Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
    The other option, is to suck up another 4 or 5 years of the status quo after hiring someone from Anchorage who has a reputation as someone local kids like to play for. Then this coach has to immediately put 10 Anchorage kids on the ice. 10 Anchorage kids can lose games just as well as the 10 existing kids not from Anchorage. And in that 4 or 5 years, you'll build some trust and admiration in the local community and you won't have to put whatever 10 kids from Anchorage you can find ... you'll start getting the cream of the Anchorage hockey crop that goes elsewhere to further their hockey careers. When they let Talafous go, I lobbied and lobbied for Dennis Sorenson but they hired John Hill. Had Hill stayed ... the best local players would already be at UAA.
    In some ways, this is what UAH is doing, except we're trying to do it with the entire Southeast. There's not a lot of top-end talent from Huntsville: the only three guys historically are Jared Ross, Nic Dowd, and now Josh Kestner. (I expect that Kestner will struggle professionally —*he's typically been slow to adjust at every level, and pro hockey won't put up with that. He'd be best to go to Germany straight away.)

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Quote Originally Posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
    I see the head coaching spot is up on the UA careers website. I also see it says itís a grade 81 pay schedule. This means itís $30.56 an hour or around $63,500 a year. Aside from bonuses, will there be other types of salary not included in this number? That doesnít seem very high to me and I had always heard how much the salary is for UAAs coaching position. Or will they just start the individual hired at a higher step based on experience?
    Thomasí contract was on the 81 grade as well

Blue & Gold Until I'm Dead & Cold
    Quote Originally Posted by BGDrew View Post
    Thomasí contract was on the 81 grade as well
    Wonder how they were able to get it to $200k or does that $200k include the potential bonuses and the value of other benefits?

Here was Thomasí contract: http://cdn3.bgsuhockey.com/wp-conten...MattThomas.pdf

I assume his base pay came out of the general university budget for compensation. The remainder might have been supplemented by a booster organization or another athletic department-only fund.

Blue & Gold Until I'm Dead & Cold
    Quote Originally Posted by BGDrew View Post
    Here was Thomasí contract: http://cdn3.bgsuhockey.com/wp-conten...MattThomas.pdf

I assume his base pay came out of the general university budget for compensation. The remainder might have been supplemented by a booster organization or another athletic department-only fund.
    That makes sense! Thanks.

Interesting comments from Thomas.

https://www.adn.com/sports/uaa-athle...ss-commitment/

Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Indeed. But John Hill said something similar when he left ... yet he applied for the job AGAIN when Thomas was hired. Hmmmmm.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    Indeed. But John Hill said something similar when he left ... yet he applied for the job AGAIN when Thomas was hired. Hmmmmm.
    And what was Hill's situation when he re-applied? He was down and out. He couldn't buy a coaching position after getting the axe with the goofers. Anything looked better to him then what his situation was at that time.
    Did you think about what Thomas said???? Listen to "John Hill said something similar"????
    Or just stay on your "it's the coach" train?????
    It's not the coach.
    Last edited by Seawolf Fan; 03-07-2018 at 08:25 AM.

Exactly. Look at all the other sports since the hockey team joined the oldWCHA.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
    And what was Hill's situation when he re-applied? He was down and out. He couldn't buy a coaching position after getting the axe with the goofers. Anything looked better to him then what his situation was at that time.
    Did you think about what Thomas said???? Listen to "John Hill said something similar"????
    It's not the coach.
    There is definitely a lack of commitment from the university to support hockey. McDiffitt can say all he wants about the renovation of the WFSC, etc. It is more than that. It is a level of commitment that creates a culture of success. UAA has no vision when it comes to Athletics. It is not just hockey. I like how Thomas says that the WFSC remodel was "just to keep up" after years of falling behind. Does this require money to accomplish? Yes. But, something has to change in terms of "culture" that will start to reflect on how UAA supports athletics. What is the vision for 5 - 10 years from now? what about 25 years from now? UAA has nothing! Alumni like me have really lost interest, because there is no plan. Where is the UAA hockey booster club? Where is the committment to support hockey from the previous players? What about people like Scotty Gomez? This is why I would rather support Texas State than UAA!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    There is definitely a lack of commitment from the university to support hockey. McDiffitt can say all he wants about the renovation of the WFSC, etc. It is more than that. It is a level of commitment that creates a culture of success. UAA has no vision when it comes to Athletics. It is not just hockey. I like how Thomas says that the WFSC remodel was "just to keep up" after years of falling behind. Does this require money to accomplish? Yes. But, something has to change in terms of "culture" that will start to reflect on how UAA supports athletics. What is the vision for 5 - 10 years from now? what about 25 years from now? UAA has nothing! Alumni like me have really lost interest, because there is no plan. Where is the UAA hockey booster club? Where is the committment to support hockey from the previous players? What about people like Scotty Gomez? This is why I would rather support Texas State than UAA!
    Outsider looking in here. You just fired a coach one (or was it two) years after a very public threat of discontinuing the team? No recruit that has other options is going anywhere near that situation. Your program will be considered in jeopardy until the public can actually see a very large investment being made. Now would be the time for a large fundraiser to get scholarships endowed. That would at least show potential recruits that attempts are being made to improve the situation. Otherwise, it's going to be a revolving door of coaches being unsuccessful.

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
    It's not the coach.
    Some truth to this, for sure. When Hill left, it was a lot of other things ... I personally talked to his brother at length one night at a hockey game, and Hill left in large part because his wife absolutely hated Alaska and wanted to be back in Minnesota. Clearly Hill couldn't give that as the reason he left. Some of this is sour apples, IMO. The fact is this hockey team could play with some of the best teams in the nation, look at how we played North Dakota. He didn't get the most out of his players. Could the University be more committed? Absolutely. But Thomas needed to go. Until you have talked with families who personally dealt with Thomas as the coach for their son, don't tell me he wasn't a big problem.
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Some truth to this, for sure. When Hill left, it was a lot of other things ... I personally talked to his brother at length one night at a hockey game, and Hill left in large part because his wife absolutely hated Alaska and wanted to be back in Minnesota. Clearly Hill couldn't give that as the reason he left. Some of this is sour apples, IMO. The fact is this hockey team could play with some of the best teams in the nation, look at how we played North Dakota. He didn't get the most out of his players. Could the University be more committed? Absolutely. But Thomas needed to go. Until you have talked with families who personally dealt with Thomas as the coach for their son, don't tell me he wasn't a big problem.
    Let's hope that the committee to pick the next coach is very well represented. The next coach is on notice. But, and also, with no committment to the University for Hockey, it might be slim pickings. I am hoping not though.

Nothing. Will. Change. That’s what I got out of this article. Thomas is echoing the sentiments of coaches before him. I agree this Athletic Department has no long term vision. They are spoiled by Women’s Basketball and Volleyball, and if they had a desire for excellence there would’ve been a lot more changes occurring, not just in hockey.

I can’t speak for the relationships Thomas had with his players but it would be foolish to chalk the past 4 years up to just a bad coach. Thomas makes some valid points in his quotes.

How many games did Anholt plsy after series? And if your only talking with families, youíre only hearing one very skewed side of the story. Ive heard plenty of moms & dads who thought their kid was NHL bound, then couldnít even make it out of the ECHL.

Quote Originally Posted by FMR_Alaskan View Post
    Nothing. Will. Change. Thatís what I got out of this article. Thomas is echoing the sentiments of coaches before him. I agree this Athletic Department has no long term vision. They are spoiled by Womenís Basketball and Volleyball, and if they had a desire for excellence there wouldíve been a lot more changes occurring, not just in hockey.

I canít speak for the relationships Thomas had with his players but it would be foolish to chalk the past 4 years up to just a bad coach. Thomas makes some valid points in his quotes.
    And nothing will change until oil prices sky rocket or Alaska majorly diversifies their earnings portfolio.

Nothing will change for 5-10 years, maybe see a double digit win season upcoming with the new blood.

Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    Nothing will change for 5-10 years, maybe see a double digit win season upcoming with the new blood.
    Hell, the next UAA coach to win the Governor's Cup should have a statue erected. We have 9 year old kids in Anchorage who don't know what a Governor's Cup is!

Quote Originally Posted by RapidsCity View Post
    How many games did Anholt plsy after series? And if your only talking with families, youíre only hearing one very skewed side of the story. Ive heard plenty of moms & dads who thought their kid was NHL bound, then couldnít even make it out of the ECHL.
    Not sure what you are asking about Anholt? He was injured in the non-conference game against UND and was out the entire season.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by RapidsCity View Post
    I've heard from others connected to hockey aside from the parents, some closely connected to the program and who have been for many, many years. I'm not going to name any names, but believe me I've had an ear full.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

I've heard from others connected to hockey aside from the parents, some closely connected to the program and who have been for many, many years. I'm not going to name any names, but believe me I've had an ear full.
    Everything you have stated is correct and we know this guy had to go. But, he does give a good interview! Now that is water under the bridge and it is time to move forward and hope they hire the right coach. The question is what can we do as fans and a community to help move this team in the direction it needs to go? And yes, the University needs to support hockey as their signature sport and as a D1 program. There are schools that would like to have the opportunity to have a D1 hockey program and we have it. I hope we can get this figured out, this is great hockey to watch and its right here in our state.

Thread Information