Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
    Be honest, no one is taking the UAA job as a permanent home, no matter who takes it, it will be as a stepping stone to try and get a job at a bigger program.
    It's not even a stepping stone. Look at where all the former coaches are now. Talafous never coached again, Hill went back to being an assistant and is out of coaching as well, and Shyiak is now a scout. We'll see what happens to Thomas but this job is more of a career killer than a stepping stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    Considering everything that has transpired, that may be smart. Either way, someone will find a way to bash UAA for the decision. That was a very interesting article.

Someone mentioned that here earlier, that this could be an issue for an applicant.

Also interesting is that 43 people have applied for the job. Clearly a lot of people want it, but I wonder how many "highly qualified" want it? It also mentions "The school has been mum about various online reports providing details about the search, all of them based on unidentified sources". I'm thrilled to hear that Brian Kraft is an advisor to the search committee. Hopefully we hear something soon and all this drama will be over.
    Suze, It really is a goat rope over there at UAA. They have a "Math" professor as an advisor. Yes, Kraft is good, but most of the stakeholders on the committee appear to be part of the unsuccessful athletic department that has no vision whatsoever. No wonder I have lost all faith and decline to support this program. As an Alum, I am pretty ashamed of this cluster show.

I know there are a lot of Alumni that feel the same as me. People will say, "well why don't you step up and do something?" Well, UAA does not incorporate feedback very well. It was the same way when I served on the UAA Alumni Board of Directors. This school has a small-minded mentality with no vision. It is difficult for me to support a program that is not willing to make changes to support Division I hockey or have a vision for athletics as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by FMR_Alaskan View Post
    It's not even a stepping stone. Look at where all the former coaches are now. Talafous never coached again, Hill went back to being an assistant and is out of coaching as well, and Shyiak is now a scout. We'll see what happens to Thomas but this job is more of a career killer than a stepping stone.
    I agree, so why even want this job? Experience?

Shyiak spent one year as a scout. He has been the top assistant at Western Michigan for the past four.

Talking Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    Shyiak spent one year as a scout. He has been the top assistant at Western Michigan for the past four.
    Someone should update his Wikipedia page

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    I agree, so why even want this job? Experience?
    Ambition?

\_(ツ)_/

UAA needs to hire an athletic director and I don't know why they are dragging their feet on that.
    Does McDiffit not want to be the permanent AD?

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Someone should update his Wikipedia page
    who looks at wikipedia when it comes to hockey coaches? I go straight to elite prospects or hockeydb...
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    who looks at wikipedia when it comes to hockey coaches? I go straight to elite prospects or hockeydb...
    Guilty. I'll admit my noob status and know better for next time.

The ADN Comments crowd is in a ferver that John Hill applied (again) and should be given the job right now. Haven't seen his name at all floated to this point.

So, do you guys have a new coach yet? Or are you just taking some time to bask in the afterglow of being happy that Carle turned down the offer? Phew, what a relief, right? Anybody but a guy at a top-5 program who has learned under 2 great coaches like Montgomery and Gwozdecky who have won 3 national titles between them at Denver. Thank goodness you didn't get THAT guy!

So what were the assistants making at UAA? Anything near the $123,500 the assistants at Minnesota State get? How does the UAA budget, aside from the cost of travel, compare to Bemidji or Michigan Tech? Are you closer to Lake Superior State or Minnesota State in after-travel funding?
    Don't forgot our high COL. Flying to the lower 48 could take a half day depending on airline/connection/or if lucky a direct flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratu View Post
    So, do you guys have a new coach yet? Or are you just taking some time to bask in the afterglow of being happy that Carle turned down the offer? Phew, what a relief, right? Anybody but a guy at a top-5 program who has learned under 2 great coaches like Montgomery and Gwozdecky who have won 3 national titles between them at Denver. Thank goodness you didn't get THAT guy!
    Again, would've loved to see Carle get the job. Probably woulr've had the lowest salary too.

I'm positive your last name isn't Carle.

Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    Don't forgot our high COL. Flying to the lower 48 could take a half day depending on airline/connection/or if lucky a direct flight.
    An assistant making $70k in Bemidji would have to pull down roughly $100,000 in Anchorage just to break even.

Already insane, UAA making it worse

An assistant making $70k in Bemidji would have to pull down roughly $100,000 in Anchorage just to break even.
    Hmmm. I have done a lot of cost comparisons as we have discussed leaving Alaska. Generally speaking, we are better off staying right here. Zero income tax. Zero sales tax. And we get free PFD money. Looking quickly at Bemidji, the 2016 income per capita is only $18,543. That is below poverty level people!
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Does McDiffit not want to be the permanent AD?
    I'm assuming not since they are looking for one.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Bleeding Green & Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    No wonder I have lost all faith and decline to support this program. As an Alum, I am pretty ashamed of this cluster show.
    But you care enough to continually check this thread, and take the time to express your frustrations for a program you have lost all faith in, and decline to support. Interesting....

I'm assuming not since they are looking for one.
    Still have to do a search since hes an interim.

Already insane, UAA making it worse

Olivier Mantha was recalled by Syracuse from Adirondack. Looks like hell get his first AHL start.

Thread Information