, especially considering the events of the past 3 years in Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    Having no AD means not knowing how well your program will be funded, supported or regulated. That’s a lot of uncertainty to ask coaches or players to accept, especially considering the events of the past 3 years in Alaska
    We didn't have an AD when Thomas was hired either. IMO, the person currently filling in as AD cares more about hockey than the last two athletic directors we did have.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by FMR_Alaskan View Post

UAF runs about as lean of an athletic program as you can do and still exist. Considering the other option was extinction, Iíll take having no expectations in the D2 sports.

I honestly don't know at this point. UAA needs to hire an athletic director and I don't know why they are dragging their feet on that. They offered Thomas $200,000, making him the highest paid employee in the entire athletic department! It is going to take that AND MORE to get the coach we need, but from what was posted earlier, they seem to have lowered that now. Not good. Things look pretty bleak at Fairbanks right now too ... no AD and numerous other coaches have quit on them leaving holes in their program. They aren't being blasted to the moon and back.
    To be fair, Durham leaving was anticipated for a while now. Iím more annoyed he went to another GNAC team.

WBB has been awful for years now...not much they can do but go up.

Our AD, interim though he may be, is saying the right things...that our kids deserve to have a shot at being successful on the ice or on the court. There hasnít been that kind of attitude about athletics there for a while now.

We didn't have an AD when Thomas was hired either. IMO, the person currently filling in as AD cares more about hockey than the last two athletic directors we did have.
    No AD, major spending cuts and on the brink of extinction in his second year. Thatís not exactly the picture of support and stability coaching candidates want to see.

Things look pretty bleak at Fairbanks right now too ... no AD and numerous other coaches have quit on them leaving holes in their program. They aren't being blasted to the moon and back.
    That's the difference between the old WCHA and the CCHA. Far fewer, and way less vocal, posters here from CCHA teams. The majority of the CCHA teams were also conference members/rivals in every other sport, so there was plenty of rivalry talk there, and Fairbanks was pretty much left alone. From the outside, there was/still is pure hate between the old WCHA teams.

I love (goal) lamp

I think that most fans love to see former players return to coach hockey for the team they played for. There is something to be said for commitment and loyalty. When John Hill took the job at UAA, he said it was his "dream job". Other assistant coaches took the job at UAA because they cared about the program and wanted to help it succeed. All three of the Carle kids have left Alaska to play elsewhere. The family has not supported UAA hockey in any sense of the word (regardless of where their kids played). Do you really think that I believe David Carle all of a sudden cares about UAA succeeding? No. He is simply using the situation as a foot in the door to a head coaching job. Period. If in fact the story is true that it was offered to him and he turned it down, I am glad he did. I can't see him moving the program forward in any way. He's too young and inexperienced to face the challenges at UAA.
    Be honest, no one is taking the UAA job as a permanent home, no matter who takes it, it will be as a stepping stone to try and get a job at a bigger program.
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Releasing any names, be they candidates or finalists is not a good move. One, if a candidate is an assistant and his name comes out leading up to signing day or during to signing period, it could cost his current team recruits. Two, if your finalists turn down the job, you end up with a Snow City omelette on your face.

Releasing any names, be they candidates or finalists is not a good move. One, if a candidate is an assistant and his name comes out leading up to signing day or during to signing period, it could cost his current team recruits. Two, if your finalists turn down the job, you end up with a Snow City omelette on your face.
    Youíre right, but welcome to the wonderful hiring procedures of the University of Alaska. Having community input from people with no idea what theyíre talking about is critical, after all.

But it's typically done ... it's not an anomaly on UAA's part. As far as support, there has not been any talk of cutting hockey for two years now and the UA President is on record supporting it. Pay wise, UAA has a competitive pay scale. Assistants as well. Hardly the bottom of the barrel in the WCHA.
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Youíre right, but welcome to the wonderful hiring procedures of the University of Alaska. Having community input from people with no idea what theyíre talking about is critical, after all.
    I don't understand your statement? What are you talking about? UAA has not asked for community input. It's your school who is having a get together with the entire community up there:

FAIRBANKS, Alaska - We received some breaking news from the University shortly before news time today.
    The University of Alaska has their two finalists for the head coaching job for the Nanook Hockey Team.
    The finalists are last year's Interim Coach Lance West and former Miami of Ohio assistant coach Brent Brekke.
    They will be hosting a public forum and meet and greet with both coaches before making their decision.
    Brekke's public forum will take place at Noon tomorrow at the UAF Patty Center.
    The University encourages fans, boosters, and Alumni to attend and ask questions.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

But it's typically done ... it's not an anomaly on UAA's part. As far as support, there has not been any talk of cutting hockey for two years now and the UA President is on record supporting it. Pay wise, UAA has a competitive pay scale. Assistants as well. Hardly the bottom of the barrel in the WCHA.
    So what were the assistants making at UAA? Anything near the $123,500 the assistants at Minnesota State get? How does the UAA budget, aside from the cost of travel, compare to Bemidji or Michigan Tech? Are you closer to Lake Superior State or Minnesota State in after-travel funding?
    Last edited by davyd83; 04-12-2018 at 08:48 PM.

I don't understand your statement? What are you talking about? UAA has not asked for community input. It's your school who is having a get together with the entire community up there:
    You havenít asked for community input but you did post the finalists. And since somebody leaked the news about you being shot down twice by said finalists, Iíd say someone in the community was trying to voice their opinion.

A friend of mine is interviewing for a mid-level manager position at UAA and they had to go through a ďcommunity forumĒ just for that. UA hiring policy is goofy.

Itís typical? Last year, neither NMU or MTU ever commented on a single candidate. Neither did Omaha or Michigan. Minnesota didnít this year and St Cloud hasnít.

Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    You havenít asked for community input but you did post the finalists. And since somebody leaked the news about you being shot down twice by said finalists, Iíd say someone in the community was trying to voice their opinion.

A friend of mine is interviewing for a mid-level manager position at UAA and they had to go through a ďcommunity forumĒ just for that. UA hiring policy is goofy.
    UA_ posted the finalists as well.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Itís typical? Last year, neither NMU or MTU ever commented on a single candidate. Neither did Omaha or Michigan. Minnesota didnít this year and St Cloud hasnít.
    As someone who has to hire people, the last thing I want is outside influence by clueless people. I have no idea why UA does this. It seems completely counterintuitive.

UA_ posted the finalists as well.
    I know...

So what were the assistants making at UAA? Anything near the $123,500 the assistants at Minnesota State get? How does the UAA budget, aside from the cost of travel, compare to Bemidji or Michigan Tech? Are you closer to Lake Superior State or Minnesota State in after-travel funding?
    Tell me what the assistants are making at UAF, Huntsville, Ferris, and Lake Superior. Considering the pay for the head coaches at those universities are so low, I'd say the UAA pay scale is more than attractive. So tell me what those other schools pay their assistant coaches.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Thread Information