Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

There was a lot of talk earlier about assistant coach pay and a few of the other schools pay rates were posted but Seawolf pay was never posted.
    Anyone know what it is?

Kings affiliate

On Twitter that Mayotte has also turned it down.
    So...what now?

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
    There was a lot of talk earlier about assistant coach pay and a few of the other schools pay rates were posted but Seawolf pay was never posted.
    Anyone know what it is?
    Yep, but I won't post it. I'll just say it's very competitive. Look people, there have been a ton of rumors on this thread that are not true. UAA is prepared to support hockey financially and they just need to find the coach with a passion for UAA who WANTS to be there. My gut tells me Louis Mass or John Hill. Maybe another alumni also applied, who knows.
    Last edited by Suze; 04-14-2018 at 05:05 PM.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    So...what now?
    Stop assuming rumors are true?

Quote Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    So...what now?
    If he did then he wasn't the right coach for UAA. They will find the right fit. Eventually.
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    Yep, but I won't post it. I'll just say it's very competitive. Look people, there have been a ton of rumors on this thread that are not true. UAA is prepared to support hockey financially and they just need to find the coach with a passion for UAA who WANTS to be there. My gut tells me Louis Mass or John Hill. Maybe another alumni also applied, who knows.
    Ton of untrue rumors and you claim to have real answers but won't post them.
    That kinda leaves things a little open doesn't it?

I knew that Hill was an NHL scout, but I didn't realize that Glen Thornborough was the Chief Revenue Officer for the Bruins. Before that he was the Senior Vice President of Sales with TD Garden and the Bruins.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

UAA making me go insane

I was reading the ADN comments and I canít believe the support for John Hill. Why the hell would anyone consider a guy who quit on the program (his dream job) to go back to be an assistant. If he truly loved the program he would have found a way to stay and not blamed his leaving on assistants pay. Keith Morris and Jack Kowal by no means were great assistant coaches. Is Jack even coaching anywhere? Keith Morris is coaching in the Alaska Oilers program which letís face it is a long way from the D1 level. Sorry John just because the chips are down for you doesnít mean you deserve a sympathy hire. Sorry Mike Peluso I know you want him back but heís not the right guy. Iím all for seeing a young eager coach who is willing to play an up tempo style taking the reigns. Let the kids have fun and the fans will have fun which will help put my rears in the seats.

Correct me if Iím wrong but itís been years since I remember seeing Brian Kraft at a UAA game. I see the Bethards, Eric Lawson and Justin Johnson at the games regularly. Maybe they should be on the committee since they actually show up and support the program.

Quote Originally Posted by bostonbruins View Post
    I was reading the ADN comments and I canít believe the support for John Hill. Why the hell would anyone consider a guy who quit on the program (his dream job) to go back to be an assistant.
    The ADN comments also think that Dennis Sorensen should be coach and that only bad coaching is what's hindering this program from being successful. We don't even know if John Hill applied, just that 'Mike Peluso' said he did.

Nothing has changed since Hill left. In fact, I'd say he saw the very early signs of the programs deterioration and jumped ship. Nothing has changed. I get it he just wants to coach but why go back to a job knowing your bosses won't put you in a position to succeed?

Any possibility that part of the problem stems from a new coach not being able to bring in his own staff? The AC salary structure is such that a new HC if given the okay could bring in some solid ACs with dynamic personalities and solid recruiting abilities.

Blistering Drive

Quote Originally Posted by bostonbruins View Post
    I was reading the ADN comments and I canít believe the support for John Hill. Why the hell would anyone consider a guy who quit on the program (his dream job) to go back to be an assistant. If he truly loved the program he would have found a way to stay and not blamed his leaving on assistants pay. Keith Morris and Jack Kowal by no means were great assistant coaches. Is Jack even coaching anywhere? Keith Morris is coaching in the Alaska Oilers program which letís face it is a long way from the D1 level. Sorry John just because the chips are down for you doesnít mean you deserve a sympathy hire. Sorry Mike Peluso I know you want him back but heís not the right guy. Iím all for seeing a young eager coach who is willing to play an up tempo style taking the reigns. Let the kids have fun and the fans will have fun which will help put my rears in the seats.

Correct me if Iím wrong but itís been years since I remember seeing Brian Kraft at a UAA game. I see the Bethards, Eric Lawson and Justin Johnson at the games regularly. Maybe they should be on the committee since they actually show up and support the program.

You have one of the best coaches in all of junior hockey right in your backyard. Trevor Stewart.
    "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

óBrett Hull

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eye4talent View Post
    You have one of the best coaches in all of junior hockey right in your backyard. Trevor Stewart.
    He does seem like a great direction to go for one of the 2 Alaska schools...
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Blue & Gold Until I'm Dead & Cold

He's not exactly in UAA's backyard. Anchorage is 360ish miles from where Trevor is coaching.

Blistering Drive

Quote Originally Posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
    He's not exactly in UAA's backyard. Anchorage is 360ish miles from where Trevor is coaching.
    As opposed to all the candidates who applied from the lower 48? Obviously the blind leading the blind in both the UAA and UAF coaching searches. What a goat rodeo
    "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

óBrett Hull

As opposed to all the candidates who applied from the lower 48? Obviously the blind leading the blind in both the UAA and UAF coaching searches. What a goat rodeo
    Goat Rodeo, exactly.

Maybe that's why we don't hear his name. Doesn't want to touch either program with a 10 foot pole.

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    What is the AC salary structure?
    $226,820.00 divided by 2 and not necessarily equally.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradz View Post
    $226,820.00 divided by 2 and not necessarily equally.
    is that from that study thing that Mike McMahon tweeted about? is that $227k for all university expenses related to those 2 positions or just salary?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    Even accounting for the cost of living differential, thatís pretty comparable to the upper/middle of the WCHA
    I would think cost of living is a wash when you consider no state income taxes or state sales tax...

Blue & Gold Until I'm Dead & Cold

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I would think cost of living is a wash when you consider no state income taxes or state sales tax...
    Heating oil, electricity and housing costs make up for any savings in no income/sales tax.

Not every town in Alaska is sales tax free too.

This is from Mike McMahon on twitter...

"Part of the problem, IMO is that UAA targeted young up-and-coming assistants. The UAA job is too risky for those candidates. Too many hurdles in the way for success. UAA needs to be targeting guys who know this is their last chance at being a HC, not their first chance

Describes John Hill to a tee...

"Carle is 28. Mayotte is 35. Ellsworth is 37. All three of those guys will be head coaches down the road. Why risk your career by going to UAA and having it fail? It could be a career killer.

That's an understatement. Nobody has ever gone on to a better position from UAA. It's a high risk, high reward job where the risks outweigh the rewards.
    Last edited by FMR_Alaskan; 04-16-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Thread Information