Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Northeastern Huskies 2017-18 Season Thread Part II: My Dog's Better Than Your Dog

Re: Northeastern Huskies 2017-18 Season Thread Part II: My Dog's Better Than Your Do

Ouch... c'mon hobey winner. Go hard now!

Now UVM Cat in Georgia

Re: Northeastern Huskies 2017-18 Season Thread Part II: My Dog's Better Than Your Do

Jezzus, those are two pretty freakin unlikely goals by Michigan! C'mon NU!

Good play draw up now.

Quote Originally Posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
    Jezzus, those are two pretty freakin unlikely goals by Michigan! C'mon NU!
    Yah. Felt sorta Houdini of them to pull those out.

This is where he makes his money.

Man... disappointing. Loved this NU team.

great gm.. we got sloppy at end.. got to hit the open net.

mich forecheck & backchecked very well. esp the backcheck.. very impressive.

g'luck to H.E. in the NCAAs.. thank you seniors! thank you team for a solid season!

Today the better team won! Nice job Michigan! Please beat BU tomorrow. If you have a period of hockey where you can only put 2 shots on goal in 20 minutes you don't really deserve to win. It was a good season for NU and a great run. I think we would have likely lost to BU tomorrow as trying to beat a team 3 or 4 times in one season would have been tough and they are playing their best hockey. See you all in October ! Its been fun ! AG -3 and they had a great game plan for him. That was the difference these last few games! Also, I am going out on a limb but I am thinking he can kiss that Hobey goodbye. It's tough when they double team you and you can't create time and space but I think you have seen his last game as a Husky my guess is next week he is playing in Vancouver and we will be a "normal" HE team again and I can get back at what I do best....complain! Cheers!
    Last edited by RossiRules; 03-24-2018 at 07:22 PM.

Looking to take my son to the final tomorrow. Is anyone looking to sell their seat?

All Hail
    Quote Originally Posted by RefereeGrav View Post
    Looking to take my son to the final tomorrow. Is anyone looking to sell their seat?
    I have 2. First row behind the glass to the left of a net. 118/A/5&6

Tough way to end a great season. Our best players were pretty ordinary today and it's always hard to advance when that's the case. Thank you to the seniors (and Gaudette)
    2016 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
    2018 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

#GaudetteForHo8ey

Good try guys. Michigan was big and strong and wore you down. And when you have the last change they can really bottle up your top line. Northeastern got tired by the middle of the second period. On the other hand, I'm surprised that NU didn't make an adjustment on defense by backing off a little. Two of the goals (all three really) were the direct result of the bigger Michigan forwards getting their shoulder inside the defensemen and cutting around them. They must have done it twelve times. I was waiting for NU to back off their D-men so they couldn't be skated around so easily but they never adjusted.

But good season. And these words may come back to haunt me, but I didn't really want to play you again. "Tough to beat a team four times" notwithstanding, I just don't think it's a good matchup for us given the style we seem to have morphed to right now (tight defense and opportunistic scoring). Getting into a shootout would be tough. But good luck next season!

Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    Northeastern got tired by the middle of the second period.
    An under-talked about aspect of our season was the fact we basically played with 5 d-men after Garrett Cockerill was dismissed from the team. Murphy played a shift or two against PC and I don't think Carrabino saw the ice tonight. In both games you could see our d-men losing their legs a bit late in the game. Not really sure what other solution JM had, since I'd also put out tired guys that I trust over rested guys that I don't, but it was a tough situation.
    2016 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
    2018 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

#GaudetteForHo8ey

Quote Originally Posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
    An under-talked about aspect of our season was the fact we basically played with 5 d-men after Garrett Cockerill was dismissed from the team. Murphy played a shift or two against PC and I don't think Carrabino saw the ice tonight. In both games you could see our d-men losing their legs a bit late in the game. Not really sure what other solution JM had, since I'd also put out tired guys that I trust over rested guys that I don't, but it was a tough situation.
    I hear you. Tough situation. And I understand about going with the guys you trust. Now would probably not have been the time to deviate from that strategy.

Easier to do in NCAA tourney games at least because of the TV timeouts

Release the Hounds

Two evenly matched teams tonight. It was frustrating to think that NU didn't play their best in the past two weeks when it really mattered. It's hard to frown on a season with a Beanpot but...with the talent they had, losing the past two weeks feels a little hollow. Thanks to the team for a great season, it was a lot of fun.
    Let's Go Huskies!

Northeastern University '02

Michigan basically took Providence's playbook from last week and neutralized our first line. They clogged the area between the circles and cut down on our passing lanes. Lets face it, we really only had one scoring line and when they were shutdown, no other line picked up the slack.

Anyhow, great season and I look forward to next year. What's the odds that Gaudette returns for his senior season? Based on what I saw this season, I hope we got some goal scorers coming in because we are losing the only three we had (if Gaudette goes).
    "We just didn't get the lucky bounces..."

Vancouver is making a big push to sign him. I'd be stunned if he returns. Had you guys winning this regional, tough way for it to end against PC and Michigan.

Broken Glass

Tough loss but we got beat fair and square. The refs werenít calling anything tonight and that never favors us. Gonna be a much different looking team next year. I hope Madigan recruits some size in the future. We donít need a huge team like Michigan but we do need some bigger bodies. Hopefully an exciting off season.

I just got home. I've gone from very sad after the game to very angry about how we played to frustrated about the team not playing up to its full potential to currently just being somber about a season ending, one with historic levels of success, yet ending sooner than any of us wanted and thought it should. I understand everyone saying we could have/should have achieved more than what we did. That's all valid. But think about it- 6 NU teams in 80+ seasons have made the NCAA Tournament. Only 5 have won the Beanpot. This team was one of those. This team was special, featuring three of the best players we've ever seen on our campus. This season, going into it, we thought we could contend for Hockey East, contend for the Beanpot, contend for the NCAAs. This team exceeded many preseason expectations including some of our own on this board. This was a very good season that could have been great. I would not trade the Beanpot for a win today, as I saw one NU fan propose. Heck, I'm not sure I'd trade that Beanpot for one visit to the Frozen Four, where nothing after is guaranteed.

I'll have more thoughts coming to the blog in the coming days. Right now, I'm sad that another year is over, sad to see our slate of seniors who brought so much to this program graduate, sad to see one of the best goal scorers, and best overall players, in program history get ready to jump to the NHL...I'm sullen more than anything right now.
    "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Thread Information