Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

Re: UAA 18-19 offseason, wait what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    I'm not happy they offered it to Carle, but I am elated he turned it down. Ho hum.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    Gee, what an insightful first post.

You know, Tech was in the same boat at one time. All it takes is the right coach to start winning, and winning fixes most things.
    It wasnít just about the right coach, it was the program finally being willing to support that new coach properly, based on that CHN article it doesnt appear that UAA is ready for that yet. Sorry Suze.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    It wasnít just about the right coach, it was the program finally being willing to support that new coach properly, based on that CHN article it doesnt appear that UAA is ready for that yet. Sorry Suze.
    Fairbanks should have an even harder time then, because their budget is less than UAA's and so is the payscale.
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

You know, Tech was in the same boat at one time. All it takes is the right coach to start winning, and winning fixes most things.
    Suze, Tech, Bowling Green, Mankato, St Cloud and many others didnít go from the bottom to the top by simply hiring a new coach. They invested in their programs like they are D-1 programs. Pearson first turned Tech down. And his salary wasnít the reason. But once they gave him the money to hire the assistants he wanted, the increases in recruiting, travel, equipment and amenities for the players, he certainly reconsidered. Will UAA pay itís assistants $123,500 like Minnesota State does? Will they pay what Tech, Mankato, Bemidji or NMU does?

Why would Carle want the job? You have people on these boards trashing him and his family. Ooooooohhh...how dare they wear a Denver jersey when their sons came to play. Why would Ellsworth take it if they donít give him the resources to win. It would be a career killer. At UAA, they love the coach for a year or two, then they turn on him and call for his head when he canít win with the peanuts he gets to run the program.
    Last edited by RapidsCity; 04-10-2018 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RapidsCity View Post
    Why would Carle want the job? You have people on these boards trashing him and his family. Ooooooohhh...how dare they wear a Denver jersey when their sons came to play. Why would Ellsworth take it if they donít give him the resources to win. It would be a career killer. At UAA, they love the coach for a year or two, then they turn on him and call for his head when he canít win with the peanuts he gets to run the program.
    Again, the UAA budget is much bigger than the UAF budget. It's not peanuts.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    Suze, Tech, Bowling Green, Mankato, St Cloud and many others didn’t go from the bottom to the top by simply hiring a new coach. They invested in their programs like they are D-1 programs. Pearson first turned Tech down. And his salary wasn’t the reason. But once they gave him the money to hire the assistants he wanted, the increases in recruiting, travel, equipment and amenities for the players, he certainly reconsidered. Will UAA pay it’s assistants $123,500 like Minnesota State does? Will they pay what Tech, Mankato, Bemidji or NMU does?
    Hard to offer the money that some other programs are offering when you don't have as much as they do to work with.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Hard to offer the money that some other programs are offering when you don't have as much as they do to work with.
    so you donít give the coach the tools to win that other coaches have, yet you blame the coach when you donít win. You still have a roster that had its freshman and sophomore classes with huge holes due to the possibility of the program folding and an incoming freshman class that just lost its best player. The two best applicants have turned the program down. Why do you think that is? I hope to see a day where UAA is a consistently competitive team. I hope that UAA finds its way.

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Except UAA did support Thomas. They gave him the resources to be successful. He proved in year one he could win there.

His downfall was he had no idea how to run a college program. Itís not coincidental, IMO, that he was most successful using players he didnít have to recruit. As soon as that group of seniors Shyiak recruited graduated the wheels fell off.

so you donít give the coach the tools to win that other coaches have, yet you blame the coach when you donít win. You still have a roster that had its freshman and sophomore classes with huge holes due to the possibility of the program folding and an incoming freshman class that just lost its best player. The two best applicants have turned the program down. Why do you think that is? I hope to see a day where UAA is a consistently competitive team. I hope that UAA finds its way.
    And just how do YOU know what UAA does and doesn't give their coaches? You have no idea what you are talking about. As Squarebanks just noted, Thomas WAS given the resources to win. UAA did support him and the program.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Except UAA did support Thomas. They gave him the resources to be successful. He proved in year one he could win there.

His downfall was he had no idea how to run a college program. Itís not coincidental, IMO, that he was most successful using players he didnít have to recruit. As soon as that group of seniors Shyiak recruited graduated the wheels fell off.

When it went public that the program could die, it killed recruiting.

When it went public that the program could die, it killed recruiting.
    No........ you got to be ****ting me...... recruiters used it to their advantage. Suze did you know that? ........wow I didn't know...
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim Ė the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Shyiak also recruited good freshman that year and Thomas destroyed them.

Hockey Dead Zone via New Hampshire via Michigan via Minnesota

Yes, I was there for that time and know how painful it can be. I want to see all WCHA school improve so we consistently get 2+ teams in the NCAAs. My only requirement, they lose to Tech.

Hockey Dead Zone via New Hampshire via Michigan via Minnesota

And just how do YOU know what UAA does and doesn't give their coaches? You have no idea what you are talking about. As Squarebanks just noted, Thomas WAS given the resources to win. UAA did support him and the program.
    Suze, enlighten us. In a realistic world, what would it take for UAA to be a significantly better team? (Besides a better coach) What level of success do you feel is realistic?

If UAA gives its coaches the resources to be successful, why has the program only won 35% of its games over the last 20 years? What would you consider success? 6th place?

so you donít give the coach the tools to win that other coaches have, yet you blame the coach when you donít win.
    BINGO!

In all seriousness, this is a terrible, TERRIBLE look. You have 3 candidates and the first two choices turn down the job? How's that going to help recruiting?

What would you consider success? 6th place?
    Right now? 8th place would get us back in the playoffs.

If UAA gives its coaches the resources to be successful, why has the program only won 35% of its games over the last 20 years? What would you consider success? 6th place?
    Theyíre not my team, but Iíd start with being in the playoffs and winning some non-conference games so theyíre not a big reason the conference tanks in the PWR.

Thread Information