Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 460 of 678

Thread: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

  1. #441
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alaxsxaq
    Posts
    946
    Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    Fairbanks should have an even harder time then, because their budget is less than UAA's and so is the payscale.
    They also have a better team, tradition of winning, better tradition of fan support, better alumni support $$$, handful of players that are now in the NHL. Need I continue?

  2. #442
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alaxsxaq
    Posts
    946
    Quote Originally Posted by RapidsCity View Post
    If UAA gives its coaches the resources to be successful, why has the program only won 35% of its games over the last 20 years? What would you consider success? 6th place?
    Fundamental problems since Brush got us into the oldWCHA, the hockey team is the neglected teenager of our sports teams.

  3. #443
    mmf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    2,640

    Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

    So are you telling me that two up-and-coming bright minds of college hockey had never heard of UAA’s struggles or couldn’t figure out how to get a pretty good feel for the salary and/or level of program support during the interview process? They had no intention of taking the UAA job. They wanted future leverage. Unfortunately, UAA was used (IMHO).
    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

    * lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

  4. #444
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,357

    Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post
    So are you telling me that two up-and-coming bright minds of college hockey had never heard of UAA’s struggles or couldn’t figure out how to get a pretty good feel for the salary and/or level of program support during the interview process? They had no intention of taking the UAA job. They wanted future leverage. Unfortunately, UAA was used (IMHO).
    I don't know Carle so I can't speak to him, but I don't believe that at all with Ellsworth. And honestly, do you remember hearing any of this kind of stuff surrounding MTU's last hire? A couple candidates might have turned down the job but no one ever heard that publicly...and I tried to get that info many different ways. Seems like UAA is also failing to keep things quiet.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  5. #445
    Frozen Solid
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    723

    Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

    So somehow we’ve turned “hiring” a new coach into a sideshow?

  6. #446

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,086
    Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    They also have a better team, tradition of winning, better tradition of fan support, better alumni support $$$, handful of players that are now in the NHL. Need I continue?
    Please do continue...

  7. #447

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,086
    Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post
    Unfortunately, UAA was used (IMHO).
    UAA didn’t just get used, they got screwed by whoever gave this story to Scholossmann and CHN. The whole thing is embarrassing, and it reeks of a strong lack of professional courtesy.

  8. #448
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    93

    Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hal9K View Post
    So somehow we’ve turned “hiring” a new coach into a sideshow?
    Social Media and a lack of credible sources will do it every time!

  9. #449
    Suze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    21,582

    Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    UAA didn’t just get used, they got screwed by whoever gave this story to Scholossmann and CHN. The whole thing is embarrassing, and it reeks of a strong lack of professional courtesy.
    Well said. So who gave the story to CHN?
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

    From ADN:

    "According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

    UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

  10. #450
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    A Hockey Desert
    Posts
    104

    Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post
    So are you telling me that two up-and-coming bright minds of college hockey had never heard of UAA’s struggles or couldn’t figure out how to get a pretty good feel for the salary and/or level of program support during the interview process? They had no intention of taking the UAA job. They wanted future leverage. Unfortunately, UAA was used (IMHO).
    Cam's name was thrown around with the opening at Tech last year. I believe on the Joe S hour, Joe mentioned that he and Cam talked about if there would be a fit for Cam on the Tech staff. Per Joe, they decided that he would be better off at UML. That leads me to believe Cam really wants to move up in the hockey world/be a head coach. I don't think this was leverage. He is at that age where he could be a head coach. It appears someone/something told him it wasn't a good fit/career move.

  11. #451
    Blue & Gold Until I'm Dead & Cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    2,007

    Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    They also have a better team, tradition of winning, better tradition of fan support, better alumni support $$$, handful of players that are now in the NHL. Need I continue?

  12. #452
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Not Alaska
    Posts
    48

    Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Husky View Post
    That leads me to believe Cam really wants to move up in the hockey world/be a head coach. I don't think this was leverage. He is at that age where he could be a head coach. It appears someone/something told him it wasn't a good fit/career move.
    This is the most logical explanation. Anybody who's really serious about being a head coach is going to do his homework. Maybe UAA looks a lot different from the East Coast, but when he got up close and personal he saw how bad things really are.

    How do you take this news if your Mayotte? You're the third choice after the first two passed when offered the position. Do you jump in with both feet now?

    This rate Dennis Sorenson's going to be the head coach because they'll be no one else left that's interested.

  13. #453
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,770

    Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by FMR_Alaskan View Post
    This is the most logical explanation. Anybody who's really serious about being a head coach is going to do his homework. Maybe UAA looks a lot different from the East Coast, but when he got up close and personal he saw how bad things really are.

    How do you take this news if your Mayotte? You're the third choice after the first two passed when offered the position. Do you jump in with both feet now?
    We need to thank Strategic Pathways Phase 2 reduced funding for a large part the no thanks .......... But as usual the Alum will come to the rescue..just like last time and the time before. ....

    Me thinks thats why Da Banks is looking for a fund raiser.....after Butterbean's midnight retrogression to jr's.

    Quote Originally Posted by FMR_Alaskan View Post
    This rate Dennis Sorenson's going to be the head coach because they'll be no one else left that's interested.
    As long as Dennis can dodge the Cannin' lady for 3 years he would at least double his pension....
    Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 04-11-2018 at 02:42 PM.
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.


    Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

    I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

  14. #454
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    614

    Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by FMR_Alaskan View Post
    This is the most logical explanation. Anybody who's really serious about being a head coach is going to do his homework. Maybe UAA looks a lot different from the East Coast, but when he got up close and personal he saw how bad things really are.

    How do you take this news if your Mayotte? You're the third choice after the first two passed when offered the position. Do you jump in with both feet now?

    This rate Dennis Sorenson's going to be the head coach because they'll be no one else left that's interested.
    Honestly, as a UAA Alumni (1997), it really makes me sad that we are seeing this clown show. It is highly apparent that UAA does not have any vision towards its athletic programs, especially the hockey program. Year-after-year I continue to see the athletic program decline and multiple people and coaches jump ship. I do not blame any of those potential coaches declining the position after what they saw at UAA. It really is a cluster show over there. Hoping the Alaska Nanooks have a better experience. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

  15. #455
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,770

    Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    UAA didn’t just get used, they got screwed by whoever gave this story to Scholossmann and CHN. The whole thing is embarrassing, and it reeks of a strong lack of professional courtesy.
    Hello... they both turned it down after the books were opened up. So one was drygulched here and the other saw the handwriting on the wall.......maybe we will get the left overs from the village tryouts.... the cheater or the canned one...

    (bonus).he could be bundled with the 4 canned player's that he recruited.
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.


    Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

    I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

  16. #456
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,820

    Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

    Maybe Belleville will fire Kurt Kleinendorst and UAA can get him. He really loved long road trips in Huntsville.

    [I'm sorry, UAA fans, that this is happening.]

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  17. #457
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,357

    Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
    Hello... they both turned it down after the books were opened up. So one was drygulched here and the other saw the handwriting on the wall.......maybe we will get the left overs from the village tryouts.... the cheater or the canned one...

    (bonus).he could be bundled with the 4 canned player's that he recruited.
    I will say that its just as likely that ultimately once they got serious about making a decision, certain aspects of life that removed from family just didn't seem to make sense at this stage. I feel horrible for UAA for the way this has played out in public.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  18. #458
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    4

    Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by RapidsCity View Post
    Why would Carle want the job? You have people on these boards trashing him and his family. Ooooooohhh...how dare they wear a Denver jersey when their sons came to play. Why would Ellsworth take it if they don’t give him the resources to win. It would be a career killer. At UAA, they love the coach for a year or two, then they turn on him and call for his head when he can’t win with the peanuts he gets to run the program.
    I think this is hilarious--they offer the job to two people who could use some head coaching experience, and both turn it down. As to the Carle family--Matt Carle came to DU, won two national titles there, won the Hobey Baker award, they honored his brother's scholarship when his heart condition was discovered and kept him on board as coach to coach a perennial powerhouse that has won 3 titles recently, 8 total. And some pitiful alaska fans are whining about his family being proud DU supporters because he didn't want to attend their rundown program? If that kind of idiocy pervades alaska and its fanbase, perhaps it's no wonder they are having the problems they are having.

  19. #459
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Not Alaska
    Posts
    48

    Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pratu View Post
    I think this is hilarious--they offer the job to two people who could use some head coaching experience, and both turn it down. As to the Carle family--Matt Carle came to DU, won two national titles there, won the Hobey Baker award, they honored his brother's scholarship when his heart condition was discovered and kept him on board as coach to coach a perennial powerhouse that has won 3 titles recently, 8 total. And some pitiful alaska fans are whining about his family being proud DU supporters because he didn't want to attend their rundown program? If that kind of idiocy pervades alaska and its fanbase, perhaps it's no wonder they are having the problems they are having.
    I didn't read it that people are mad that the Carle's chose DU over UAA, moreso that people feel that the Carle's have not contributed to the Alaska hockey scene, period.

    Scott Gomez came back and has made significant contributions to Anchorage hockey. Have the Carle's done something similar?

  20. #460
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alaxsxaq
    Posts
    946

    Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

    Maybe not all hope is lost?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaizeRage View Post
    They had to re-open their coaching search last time the job was open and come up with six new candidates after people in Anchorage didn't like any of the four finalists. I could see them re-opening the position again.

    I wouldn't call this the beginning of the end. We're at least at the midway point.
    Totally forgot about that.
    “At the end of the day, the Gov Cup is just a trophy,” UAA senior Jordan Kwas said. “I’d rather be in the Final Five every time over winning the Gov Cup.”

    2017-18 Words: Medicore progam for 25 years due to administration's lack-a-dasical approach to the sports team that gave birth and success to the other teams.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 3 guests)

  1. bigblue_dl

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •